Commanders trade with Browns for K Cade York

Ok...here's the lowdown on Cade York's professional career. Only 23. Still very young.

From Wiki: 

Cleveland Browns

York was drafted by the Cleveland Browns with the 124th overall pick in the fourth round of the 2022 NFL draft.

He began his career converting all four field goal attempts and both extra point attempts against the Carolina Panthers, including a game-winning 58 yard field goal in the 26–24 win. York's performance in his first professional game led to American Football Conference Special Teams Player of the Week honors.] York finished his rookie season converting 35 of 37 extra-point attempts and 24 of 32 field goal attempts.

After struggling in the 2023 preseason and the Browns acquiring Dustin Hopkins from the Los Angeles Chargers via trade, York was waived on August 29, 2023.

He was then signed by the Giants. Hurt his quad & then released. Never played for them.

Maybe a change of scenery here, will change his career for the better. He's got a monster leg.

I wish him luck!

I'm not going to miss Patterson. Lol

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

HUH, you only get to use it ONCE ? really?

That’s not what I meant. I meant that on the waiver wire after take a player, other teams then take other players and then it goes through again. Like it goes team by team for each player. So, if we picked up York on the waiver wire, we’d have to wait 32 more time to pick another player. I think each player enters the waiver wire if they only have so much accrued seasons.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s not what I meant. I meant that on the waiver wire after take a player, other teams then take other players and then it goes through again. Like it goes team by team for each player. So, if we picked up York on the waiver wire, we’d have to wait 32 more time to pick another player. I think each player enters the waiver wire if they only have so much accrued seasons.

I never knew it worked that way . I thought we got second waiver pick of any/ all players cut .

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Not sure if our kicking situation is settled. Cade York hasn’t been that great. He hasn’t lived up to being a 4th rd pick but I guess we’ll see how this works out. 

Agree although I think this is a long game move.  A guy like this is going to have ups and downs.  York has upside, but we aren't getting a finished product.  He is basically a rookie when it comes to nfl kickers.

It seems with these young kickers, they need to either go on a run of good kicks early or they wash out.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Oh did they change it because it didn't matter before if a team claimed a player. Their spot in the waiver wire stayed the same. Its why the Cardinals kept claiming everyone last year.