GDT Week 1: Browns vs Cowboys

candyman93

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Watson was brought here and paid to elevate everything. If stuff around you isn't good, you'll still be good. Just because other guys suck, it doesn't mean that Watson sucking isn't the biggest factor in the team sucking. 

So mocking posts about Watson being blamed is silly because he should have a large amount of the blame for the failures of the offense the last 2+ years. Is he actually the 24th best QB and not 32nd? Doesn't matter, he is a failure either way, at least so far.

So yeah, it is Watson's fault. 

Yes and no.

Should he be elevating guys?  Absolutely.

Can he do that when receivers drop 4 passes?  When our offense can’t line up properly? When we can’t run the ball or block anyone?

No one is saying Watson isn’t at fault, he is, but to watch that game and blame one dude for the outcome is idiotic imo.

• Like 3

At this point i don't believe Watson can elevate anyone even if the team was perfect around him. if the receivers would of caught every pass yesterday he still wouldn't pass the eye test. He needs to come out and play like a QB worth 200 million dollars, that means he needs to be one of the best in the league week in and week out. He had one above average game in the last 13. Good play from him is basically 5 years ago. I would bet everything he is cooked. 

Are we talking about Watson elevating…????? Dude is not even playing at a viable backup level, let alone capable starter. That was my argument against Baker, was that he was average and couldn’t elevate this team. Elevate…? We have somehow derailed here.

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yes and no.

Should he be elevating guys?  Absolutely.

Can he do that when receivers drop 4 passes?  When our offense can’t line up properly? When we can’t run the ball or block anyone?

No one is saying Watson isn’t at fault, he is, but to watch that game and blame one dude for the outcome is idiotic imo.

Sure, if your expectations for Watson were that of an average or worse QB. We gave up elite money and draft picks for him to resolve a lot of the issues that we had/would have. Of course even with Chubb healthy and the OLine healthy he still failed but we got him to cover up blemishes. If he can't do it that is his fault and the fault of those that brought him in here. 

After this post I'll go look at the 5 up 5 down thread and see if anyone mentioned him. 

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Sure, if your expectations for Watson were that of an average or worse QB. We gave up elite money and draft picks for him to resolve a lot of the issues that we had/would have. Of course even with Chubb healthy and the OLine healthy he still failed but we got him to cover up blemishes. If he can't do it that is his fault and the fault of those that brought him in here. 

After this post I'll go look at the 5 up 5 down thread and see if anyone mentioned him. 

While you’re there have a gander and see if any other names are mentioned.

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

While you’re there have a gander and see if any other names are mentioned.

Seems like most of the #1's are Watson. 

No way, I know. A QB of a team getting the blunt of the blame? Crazy! One that we traded many high picks for and gave a record extension to? Turns out his PFF grade is 50 something instead of 40 something? Not his fault then, that's all we could expect from what we put into him. 

Y'all can defend his play after bashing him moments ago, simply to do whatever you are doing. Not sure what that is, just to be different, I guess. 

You know he was bad. You know he deserves a large portion of the blame. Not just this game but for our offense every game he has started here. Getting 1 good game every 6 starts isn't enough. Especially when you throw in 2 or 3 poor games every 6. 

We are stuck with him so I guess you try to be optimistic with what he can do going forward, but you have to be realistic about the past, including yesterday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Seems like most of the #1's are Watson. 

No way, I know. A QB of a team getting the blunt of the blame? Crazy! One that we traded many high picks for and gave a record extension to? Turns out his PFF grade is 50 something instead of 40 something? Not his fault then, that's all we could expect from what we put into him. 

ah so we’re on to the straw man portion of the program, good stuff.

Y'all can defend his play after bashing him moments ago, simply to do whatever you are doing. Not sure what that is, just to be different, I guess. 

defending his play?!  I can’t tell if you’re being intentionally obtuse or simply can’t understand the idea that two things can be true at once or what?

You know he was bad.

yes, and everyone knows I know that because I’ve said as much.  Repeatedly.  Again you’re being purposefully obtuse or ignorant.

You know he deserves a large portion of the blame.

see above.

Not just this game but for our offense every game he has started here. Getting 1 good game every 6 starts isn't enough. Especially when you throw in 2 or 3 poor games every 6. 

when tf did I argue any of this?  Back to the first point.

We are stuck with him so I guess you try to be optimistic with what he can do going forward, but you have to be realistic about the past, including yesterday. 

What part of “other players stunk too” is unrealistic or untrue?  4 drops, one that was a TD and another that was then picked off, 23 pressures, 7 offensive penalties including multiple false starts and illegal formations, etc.  None of those are on Watson.

I suppose I could spell it out clearly and say Watson was *** and must play better if want to win anything of note, but I’ve already done that multiple times and it didn’t seem to register so I’m not hopeful it will this time either.  Maybe it will, maybe it has, but I’m sure that won’t matter either as you’ll just continue to be intentionally doltish for some reason.

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

defending his play?!  I can’t tell if you’re being intentionally obtuse or simply can’t understand the idea that two things can be true at once or what?

So he was bad but he isn't to blame? The star QB of a football team? You know that makes no sense.

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What part of “other players stunk too” is unrealistic or untrue?  4 drops, one that was a TD and another that was then picked off, 23 pressures, 7 offensive penalties including multiple false starts and illegal formations, etc.  None of those are on Watson.

Nothing. Isn't the QB responsible to keep his team sure what the snap count is and to slide protection and make sure guys are lined up correctly?

Sure, give him 4 more completions, another TD and one less pick and then would you say he had a good game? Should bump that 3.8 yards per attempt up to 4.something. Make his 50 something rating 70 something. Hopefully everyone catches everything the rest of the year so we can have a 70 rated QB?

I dunno. It's HC then QB. After that is a big pause until the next guys get the blame, assuming the HC is the playcaller.

So he was bad but he isn't to blame? The star QB of a football team? You know that makes no sense.

Sigh, back to straw man nonsense. You’re either discussing this in bad faith or illiterate.

Nothing. Isn't the QB responsible to keep his team sure what the snap count is and to slide protection and make sure guys are lined up correctly?

Dawand Jones jumping offsides, receivers not getting set and James Hudson blocking downfield are on the QB now?  Jesus Christ lol what are we doing??

Sure, give him 4 more completions, another TD and one less pick and then would you say he had a good game?

I’d say the receivers didn’t have a bad game.  See how I can view them and evaluate their play independently of the QB?  It’s a neat little trick I picked up a while back.

Should bump that 3.8 yards per attempt up to 4.something. Make his 50 something rating 70 something. Hopefully everyone catches everything the rest of the year so we can have a 70 rated QB?

I remember you having a distinctly different stance on these things when Baker was under center.  😂 

Play selection, pass blocking, routes the receivers ran or didn’t run, scheme for to the QB, man you pointed out all the nuances that factor into a successful offense.  

Now here we are.

I dunno. It's HC then QB. After that is a big pause until the next guys get the blame, assuming the HC is the playcaller.

Ok.  I disagree and think they all sucked yesterday and contributed to the loss.  You don’t have to agree though, it’s ok.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I remember you having a distinctly different stance on these things when Baker was under center.  😂

You're not wrong, but that's a lot of my point. As a #1 overall pick he was held to that standard by many, Watson should at least be held to the same standard.

If Watson doesn't have more blame than any other player then... I dunno. He is probably overpaid.