The Week 1 Gameday Thread: Commanders @ Bucs - 4:30 PM on Fox, Sunday (GIF Theme Hook)

MikeT14

GIF theme  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's the gif theme this week?

• Black Sails
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • One Piece
    • Pirates of Dark Water
    • Hook
    • Captain Phillips

38 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

BTW - maybe it's just how my mind works but I tend to notice these things year after year no matter who is coaching our team.

Go back and watch the game. 

Notice pretty much every time we run a screen, it either gets blown up for no gain or we get a very minimal 2-3yard gain.

But on defense, when the opposing team runs a screen it goes for 10,20+ yards.

We never seem to be able to do what we're supposed to do on either side of the ball when it comes to screens.

Because we keep hiring bad coaches and expecting them not to be bad. 

8 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Apparently we were expecting to compete for the playoffs, division crown, or the SB with our roster as assembled.

It's not like we were 4-12 last year, with a historically bad defense and the worst run organization as voted on by the players. 

One game and it's time to pull the plug on the whole operation. 

I wasn't expecting to do any of that but I was expecting Dan Quinn to understand the moments of a game better then a fan on a football forum. I also wasn't expecting the team to look worse than last years squad. This was a total debacle. 

16 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Apparently we were expecting to compete for the playoffs

IMO if we had taken last year's roster, given them a competent coaching staff, a new starting QB with the #2 pick, additional sprinkle of rookies, and a few high priced FAs additions we would have been in the playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Because we keep hiring bad coaches and expecting them not to be bad. 

I don't understand why people don't get this. We went through the whole coach hiring cycle, no one wanted Dan Quinn. He was never "our choice" either. We hired the guy no one else wanted after our top 2 choices told us no. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

IMO if we had taken last year's roster, given them a competent coaching staff, a new starting QB with the #2 pick, additional sprinkle of rookies, and a few high priced FAs additions we would have been in the playoffs. 

I'll take "things Dan Snyder would do" for $1000, Alex.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't understand why people don't get this. We went through the whole coach hiring cycle, no one wanted Dan Quinn. He was never "our choice" either. We hired the guy no one else wanted after our top 2 choices told us no. 

They panicked when Ben Johnson turned them down. Dan Quinn is a nice man and he is one hell of a DC but he cannot be your headcoach. You simply do not go out and hire the guy who blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Part of being in a ‘culture’ or ‘rebuilding’ year is that you have to evaluate who you have, in your system.  What if Forbes and St Juste went somewhere and became good starters, or better, and we ended up with Fuller and Gilmore on the downswing for 1-2 years?  

This way, we are able to walk into next off-season knowing that we have to bring in two starting corners because we’re going to walk away from those two.  

I don’t have an issue with this method.  I know some people do.  But I would rather know what we have is not good based on the coaches and front office making a concerted effort to get something out of them, and then move on. 

The only issue I have with this method — and it really is the only one — is that I have a hard time getting on board with them not putting more talent around Jayden.

Unlike baseball, which is a rebuild experience we both share, football doesn’t happen in a vacuum. A great young pitcher’s development isn’t stunted because the other pitchers suck, for example.

But it’s not like that in football, especially with the quarterback. That development is just so fragile — if you can’t protect him, or if nobody is coming open, so many bad habits develop. I’m glad they took some steps to shore up the interior OL, but I would really have loved to see even a short-term investment in OT or especially WR, just to make sure they’re not hanging Jayden out to dry. Just don’t like taking chances with his development.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

The only issue I have with this method — and it really is the only one — is that I have a hard time getting on board with them not putting more talent around Jayden.

Unlike baseball, which is a rebuild experience we both share, football doesn’t happen in a vacuum. A great young pitcher’s development isn’t stunted because the other pitchers suck, for example.

But it’s not like that in football, especially with the quarterback. That development is just so fragile — if you can’t protect him, or if nobody is coming open, so many bad habits develop. I’m glad they took some steps to shore up the interior OL, but I would really have loved to see even a short-term investment in OT or especially WR, just to make sure they’re not hanging Jayden out to dry. Just don’t like taking chances with his development.

Yes, the others pitchers development doesn’t contribute, but there are two things that can contribute.  The first, the defense around the pitcher.  Second, and I think equally important, is the ability to learn from someone.  And that someone usually isn’t a top tier ace guy.  I think the biggest think the Orioles did last season that ended up jump-starting things was the experience that Kyle Gibson brought in.  For Grayson and Bradish and others to see how a professional SP prepared himself on a day to day, week to week basis……that’s crucial, and that Gibson was willing to share and sign up for that.  It’s why I still think the Mariota signing was smart, even if he stays on IR the entire year.  The mentoring and how to handle expectations for Daniels is something that is hard to quantify.  

There are weapons here.  Just not the number I think we want, and what I can agree with a lot of people here is that the OT position is clearly unsettled and probably should have been addressed better than it was.  Though drafting Sinnott and McCaffrey to grow with Daniels, and get snaps from the start with him, is something they probably wanted to see as well.  

The good:

1) The running backs overall - Robinson and Ekeler had good games, and I liked especially what Ekeler brought to the table. 

2) Daniels legs - As advertised. He wasn't even going 100% and was the fastest person out there. And hey, as ugly as it was, I appreciated his mindset to get down. 

3) the run defense for the majority - they gave up a couple big plays yes, but I thought on the whole they did a pretty good job against the run. I get it - there were some snafus - but it was something positive about them. 

4) Tress Way - doing his thing.

The bad:

1) The early offense and rhythm - just out of sync to come out. Everything was flat. Kliff needs to script some better ideas coming out.

2) Both running backs being our leading receiver - our leading wide receiver had 18 yards. Pretty inexcusable. Need to get Terry involved a lot earlier. 

The ugly: 

1) Tackling - wow, was that awful. Baker playing like Vick, guys getting 5 to 10 extra yards. 

2) The secondary - it was a mirror image of last year. Just awful. Baker was Dan Marino. 

3) Cade York - those two missed FGs were huge at that point in the game. 

The WTF:

1) Jayden's helmet. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Check this out!

How do they come up with this stuff? Maybe I'm just too stupid to understand efficiency but Anthony Richardson completed 47% of his passes and threw an interception. How in anyway is that top 10 in efficiency?

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How do they come up with this stuff? Maybe I'm just too stupid to understand efficiency but Anthony Richardson completed 47% of his passes and threw an interception. How in anyway is that top 10 in efficiency?

He had some deep balls that carried that score. Pierce and I forgot the other one. 

I have confidence in Peters and the coaching staff. Just look at the mess they encounter when they came here. It's just one game and people are already to abandon ship. Yes I was not happy with the results but this is a complete overhaul. Players are learning a new system and responsibilities.  It will take time to get the players Peters want for his coach.  For example Wagner looked slow at times and I am sure  he and so others are just a temporary fix so this is rebuild. Some here are talking about Quinn wasn't the best hire well thats still debatable but lets pump the brakes that. I feel your frustration but  many are forgetting we did get one of the best talent evaluator in football (Peters) and I am sure in due time he will add the right players we need and fix this whole mess he walked into. Bottom line we need to be patient and I believe we will gradually get better as the season goes on. 

• Like 3