Week 2: San Francisco 49ers at Minnesota Vikings

J-ALL-DAY

20 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

Same old Niners dude as all see is a team that can't pass block, can't rush the passer, can't cover in the back end and thus can't close the deal. What happens when they play more difficult teams? I'll tell ya what happens something like 10-7 happens and that's being generous. Today is a perfect example why many folks in the media had picks the Rams over the Niners in the NFC West.

Nah, we're still one of the top teams in the league.

We just always seem to have these games where we just come out flat and don't play to the standard.

Flores is a good DC but he didn't give us looks we haven't seen before.

We knew what he wanted to do, same with O'Connell.

Brock looking awful, making awful decisions is just nkt something I'm used to.

Locking onto his first read, holding on to the ball way too long, not seeing the open space. 

Coverage miscues, lack of gap integrity and losing outside contain on defense repeatedly.

Little execution errors that keep happening and snowballing into one big cluster****.

We just did not execute or play with any sense of urgency.

You may be able to come out a little flat at home but definitely not on the road, with 1pm EST time slot.

The team as a whole looked like they were still alseep on the plane. 

18 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

well that was ... predictable. 49ers always look exactly like they did today every time they play there.

that game pretty much encapsulated every game ever in Minnesota.

absolute nonsense. 

Short week, early kickoff, traveling cross country. If you're going to come out flat, that type of game is as easy for it to happen in as any. 

But this team has not really found its rhythm yet. Particularly in the passing game. Its much more difficult than it should be right now. 

The team has historically been a better second half of the season than first half of the season team, so we'll see where they go from here. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Nah, we're still one of the top teams in the league.

We just always seem to have these games where we just come out flat and don't play to the standard.

Flores is a good DC but he didn't give us looks we haven't seen before.

We knew what he wanted to do, same with O'Connell.

Brock looking awful, making awful decisions is just nkt something I'm used to.

Locking onto his first read, holding on to the ball way too long, not seeing the open space. 

Coverage miscues, lack of gap integrity and losing outside contain on defense repeatedly.

Little execution errors that keep happening and snowballing into one big cluster****.

We just did not execute or play with any sense of urgency.

You may be able to come out a little flat at home but definitely not on the road, with 1pm EST time slot.

The team as a whole looked like they were still alseep on the plane. 

Yes this is a playoff team but ain't winning a SB with this roster. The offense can't score TD's and no one said any thing about it after the Jets game but now look what happened 2 weeks in a row? With this offensive line Brock Purdy will continue to look like **** and I think it's fair to say that the honey moon is over for Brock as he'll only take you so far meaning he can't carry you the same way Mahomes can carry the Chiefs. On the flip side of the ball the defense is a bend but don't break unit at best and guess what they broke at the end of the first half and they broke on the Vikings last possession in the 4th quarter that allowed them to ice the game. Notice how the defense can never get a sack on a 3rd or 4th down to get off the field? First & Second down sacks are nice when you don't let them convert on the next down. Any QB with decent mobility will just destroy this defense as they can't sack a QB mobility if their lives depend on it e.g. Mahomes in the SB!

We beat ourselves/let ourselves be beat.  97 yard pass TD, Punt block and interception.  It happens, get it out of the way and learn from it.  

I was encouraged by J. Mason in pass protection, it seems that he has stepped it up pretty hard. 

Bosa seems to be blocked easily, at least one time they ran right at him with only the TE blocking him and Bosa was beat hard.  His sacks seemed to come from the second/third part of the play, just cleaning up sacks after the play broke down and he got to the QB.  I did not really see where he would ever beat his man and truly be the interrupting force in the play.  He held out to be the highest paid DE, make some plays like one.  Getting washed out of the run game and just playing cleanup for pass, not impressed by him.

This is very much a game that the Niners decided to not win, there is enough veterans on this team that this type of wakeup is not needed but now let it be out of the system and play to win from here on out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, burlow said:

We beat ourselves/let ourselves be beat.  97 yard pass TD, Punt block and interception.  It happens, get it out of the way and learn from it.  

I was encouraged by J. Mason in pass protection, it seems that he has stepped it up pretty hard. 

Bosa seems to be blocked easily, at least one time they ran right at him with only the TE blocking him and Bosa was beat hard.  His sacks seemed to come from the second/third part of the play, just cleaning up sacks after the play broke down and he got to the QB.  I did not really see where he would ever beat his man and truly be the interrupting force in the play.  He held out to be the highest paid DE, make some plays like one.  Getting washed out of the run game and just playing cleanup for pass, not impressed by him.

This is very much a game that the Niners decided to not win, there is enough veterans on this team that this type of wakeup is not needed but now let it be out of the system and play to win from here on out.

I agree. I refuse to overreact to this game.  When they started getting penalties in the first quarter, it was an obvious sign that they weren't mentally locked in. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Brendel is awful at protections

Absolutely a big reason for this team's inability to handle those defenses. But Kyle in general has had some struggles even before Brendel got here. Brendel sucks at everything but Kyle loves him for whatever reason lol. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Absolutely a big reason for this team's inability to handle those defenses. But Kyle in general has had some struggles even before Brendel got here. Brendel sucks at everything but Kyle loves him for whatever reason lol. 

I've not heard any quarterback that does film studies that likes the way we handle hots and protections. We feel very Jimmy Gy without Aiyuk as himself. Be interested to see the passing map.

We aren't going to win any games giving up 8 yards a play on defense - it took heroic Warner work for us not to have 40 plus hung on us.

Ditto for giving up blocked punts.

Offense was frustrating, but I have lower standards given how janked up their off-season has been. Still can't take that many sacks. That's on Brock. I figured we'd throw a pick trying to catch up in the second half - drop back passing in bad game scripts ain't our jam. On non sacks and picks we played fine offense. But that don't count for beans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I've not heard any quarterback that does film studies that likes the way we handle hots and protections. We feel very Jimmy Gy without Aiyuk as himself. Be interested to see the passing map.

We aren't going to win any games giving up 8 yards a play on defense - it took heroic Warner work for us not to have 40 plus hung on us.

Ditto for giving up blocked punts.

Offense was frustrating, but I have lower standards given how janked up their off-season has been. Still can't take that many sacks. That's on Brock. I figured we'd throw a pick trying to catch up in the second half - drop back passing in bad game scripts ain't our jam. On non sacks and picks we played fine offense. But that don't count for beans.

Aiyuk will get better and did look better compared to week 1, but again, opposing defenses are taking our shots play out of the offense. It is making everything a grind and that's frustrating the crap out of Purdy. Does not help we don't have CMC who Purdy would feel better with on the check downs but that is no excuse in taking six sacks. 

This was hard for Mahomes as well but eventually he just started taking what the defense was giving him. Allen himself has been disciplined to start the season and is not forcing the issue. Purdy will need to do the same. 

The Rams have a crazy amount of injuries but I feel like I was right about them. They got overrated off their finish but they have a lot of question marks and the defense is going to be very bad in a lot of weeks. 

The Cardinals are going to be competing hard all season though. Won't be an easy out. 

2 hours ago, NFL Network said:

Same old Niners dude as all see is a team that can't pass block, can't rush the passer, can't cover in the back end and thus can't close the deal. What happens when they play more difficult teams? I'll tell ya what happens something like 10-7 happens and that's being generous. Today is a perfect example why many folks in the media had picks the Rams over the Niners in the NFC West.

Rams just got smoked 41-10 to the Cards homie. 

I would love to see Mooney follow the #1 receiver even if they motion them to the slot. You pay DBs top dollar and if the offense is smart, they will put them in motion or on the opposite side esp if they know they won’t follow. It happened on the 97 yard TD. Really want to know why it’s so difficult for something like this to game plan 

The game plan on Jettas was fine. The one deep bomb he got behind our safeties which was bad but for the most part, he was not even getting targeted much. 

Hufanga should be back next week which will be big but we really need to do something with Campbell. His reactions are just so slow and he allows plays to happen that should not. 

Offensively we will be fine. Purdy will end up adjusting and we will score 30+ often this season. But can we ever hold up against good, blitz heavy defenses? Will Greenlaw be close to top form when he returns? How about Hufanga? What is our counters to Bosa getting chipped and double teamed on every single rush? How does the 3rd down defense become better? When does Green replace Yiadrom? 

Those are the questions I have and a lot of these were there even before today's game. No need to overreact to a loss in a place we have not won in decades at and having to travel across the country on a short week. It happens. 

• Like 3

Flores from the 2nd half of the game last season put two on Aiyuk and pretty much took him out of the game. Very smart and he knows if you take Aiyuk's big play ability away, then the offense will sputter. With as many two looks as we are seeing, we need to be able to run some screens to Deebo far better than what we have seen the first two weeks. Deebo should be able to eat with the way defenses are defending this offense now. 

Purdy made some bad decisions and held the ball too long at times but he still made some very good throws as he always does. Just needs to stop forcing in traffic like Jimmy would often do. As good as Jennings is, we need to find a way to get Cowing involved and have him be another threat opposite Aiyuk of stretching the field. 

With the next three games either being at home or in California, time to take advantage and get to 4-1 before the big Seahawks showdown.