NFL should allow rental loan deals like soccer

paul-mac

Packers now have Jordan Love out for a few weeks while talented first round picks Drake Maye and Michael Penix Jr ride the bench.

I really think the NFL should allow deals where GB flip a late round pick over to the Patriots or Falcons to borrow the young player for a few weeks. He gets experience. Win-win-win situation. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Packers now have Jordan Love out for a few weeks while talented first round picks Drake Maye and Michael Penix Jr ride the bench.

I really think the NFL should allow deals where GB flip a late round pick over to the Patriots or Falcons to borrow the young player for a few weeks. He gets experience. Win-win-win situation. 

Win-win-win-768x447.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Bit different to soccer. That sport is a lot more plug and play. There’s variations of tactics and strategy, but you ain’t learning a whole playbook to play at Ipswich Town. 

Maye would have unlearn everything he’s learning in our system to pick up what the Pack do in a very short space of time. 

I see what you’re saying, but this is why it’s prudent to have a half decent backup QB

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Also with loan deals in soccer, the parent club tends to still pay the salary right? How would that work in a hard cap environment?  Bit more of a minefield in the NFL I reckon 

It varies.

• In soccer if the parent club continues to pay the salary then often there is an upfront payment by the loaning team to offset this.
  • If the loaning team pays the wages then often there is little to no upfront payment, and teams negotiate whether paying 25% - 100% of the wages.
  • Soccer also has obligation to purchase options in loan contracts, I guess that would be obligation to trade a pick if this was in the NFL?

It varies. It would be a cool twerk, especially when your stocked with lots of starting caliber players who can't play in a single position, but would need a lot of rules. Don't know how you would legislate for teams that may want a player back if they had an injury crisis or whether to ourright ban that, and also whether loaned players could play against their parent club.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Why would the Patriots or Falcons allow their young 1st round QB to potentially get hurt on another team for a late-round pick?  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Why would the Patriots or Falcons allow their young 1st round QB to potentially get hurt on another team for a late-round pick?  

He could "potentially get hurt" any day in training. The risk of injury is far outweighed by the benefit of experience.

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Also with loan deals in soccer, the parent club tends to still pay the salary right? How would that work in a hard cap environment?  Bit more of a minefield in the NFL I reckon 

That is negotiated. Usually the club who get the loaned player pays something, a percentage.

Edited by 4thandInches