Week 2: San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings

J-ALL-DAY

I'll be interested to see how the offensive line does this week. They annihilated a Jets D Line that was Quinnen Williams and a lot of roster turnover in week one. If our O line continues to dominate, it's going to be a very, very good offensive season. Because they'll have much better games from Kittle and Deebo and Aiyuk coming. Schematically, it's a completely different challenge. The Jets are essentially a team that was trying to be 9ers east with the 4 man rushes and cover 3 variant zones (Saleh, of course, having come from here). But that left them as the 9ers defense, but worse. And the 9ers O spent all offseason playing those guys.

The VIkings do very different things. Brian Flores likes to put eight dudes around the line of scrimmage to threaten a zero blitz at all times while often dropping 8 and playing coverage. They want to mess with the timing in the quarterback's head.

Brock was truly awesome for the first 3 and change quarters of the game last year (Brock and Kyle often basically invalidate such teams that operate with strict zone coverage rules and the VIkings mostly drop into various zones after showing heavy pressure). In that game, the Vikings offense was killing the defense, Trent Williams was out so we couldn't run for beans. Deebo was out. Aiyuk was drawing extra attention. So it was Brock and Kittle and Jennings (and a well timed screen to CMC for a TD) that kept the 9ers in the game in spite of the D getting killed. And we know what happened. Brock suffered a concussion on a QB sneak on the second to last drive. Don't think he reported symptoms. But anyhow, the next play after the concussion was a very poorly thrown interception. And when the defense gave the offense one final shot, Brock threw a second pick on a play that I at least sympathized with - trying to do too much as we needed a TD (Moody having missed a chip shot earlier to make the deficit larger). So we lost back to back games. Rough.

Gonna need the offensive line to communicate and handle it when they bring all out pressure. Brock and Kyle to know and exploit the zone rules. Offensive line to provide the running lanes both left and right that just weren't there last year. (Trent and Puni are major upgrades on either side, obviously).

And on defense, we've got to pressure Darnold. It's that simple. And that requires a diet of more blitz packages than we saw on Sunday. And the coverage holding up with fewer bodies.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

Is ON3 getting into the pro game more? That was who poached my favorite college reporters from the athletic

Oh yeah, you messaged me on slack about that and I forgot to respond lol. I was running when I saw your message and then forgot to get back to you. 

My bad

Sucks to see Kawakami & Lombardi gone from The Athletic. Although I guess it makes sense for a company to not have 3 journalists primarily following one team. Figured it wouldn't last forever.

Still, I enjoyed their coverage

Edited by 49ersfan

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh yeah, you messaged me on slack about that and I forgot to respond lol. I was running when I saw your message and then forgot to get back to you. 

My bad

No worries, I found out about Ari and Andy being back together like the next day, I was ecstatic. I love the chemistry that those two have together, most other shows you can tell are just a little formulaic and a little stale. First five minutes introduce the show, talk about food or tv or movies for a couple of minutes to be relatable and then get into the topics at hand. Ari and Andy definitely do those things too but its just way more natural.

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Collins is getting the love for this play, but it was blown up from the start by Hargrave. He is the one who made this play. That get off was pretty insane. Need more of that this week. 

These two will be huge this week. We are going to get a whole bunch of nothing from Bosa and Floyd, so we are going to need Hargrave / Collins to create most of our pressure. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

These two will be huge this week. We are going to get a whole bunch of nothing from Bosa and Floyd, so we are going to need Hargrave / Collins to create most of our pressure. 

Darrisaw and O'neil are really good but Bosa will get his fair share of pressures and hits like he does every week. But yes, the interior pass rush has to win and will be the key on Sunday.