Week Two 9/15/24 game thread: vs Houston

beardown3231

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Going patchwork and cheap on interior IOL can work, but you have to make good evaluations. 

That said, it's still early. At the moment though, it seems silly to have been considering the Bears as a playoff team. 

Didn't really go cheap except for Shelton. Davis was a 1st wave 8-figure FA and Jenkins a 2RP...  Wright is even  struggling. Evaluation and Coaching/scheme are to blame. I do fault Poles for being so locKed in on Rome at pick #9, sure Latham(my guy) was off the board at 7, but soooo much OL talent available. Also have to fault Poles and Warren too for hanging onto Flus ('year three is when it all comes together') IT BETTER *******COME TOGETHER FOR flus

The good news is that HOU and KC are the best teams in the NFL. No one else on our schedule is even close. SF has taken a step back, hardly any other juggernauts there. We went toe to toe with Houston esp in 2nd half. Stroud started his career 0-2 (he still had almost 600 yds passing in 1st those 2 losses tho)

We will start stacking some Ws vs far lesser opponents and will likely make the POs. 

HOU IS A BUZZSAW, zero weakness ...even their dam kicker is fantastic 

Now, if we look badly and lose games vs Indy or decimated Rams or CAR, JAX WAS AZ or NE then sound the alarms and get the chopping block ready for Flus, Caleb's development is tooo important to leave in his hands 

Edited by SLCbear

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

Didn't really go cheap except for Shelton. Davis was a 1st wave 8-figure FA and Jenkins a 2RP...  Wright is even  struggling. Evaluation and Coaching/scheme are to blame.

Respectfully, the only significant investment he put into the line is Wright. Davis was always middle of the road at best and when you look at what guards are being paid now it really wasn't like he broke the bank for him. Jenkins was not his guy at all and at one point it looked like he was going to try and get rid of him. There needs to be a real investment in the oline and not this bargain bin hunting that we are doing currently. 

• Like 2

Just now, dll2000 said:

This was scene that had me LOLing in the chat in real time.  Watch when he goes after Darnell Wright.  You can almost hear his brain reconsidering the wisdom of that aloud.  He was out of there right after. 

And you cannot create a foul?  LOL.  How does that make sense?

What if he whipped out his penis and started urinating in the gatorade jug and ref didn't see it right away?

All kinds of scenarios I can imagine where a foul could be created seen on tape and flagged. 

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

Davis was always middle of the road at best and when you look at what guards are being paid now it really wasn't like he broke the bank for him.

You may not have liked the signing, but he was the 2nd highest FA iOL on the market that year. Unfortunately thats what can happen when you have to pick from signing free agents instead of being able to pay your own guys. 

He is currently #19/20 in AAV, and atleast 7 of those in front of him were signed this year, and I think 2/3 more were signed right when or after him in 2023. Regardless, he was a Top 15 paid Guard when we signed him. Thats not middle of the road as far as investment goes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigbear72 said:

Respectfully, the only significant investment he put into the line is Wright. Davis was always middle of the road at best and when you look at what guards are being paid now it really wasn't like he broke the bank for him. Jenkins was not his guy at all and at one point it looked like he was going to try and get rid of him. There needs to be a real investment in the oline and not this bargain bin hunting that we are doing currently. 

I think maybe you missed my point. I definitely do not think that bargain hunting is the way to go, and have advocated for significant investments to be made on the OL as much as anyone for a long time! I even thought Rome was a bit of a luxury pick with all of that FR OL talent and possibly trading down from 9 and still drafting OL while picking up another asset or 2.

My point is that evaluations of cheaper talent and/or coaching/scheme/game prep etc seem to be the problem more than any lack of investment. 

When we signed Davis, his contract was at the top of the market. And TJ, whether or not Poles drafted him, was a 2nd round pick and has dominated when healthy. He is plug and play. I loved the Wright pick, hated passing on C JMS for Dexter

We have 4 top 100 picks in '25 Draft and Poles has to draft trenches for all 4 of those picks ....or maybe use one or 2 of them now to trade for proven diff makers. I don't want to waste one second of CWs Rookie window!!!

I would rather trade for proven trench talent now.

...but either way that leads me back to my point, which is that we have brought in some decent talent but the talent after getting here aLways seems to play worse or falls off somehow. Wright has even started to look lost. WTF???!!!

So many other teams maxx out the capacity (collectively and individually) of their OLmen, while we are never able to do this. Aside from a few Rod Marinelli years, our OL has always been middling to awful 😢 

I am seriously worried that even if we do invest heavily in OL, coaching/scheme/game-prep etc will somehow F it up!! ...our OL is like the Packers Defense, no matter how much talent GB has on that side of the ball, they still figure out a way to suck.

• Like 1