Week 1 @ Philadelphia Eagles in Brazil Leadup and Countdown

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think we also need to remember these players are in a Foreign country where Multi-millionaire athletes vast majority of whom might standout could be targeted for not only robbery but possible abduction. Traveling abroad for any American is always a risk. Just saying.

Wow.  Sounds like traveling to Brazil is almost as dangerous as going to Chicago.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

I’ve spent a lot of time in Brazil, although not often in Sāo Paolo. The athletes will definitely be going to fairly scripted areas and won’t be out solo on the streets. Plenty of amazing places to go and see but obviously if you are in a foreign country and don’t know people or the language you’d better have a plan for getting around and stick to the more well beaten path. High profile athletes will be on a script. Jordy will be there having a Packers fan event, I’d stick to things like that if I were a fan and didn’t know my way around.

Of much more real concern, there are massive wildfires going right now in the Amazon and Pantanal. The AQI in SP and Brasilia is not good right now and that could be a serious problem at game time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’ve spent a lot of time in Brazil, although not often in Sāo Paolo. The athletes will definitely be going to fairly scripted areas and won’t be out solo on the streets. Plenty of amazing places to go and see but obviously if you are in a foreign country and don’t know people or the language you’d better have a plan for getting around and stick to the more well beaten path. High profile athletes will be on a script. Jordy will be there having a Packers fan event, I’d stick to things like that if I were a fan and didn’t know my way around.

Of much more real concern, there are massive wildfires going right now in the Amazon and Pantanal. The AQI in SP and Brasilia is not good right now and that could be a serious problem at game time. 

Honestly, this could actually get the game changed to another location, at the last minute, if it is as bad as it got last year in parts of the NE US during the Canadian wildfires. 

There were days in the Midwest when it was wiser to stay indoors during those fires. 

Edited by Old Guy

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Honestly, this could actually get the game changed to another location, at the last minute, if it is as bad as it got last year in parts of the NE US during the Canadian wildfires. 

There were days in the Midwest when it was wiser to stay indoors during those fires. 

I live on the west coast and they really affect me more than I understood. Two summers ago I landed in Milwaukee on a red eye just as the smoke rolled in from those fires in Canada. I was miserable thinking I would be back for some family time out on the lakes and WI summertime. I stayed indoors for the first few days. It can be bad for everyone but especially playing high intensity sports in those conditions. 

Interestingly enough, the AQI in Rio looks pretty good on the coast. I’m biased against Sāo Paolo but think they should have played the game there in the first place. It will be something to monitor as the week goes on. 

Didn't know about the fires.  I still remember the year Florida got almost no rain, and wildfires were springing up everywhere through the summer and fall.  We had ashes coming down like a light snow on the 4th of July when a fire got with ~10 miles of our house before the wind shifted.

44 minutes ago, R T said:

You're all a bunch a p*ssies.

Real men work outside, downwind from the fires while smoking Marlboro's.   

Real men start forest fires.  We don't have time to cut them down, plus the ash is good fertilizer for crops.  And any animals caught in the fire? Free cooked meal!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Or, just tell the Brazilian government to go pound sand when they send you the bill. The real fun part is going to be when all of the players who tweet (or whatever it's called) daily, gets these fines handed to them. Interested to see how the NFL handles that one. 

Edited by Old Guy

12 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Quick Google search. Consider these circled in bold red ink apparently!! lol

15 Top Safety Tips for Traveling in São Paulo. Know the different neighborhoods – this is one of the most important tips. Avoid places like Capão Redondo, Lapa, Pari, and Campo Limpo. But do your own research before you arrive!

I think we also need to remember these players are in a Foreign country where Multi-millionaire athletes vast majority of whom might standout could be targeted for not only robbery but possible abduction. Traveling abroad for any American is always a risk. Just saying.

You guys act like Brazil is Afghanistan. It's not a third world nation, there's plenty of people with money in Brazil. As long as they don't act like complete morons and have basic self preservation skills they will be fine.

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Or, just tell the Brazilian government to go pound sand when they send you the bill. The real fun part is going to be when all of the players who tweet (or whatever it's called) daily, gets these fines handed to them. Interested to see how the NFL handles that one. 

How about they just respect the laws of another country instead? Hubris like this is the reason bad things happen to Americans abroad. Not everybody shares our values. 

My prediction for this game: 

Packers 63

Eagles 7 (garbage time TD) Sirianni gets fired after the Eagles land back in Philly. 

Jordan Love throws 8 TDs passes to 8 different receivers. Watson, Wicks, Doubs, Reed, Melton, Jacobs, Musgrave and Kraft all catch a TD pass. 

Both are new NFL records.