Commanders trade Jahan Dotson to Eagles

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Quick check-in on the pick value chart for the trade indicates overall late 3rd round pick value (equivalent to pick #93).

I’d give us a little boost on that for two reasons: (1) we get multiple surplus picks and (2) we get what amounts to a pick swap between MIA’s 3rd and PHI’s 3rd. The two surplus picks are 7ths, true, but they are very early 7ths at least. Not unreasonable to think that Peters and company could find a contributor with one of those picks. 

Overall, I think I’m falling in the “meh” area on this trade. I’m not thrilled about it, but I’m also not really upset about it.

I think it does need to be said that Jahan sucked last season. His efficiency in terms of yards per route run was absolutely awful — and while some of it was that he didn’t get thrown to much, he also didn’t do very much with the targets he did get. We all hoped that the blame fell on EB for bad OCing or Sam for bad QBing, but now here’s a new regime and they obviously weren’t impressed either. There’s not a lot of margin for error with receivers who are both small and not elite athletes. If they thought he was in for a repeat performance of last year, then 3rd round value is going to end up looking like a steal.

That said, the part that does bother me is that once again, they’re making a move that diminishes the quality of the group Jayden Daniels will need to lean on. I’m not that pressed about Dotson himself, but I am super pressed about Jayden’s development. Even if Jahan is a bust as a 1st round WR, he still has to be better than whoever they’re going to keep as WR5 or WR6 now. So is this one of those scenarios where a move is a “win” in a vacuum — but in context, we actually hurt ourselves moving forward?

It’ll definitely be interesting to see if this move leads to a follow-up transaction to replace Jahan. I am certainly a bit concerned about the fact that our OT and WR groups appear to have gotten worse over the course of the same offseason where we drafted our new franchise QB. 

Get.Out.Of.My.Head!!

I was thinking of posting something like this and well, you already did.

Simply put, this guy was a 1st round pick going into his 3rd year and he was out playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. 

Not.Good.

He was behind the others on the depth chart and was one of those veterans that people were speculating could be a surprise cut.

I agree that much of that WR room is a big question mark, but I have to think that the additional pick can be used to grab another WR (Aiyuk) or an OT.

But like I said before, this situation is the perfect situation to evaluate AP as a GM. #2 pick and tons of cap space. We'll know in a year or so if he is a good one or not. But right now, I'm not slamming this move. Dotson is gonna be 3rd or 4th (at best) on their depth chart. We won't see him nearly as much as people think. And even when we do, he was allegedly having trouble getting separation (and getting off the line) from our corners in camp. What do people think he's gonna do in games?

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

The Rivera drafts

2020 draft

Round Ovr Name Position Note
1 2 Chase Young DE Off the team. Traded for a late 3rd rounder in 2023.
3 66 Antonio Gibson RB Okay player. Left team after contract. Signed with Pats.
4 108 Saahdiq Charles OT Often injured. Signed by Titans but retired.
142 Antonio Gandy-Golden WR Lasted 1+ season before getting cut and retired.
5 156 Keith Ismael C Lasted 1+ season before getting cut. With Cardinals.
162 Khaleke Hudson LB 4 seasons on & off with team. On 1 year deal w/ Saints
7 216 Kamren Curl SS Pretty good safety who signed a two year deal with Rams in 2024 after deal concluded.
229 James Smith-Williams DE Spent 4 years on and off with team. Signed one year deal with Falcons. 

ZERO players from 2020 still with the team. Five did make it to the end of their contract but none were brought back. 

2021 draft

1 19 Jamin Davis LB Below average/bust LB prospect. On the bubble 2024.
2 51 Sam Cosmi OT Pretty good starting guard. 
3 74 Benjamin St-Juste CB Mediocre at best corner. 
82 Dyami Brown WR Breakout year? Has shown nothing so far.
4 124 John Bates TE Solid for his job TE2 at peak.
5 163 Darrick Forrest SS Solid play, but injuries have derailed him. Cut candidate?
6 225 Camaron Cheeseman LS Hilarious. No one picked him up.
7 240 William Bradley-King DE WSH 2021-2023. With Patriots.
246 Shaka Toney DE Suspended for gambling. Free Agent.
258 Dax Milne WR Three seasons with team but never did much. Raiders.

Six players still with team. One good, one solid role player, one player who played well and fell off a cliff, one below average corner, one guy looking to breakout, one bust first rounder. Cosmi/Bates probably the only two who might be back on 2nd contracts. 

2022 draft

1 16 Jahan Dotson WR Traded today for a net late 3rd rounder.
2 47 Phidarian Mathis DT Bust, who is never on the field. Also a solid RB. 
3 98 Brian Robinson Jr. RB
4 113 Percy Butler FS 3rd or 4th safety but hasn't done much.
5 144 Sam Howell QB Got his shot, but wasn't cut out. 
149 Cole Turner TE Hasn't done anything. 
7 230 Chris Paul G Nothing bad for a 7th rounder, but not much. 
240 Christian Holmes CB With the Giants. Cut August 2024. 

Five of the eight still with the team, but not our first rounder. 2nd rounder likely to be cut. RB is good. Gave QB a shot, and didn't work out.

2023 draft

1 16 Emmanuel Forbes CB ROUGH first year is generous. 
2 47 Quan Martin DB Breakout FS? 
3 97 Ricky Stromberg C 3rd string guard? 
4 118 Braeden Daniels OT Bust stash on IR last year. Cut this year?
5 137 KJ Henry DE Rotational piece?
6 193 Chris Rodriguez Jr. RB Probably cut?
7 233 Andre Jones Jr. DE Rotational piece? Probably cut?

All seven with the team still, but I wouldn't be surprised if four of them are cut. 

You should post this in its own thread, it deserves more attention than being here! 

24 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Get.Out.Of.My.Head!!

I was thinking of posting something like this and well, you already did.

Simply put, this guy was a 1st round pick going into his 3rd year and he was out playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game. 

Not.Good.

He was behind the others on the depth chart and was one of those veterans that people were speculating could be a surprise cut.

I agree that much of that WR room is a big question mark, but I have to think that the additional pick can be used to grab another WR (Aiyuk) or an OT.

But like I said before, this situation is the perfect situation to evaluate AP as a GM. #2 pick and tons of cap space. We'll know in a year or so if he is a good one or not. But right now, I'm not slamming this move. Dotson is gonna be 3rd or 4th (at best) on their depth chart. We won't see him nearly as much as people think. And even when we do, he was allegedly having trouble getting separation (and getting off the line) from our corners in camp. What do people think he's gonna do in games?

In Phila they have AJ Brown who we should double & then Devonta Smith on the other side & Goddert. 

Dotson is going to not be a focal point of any defense which means he could be more productive.

3 hours ago, Troublez said:

I listen to KSheehan RELIGOUSLY. Like every single podcast and show (long commute). His show has commented regularly on the following themes:

(1) Dotson not being able to get off line

(2) Dotson being easiliy re - routed by bigger stronger corners

(3) Discussion on BMITCH commentary damning Dotson's poor body language

(4) Consistent mentions that "Dotson" has to earn in, that its a new regime, including speculation that Dotson didn't embrace competition and was "behind" schematically

And yet……..our #2 rival just gave us the best offer for Dotson.  

Like @MKnight82mentioned, if he’s not a fit schematically, then maybe you create things that focus on his strengths and scheme to the player?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

In Phila they have AJ Brown who we should double & then Devonta Smith on the other side & Goddert. 

Dotson is going to not be a focal point of any defense which means he could be more productive.

Or... not on the field much. Again, we didn't trade away a stud WR. If reports about him in camp are accurate and if my eyes the last two years are accurate, I'm not too scared of Dotson twice a year.

Btw, Mike & the rest of you against trading Dotson, or at least wanting a better explanation as to why we did?

Listen to Kevin Sheehan's August 22nd afternoon/evening Podcast. (Not just his morning radio show)

He gives you a full breakdown on the trade.

He also talk about the Kicker trade.

So there you have it.

4 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Btw, Mike & the rest of you against trading Dotson, or at least wanting a better explanation as to why we did?

Listen to Kevin Sheehan's August 22nd afternoon/evening Podcast. (Not just his morning radio show)

He gives you a full breakdown on the trade.

He also talk about the Kicker trade.

So there you have it.

I’m not necessarily against the trade. I’m against the slander against why he was traded. 

• Like 1