2024 GDT Week #2 1-0 Steelers Visit the 0-1 Broncos

Who will be the starting QB this week?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starting QB this week?

• Russell Wilson. If he's healthy, he's the man.
    • Justin Fields. Russ won't be ready and Justin will be the man.
    • Justin Fields. The offense is better in his hands.

With regard to Broderick Jones:

1. He is in year two, not four.

2. He has been moved from RT and LT.

3. He is in a new offense with new lineman.

4. Perhaps Dan Moorer has improved/started to develop in his fourth season.

5. Jones is playing through injuries.  

Not making excuses,  but we have seen this before with players who take time to develop or have slow starts. For whatever reason James Daniels has been a slow starter each season with the Steelers as well.  Too early to give up on Jones. There's a lot of football left.

As far as Jefferson,  Austin,  and Miller. They can combine for some receptions. Jefferson has more of an impact on his lone reception if his fellow WRs block for him better. I will take CA3 vs. Wallace 1 on 1. Wallace is a savy vet, but we have seen him repeatedly get burned deep.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Not making excuses,  but we have seen this before with players who take time to develop or have slow starts. For whatever reason James Daniels has been a slow starter each season with the Steelers as well.  Too early to give up on Jones. There's a lot of football left.

As far as Jefferson,  Austin,  and Miller. They can combine for some receptions. Jefferson has more of an impact on his lone reception if his fellow WRs block for him better. I will take CA3 vs. Wallace 1 on 1. Wallace is a savy vet, but we have seen him repeatedly get burned deep.  

He was a top 15 pick and they trade up for him.

Unless he’s injured….then he should Be starting…Im fine with hiccups in year 2.

All the OL are in a new offense.

If it took to year 4 for Moore to develop, that screams coaching inadequacy.

Im not nearly giving up on Jones…however starting Moore over him at the cost of Jones is moronic.

1 hour ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Too early to give up on Jones

No one is giving up in Jones, but I think EVERYONE should be questions the developmental plan they chose.

They have been more interested in making him a decent player at two spots than a great player at one. He was a developmental project, they treat him as a known commodity who doesn’t require refinement and consistency. 

What they chose to do with Jones is dumb. But the dumbest part is that they chose to do it because of Dan Moore - by either being unwilling to make him move or by being unwilling to be honest about his future. 

• Like 3

The Steelers should start the best left tackle at left tackle and the best right tackle on the right. They shouldn’t necessarily start the best two tackles. They simply need the best line configuration to be out there, to grow together. My thought is that it is like when you go to a barbecue joint, sides really matter.

4 hours ago, rlon said:

The Steelers should start the best left tackle at left tackle and the best right tackle on the right. They shouldn’t necessarily start the best two tackles. They simply need the best line configuration to be out there, to grow together. My thought is that it is like when you go to a barbecue joint, sides really matter.

injuries are forcing the hand anyways. Lets hope Fautanu isn't risking more damage to his knee in this weeks game

I thought Moore played a good game in atlanta, too bad he got injured but thats the nfl. I pull for moore but with 2 RD1 OT picks, I doubt Moore will be playing much if the other 2 are healthy.  Maybe Fautanu can play LG once moore returns. Seumalo will be out for a while so why not let Fautanu get some reps at LG?

I know this goes against even my own complaints about playing people out of position too often,
but I still can't deny that Moore at LT, Fautanu at RG and BJones at RT sounds like it could be scary.

Maybe it's silly to suggest without an off season of practicing that way, and yes, it's likely too disruptive
at this stage - but man, that plus Frazier (and a LG) on paper, sounds immense and powerful combo for the future.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

One of the Steelers Depot guys put forth a reasonable theory:

- Jones said it takes him ~2 weeks to adjust to a new side. 
- Fautanu was trending to be the starting RT. 
- There two weeks between the PS3 game and start of the season. 

Theres a chance we could see Jones inactive the next two weeks with Dylan Cook elevated. Jones works on converting back to LT while Fautanu gets the chance to start. And maybe the plan all along was to use PS games to figure out Fautanu was ready and the time between to get Jones going on the LT side. With Fautanu’s injury everything got delayed, but Jones’s injury gives them the in season “cover” to do it. 

8 hours ago, mwalker said:

I know this goes against even my own complaints about playing people out of position too often,
but I still can't deny that Moore at LT, Fautanu at RG and BJones at RT sounds like it could be scary.

Maybe it's silly to suggest without an off season of practicing that way, and yes, it's likely too disruptive
at this stage - but man, that plus Frazier (and a LG) on paper, sounds immense and powerful combo for the future.

the OL has a chance to be good again. It's been several years with sub par OL, so now it's time for some decent OL .  MIght seem great to us, but most likely just good

13 hours ago, 3rivers said:

the OL has a chance to be good again. It's been several years with sub par OL, so now it's time for some decent OL .  MIght seem great to us, but most likely just good

When you look at the tape from last game, in terms of OL play, we looked weakest at LG and RT. It would be interesting to see if putting a second rookie in the starting mix will lead to improvement. At least the left guard situation is definitely temporary, the season long answer simply being a return from injury. Is Broderick Jones not who they thought he was, though, or is it just a matter of sitting him and letting him heal?

8 hours ago, rlon said:

When you look at the tape from last game, in terms of OL play, we looked weakest at LG and RT. It would be interesting to see if putting a second rookie in the starting mix will lead to improvement. At least the left guard situation is definitely temporary, the season long answer simply being a return from injury. Is Broderick Jones not who they thought he was, though, or is it just a matter of sitting him and letting him heal?

why not let him heal? I don't know the injury, (does anyone?) but if other players would be better then they should play instead.  You have a point, maybe jone will be on the sidelines when the best OL is out there for this team. It wasn't planned like that, but if Moore is playing good and then Fautanu is better than jone, then tomlin has to make a decision. Will it take a few bad games to enourage the change, as in say 2 or 3 sacks allowed and no good rushing yardage  that side as a result of the RT play?

Edited by 3rivers