Week 2 GDT: Raiders (0-1) @ Ravens (0-1)

RaidersAreOne

Who takes home the W?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes home the W?

• Raaaaaaaaaiiiiiiddddddeeeeerrrrrsssssss
    • Obviously the Ravens. Why even make a poll?
    • I just hope everyone has fun

On 9/11/2024 at 6:10 AM, big_palooka said:

Outside 2 big runs, they were solid. Giving them a pass for now given the offense kept them on the field to often. 

While that's true, they didn't look good in preseason either. Chargers were horrendous last year running the ball, so it's hard to gauge what's what this year.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 7:13 PM, Jeremy408 said:

Watch the Raiders somehow win this week, and then lose to the Panthers lol

I couldn't be okay with this.  If we somehow beat the Ravens, then we should go to the playoffs.  Losing to the Panthers the following week would just prove that we have no idea how to win consistently and that we will be losing games because of poor coaching and preparation.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

I couldn't be okay with this.  If we somehow beat the Ravens, then we should go to the playoffs.  Losing to the Panthers the following week would just prove that we have no idea how to win consistently and that we will be losing games because of poor coaching and preparation.

been that way for years. 

What stood out to me about the D Front last week was the run-fits. They were uniformly, I think, very good for a week one game. We consistently had a well-spaced 7 or 8 man picket fence greeting the ball at/near the LOS. It's HARD to do, and rarer still in week one.

This, in no small part, requires responding aggressively to reading "Run", and in order to do that, you have to empty out the second & third levels, sans guys engaged in coverage. If that coverage is man, and those patterns run guys out of position, it can clear your 'safety' help out.

On the last big gainer, the right DE was out of position, pushing up field and getting slightly kicked at the point of attack off tackle, Snowden I believe (I;'m not watching film, so this is just memory and could be wrong). It wasn't bad, but it was enough to spring the RB, ... and the DBs were filling or possibly run out of the area by being in man coverage, I believe.

The thing is, when you are really selling out for the fit, and we certainly appear to be doing so, you have to have everyone doing it exactly right and in the right moment, else, it's like being flattened out in a goal line, with ONE guy leaving the gate open, and the RB just needs to clear the picket fence, and he's off.

I expect we tighten that down as the year goes on, but I'll be pretty impressed if it's not a thing now and again. It's also going to be VERY interesting to see if we are as aggressive against a QB the size of a small pickup truck, who can run that damned well. It will take a large sack to play with the same aggressive fits. Imagine fitting Lamar up solo with no one behind you!

I kind of morbidly want to see if we CAN. But the wiser choice would seem to be to bring everyone TO Lamar from more of a zone look.

That said, it reminds me that both times the front went 'pop' last week, Nate f'ing Hobbs got off his coverage responsibility elsewhere, and ran the ball down from behind. That last one, he got off a block, turned 180 degrees....and I swear, teleported 5 yards to close on the guy, making the play.

It was,....impressive.

I thought I juuuust caught a glimpse of him tucking a red cape back into his silver pants.

Edited by LongJonSilver
  • Like 2

Lamar gives Defenses fits with his ability to break ankles trying to tackle him. If our players are afraid of that, then they've already lost. Aim for his waist and EXPLODE.  He'll move or juke to make you hesitate that hit. Don't hesitate and if he gets some solid body shots early, he won't be on his toes by the end of the fight. If you miss that hit, so what it's Lamar Jackson, he makes a lot of men look foolish. Get off the turf and do it again and again and again.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Deablo actually played so bad

He was awful in week 1. Probably knows there’s young linebackers behind him ready to take his spot.

Looking forward to Eichenberg though. Apparently he was very good in the offseason 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

He was awful in week 1. Probably knows there’s young linebackers behind him ready to take his spot.

Looking forward to Eichenberg though. Apparently he was very good in the offseason 

Eichenberg played in the preseason?

23 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Is JPJ rumored to be good and starting??

Listed Questionable. Game-time decision.

FWIW, he did not look to be a guy who thinks he'll be playing his first pro game tomorrow, in an interview given yesterday : 

Edited by LongJonSilver
  • Like 1