AP names Gardner Minshew starting QB

NYRaider

34 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Shedeur Sanders. Yes he is cocky and a diva. But he is a very refined passer with great ball placement, clean fundamentals, good mobility, etc. I think he can be a plug and play in this offense and excel from day 1.

I don't know much about him other than him being Deion's son.  Is he good or is he being hyped up because of who his dad is?  Cocky/ diva doesn't sound good to me.  He better be a stud if he is going to pull that **** in the NFL.

Most mocks I have seen have Sanders going top 10 so for the sake of this conversation let's assume both Sanders and Beck go top 10 and we are picking 15th.  Where does that leave us on the hunt for a QB or are will be rolling into year two with both stashes battling it out to see who the better bum is... 🤮

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

29 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Shedeur Sanders. Yes he is cocky and a diva. But he is a very refined passer with great ball placement, clean fundamentals, good mobility, etc. I think he can be a plug and play in this offense and excel from day 1.

Dude is a stat padder that takes way too many sacks 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't know much about him other than him being Deion's son.  Is he good or is he being hyped up because of who his dad is?  Cocky/ diva doesn't sound good to me.  He better be a stud if he is going to pull that **** in the NFL.

Most mocks I have seen have Sanders going top 10 so for the sake of this conversation let's assume both Sanders and Beck go top 10 and we are picking 15th.  Where does that leave us on the hunt for a QB or are will be rolling into year three with both stashes battling it out to see who the better bum is... 🤮

He's Teddy Bridgewater

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It's crazy how quickly it went from AP is a top tier coach that can turn around this franchise to being terrible is acceptable. The moving of the goal posts this year is going to be sickening to watch

Who said it's acceptable? I'm just saying I'd rather go 1-15 than 6-10 in a vacuum

42 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Most mocks I have seen have Sanders going top 10 so for the sake of this conversation let's assume both Sanders and Beck go top 10 and we are picking 15th.  Where does that leave us on the hunt for a QB or are will be rolling into year two with both stashes battling it out to see who the better bum is... 🤮

We can easily trade up into the top 10 for a QB if we need one.

I think Minshew gives us the best chance to win now and AP needs to win with some big name coachs out there next year...

AOC looks good in the pocket but 1 out of 4 throws looked 'off' and his lack of mobility will make it difficult to get a 1st if any yellow hits the field. I thought of AOC as a protector of the football so that pick 6 really hurt him. 

Minshew has experience and is mobile which can get a defender to hesitate and help get an extra 1st down or two. Rolling to his right happens too often and rolling to his left looked unnatural and forced. So DC's will be scheming for him quickly.

Overall the team doesn't look good but we will win a few to be out of the top 10 picks with the possibility that we play better all together and squeak into the playoffs. We shall see.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We can easily trade up into the top 10 for a QB if we need one.

Easy is a bit if a stretch.  We could have traded up this year and didn't. 

We also watched 6 QB's go off the board within the first 15 picks this year and next year there looks to be two according to many mocks.  If that is the case and only two are slotted to go within the top 10 that will drive the price up as teams will be clamoring to get one of those two players.  

If TT does desire to move into the top 10 and offer multiple #1's to do so he better be certain the QB is a stud or he will be un employed in short order.

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Has nothing to do with Pierce. I hope he sticks around next year when we have a shot to get him a QB

I wonder how much leash Pierce really has. Just 7 wins wouldn't hurt his standing. But if we bottomed out to, say, 4 wins? 

I'm not clamoring for him gone. Like you, let's give him a shot with a QB. 

That said, his bread and butter was supposed to be pep talks and defense. Not gonna lie, the vanilla calling aside, our D looks like it regressed yet again like we do every year. In both games so.fsr, they've looked out-muscled in the front 7. Last night, against backups, our starters looked pretty pedestrian outside of coverage. Pass rush was nonexistent and our LBs look like they're getting shoved backwards and bowled over far too often. 

I suppose my big question is the unanswerable- just how much did Mark truly want AP? 

Let's assume for a second that for whatever reason, Harbaugh was never going to happen (I think this is closer to fact, as it was such an obvious move that it not happening had to be spurred by something). Who else was there that ultimately took a job elsewhere? Nobody  we were linked to. 

My concern, as someone who wants AP to get a chance, is that he got his chance because we had no other option and quickly became one of the less desirable openings once we played ourselves out of a top 5 pick, and that Davis isn't going to give him nearly as much leash as he should. With how we've largely looked, it worries me a bit. There's vanilla playcalling, but guys getting shoved around isn't the result of vanilla calls, but a lack of heart and grit. If AP doesn't get that out of them, what is there? 

Very little seems to have fundamentally gone "right" since AP took over. We won a few games and got hyped, yes, but:

●We played ourselves into a pickle as far as draft slot. 

●We arguably overachieved with the assistance of an emotional high and McDaniels being ousted. 

●We had no link to a slam dunk HC. 

●Our preferred OC bailed and we wound up hiring a guy who was one of the worst OCs in the league thenlast year or so as a clear last ditch effort to not promote a random positional coach to OC. 

●We didn't get linked to any sexy GM, rather we took in the guy who's job we literally lost him a few months prior. 

●The QBs we could've tried to go after all miraculously went off the board before our pick- all SIX of them. 

●Our starters are getting pushed around by backups and our pass game already feels conceded as a lost cause. 

Those aren't all things within AP's control, but they're the kind of things that cause HCs to lose their jobs when the wins don't come along to mitigate the damage. 

Our "reset" from Josh McDaniels and Dave Zeigler was more of a soft reboot, almost as if trying to salvage something rather than admit clear defeat. Fair to AP or not, I gotta wonder how much can go wrong when it really starts to matter before Mark starts thinking that this regime looks more like a hack job Frankenstein than it is. 

^ It all stems to Mark Davis. Constant poor GM choices and poor Head Coach choices. He was also the one who kept Carrin 2017 and fired everyone and thought Carr was better than he is. He also hired McDaniels still trying to something out of the guy. 

I didn’t like any of our GM or Coaching hires in real time. I didn’t want Mayock, McKenzie, Del Rio, Gruden, Telesco, AP, none of them. 

Mark Davis got us into Vegas, hip-hip-hooray! He also is a complete moron when it comes to football but thinks he isn’t.

8 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

I’m also not gonna be very impressed if we win Week 1. It’s possibly the worst offensive roster in the NFL. Herbert and nothing. Patriots have a better offensive roster lol.

I'd put money on the fact that Harbs is going to run circles around us. 

He was my #1 choice for HC. 

50 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Easy is a bit if a stretch.  We could have traded up this year and didn't. 

We also watched 6 QB's go off the board within the first 15 picks this year and next year there looks to be two according to many mocks.  If that is the case and only two are slotted to go within the top 10 that will drive the price up as teams will be clamoring to get one of those two players.  

If TT does desire to move into the top 10 and offer multiple #1's to do so he better be certain the QB is a stud or he will be un employed in short order.

The team will be pretty complete across both sides of the ball. I agree with the staff's desire to build up the OL/DL this year. Let's see how it plays out. If we are indeed a "QB away", we have all our picks to package to move up for the guy.

41 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I wonder how much leash Pierce really has. Just 7 wins wouldn't hurt his standing. But if we bottomed out to, say, 4 wins? 

I'm not clamoring for him gone. Like you, let's give him a shot with a QB. 

That said, his bread and butter was supposed to be pep talks and defense. Not gonna lie, the vanilla calling aside, our D looks like it regressed yet again like we do every year. In both games so.fsr, they've looked out-muscled in the front 7. Last night, against backups, our starters looked pretty pedestrian outside of coverage. Pass rush was nonexistent and our LBs look like they're getting shoved backwards and bowled over far too often. 

I suppose my big question is the unanswerable- just how much did Mark truly want AP? 

Let's assume for a second that for whatever reason, Harbaugh was never going to happen (I think this is closer to fact, as it was such an obvious move that it not happening had to be spurred by something). Who else was there that ultimately took a job elsewhere? Nobody  we were linked to. 

My concern, as someone who wants AP to get a chance, is that he got his chance because we had no other option and quickly became one of the less desirable openings once we played ourselves out of a top 5 pick, and that Davis isn't going to give him nearly as much leash as he should. With how we've largely looked, it worries me a bit. There's vanilla playcalling, but guys getting shoved around isn't the result of vanilla calls, but a lack of heart and grit. If AP doesn't get that out of them, what is there? 

Very little seems to have fundamentally gone "right" since AP took over. We won a few games and got hyped, yes, but:

●We played ourselves into a pickle as far as draft slot. 

●We arguably overachieved with the assistance of an emotional high and McDaniels being ousted. 

●We had no link to a slam dunk HC. 

●Our preferred OC bailed and we wound up hiring a guy who was one of the worst OCs in the league thenlast year or so as a clear last ditch effort to not promote a random positional coach to OC. 

●We didn't get linked to any sexy GM, rather we took in the guy who's job we literally lost him a few months prior. 

●The QBs we could've tried to go after all miraculously went off the board before our pick- all SIX of them. 

●Our starters are getting pushed around by backups and our pass game already feels conceded as a lost cause. 

Those aren't all things within AP's control, but they're the kind of things that cause HCs to lose their jobs when the wins don't come along to mitigate the damage. 

Our "reset" from Josh McDaniels and Dave Zeigler was more of a soft reboot, almost as if trying to salvage something rather than admit clear defeat. Fair to AP or not, I gotta wonder how much can go wrong when it really starts to matter before Mark starts thinking that this regime looks more like a hack job Frankenstein than it is. 

If we bottom out to 3-4 wins, Gruden’s coming back with a 1st round QB. Calling it now. 

• Like 2