Week 2 GDT: Jets @ Titans

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Screenshot isn't in great context. He is already throwing it. 

And in this shot Burks has a step and the safety is turned. 

It was a shot play. I'm imagining that was the first read and it's there. Pass itself could have been slightly better but Burks had a chance to make a play. 

This is where it becomes a pain to be a fan, when the QB isn't where you want him to be. 

Every pass is picked apart. I get it. But doesn't make it less annoying for someone like me. 

well, it wasn't the first read. they were running yankee. it's one of the most common play action pass concepts in football- arthur smith ran it all the time here with ryan tannehill. you try to run it against a single-high safety, which is the look the jets gave them, and you're reading that deep safety. if he comes down to cover the crosser (ridley on this play) you throw it deep, and if he covers the deep man (burks) you throw to the crosser. the safety stayed deep and the crosser was wide open. it was literally textbook, the perfect playcall against the perfect look that should have been a pitch and catch 20+ yard gain and levis made exactly the wrong read.

Edited by -Hope-

6 hours ago, -Hope- said:

levis blew the first three downs of the end-of-game goal-to-go sequence. processing just isn't there at all. even if you take away the hellacious turnovers this has to improve if he wants to be a starting-caliber QB.

I will say, the design on the first down play is a bit weird to me. If Hopkins isn’t being aggressively held, it seems like he’s bringing his man right into Ridley’s route?

I find the third down play most confusing. It’s a designed play to get Pollard one on one in space. And that’s exactly what they had.

Fourth down I don’t really agree that the ball was late (I know you didn’t include it but SuperHorn did), Chig was supposed to clear the middle by running behind Boyd, but he’s being pressed 15 yards downfield, which completely disrupted the timing of the design and should have been a penalty, just like the first down play.

I’ll say this, I think all-22 makes life really hard on young QBs that are being carefully dissected. When you have an aerial view of an entire play, it makes it really easy to disregard reads and protection and focus on misses.  I like know I’m making excuses here, but I also think when you take an aerial view and then put it into slow motion it really, really disregards the speed of an NFL game.

Like the Burks pick, Ridley is open on the crosser. That’s where the ball should go. But also, we can see what Levis is seeing live right? The safety is turned the wrong way and Burks has two steps and a DB with his back turned. My bigger issue I suppose is that he underthrew and despite Burks size and strength, he’s not a competent jump ball receiver.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 615finest said:

I was talking about this play in another Levis thread, saying it was mostly Burks' fault that it wasn't caught, but thinking that a deep pass like that was a really strange choice on the next offensive play after a turnover, but not being sure if it was designed this way, or if Levis made a strange decision.

It felt like it was at least a little bit Levis's fault.  Looks like that is correct.

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I was talking about this play in another Levis thread, saying it was mostly Burks' fault that it wasn't caught, but thinking that a deep pass like that was a really strange choice on the next offensive play after a turnover, but not being sure if it was designed this way, or if Levis made a strange decision.

It felt like it was at least a little bit Levis's fault.  Looks like that is correct.

I feel like it was called shot play. I feel it was Cally saying let it rip, I still have confidence in you. Take the shot. 
It wasn't a bad decision to me. It wasn't the safest but wasn't a bad one. Like a team that lives and dies by the 3 point shot. 
Let them fly. You might lose when you off, but you also win, when you on.  Levis did it again later with Ridley, we reaped the benefits of that decision. 

8 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I’ll say this, I think all-22 makes life really hard on young QBs that are being carefully dissected. When you have an aerial view of an entire play, it makes it really easy to disregard reads and protection and focus on misses.  I like know I’m making excuses here, but I also think when you take an aerial view and then put it into slow motion it really, really disregards the speed of an NFL game.

Like the Burks pick, Ridley is open on the crosser. That’s where the ball should go. But also, we can see what Levis is seeing live right? The safety is turned the wrong way and Burks has two steps and a DB with his back turned. My bigger issue I suppose is that he underthrew and despite Burks size and strength, he’s not a competent jump ball receiver.

What All-22 does it gives Joe Smoes like us and sense that we know what we are seeing. Maybe we do, but maybe we don't.  

Someone takes a still of a video and shows a RB missing a hole, a QB missing a read or a LB going the wrong way. 

You can take film from literally every QB that ever plays a game and show3-4 plays a game where they missed a guy.

I get we in UT country. I get he makes mistakes. Did we not just see Cousins and Hurts make mistakes last night and they aren't in their 12 start. 

We all hate his two HUGE dumb plays. They are inexcusable. But now we are in the weeds of a young QB, with little NFL experience making the mistakes that EVERY young, inexperienced young QB make. And people are hating him like this is his 5th year doing it. 

Do we not know if we move on from Levis and draft a QB, that QB will make the SAME mistakes that a young, Inexperienced QB will make? 

Hate him for the Flip 6 and the toss fumble. Rip him to shreds, he deserves it. 

But oh dang he didn't recognize a coverage or read, toss him in the trash? I find that hard to do, especially if our goal is to develop a young QB ever in life. 

9 hours ago, titans0021 said:

we saw him do this exact thing last year against the colts- pass up a wide open crosser on yankee to take a huge shot to chris moore that ended up falling incomplete and killing a drive. honestly, that one was an great throw that could have been caught. but at what point do you expect the guy to make the competent QB play and take the easy 20+ yard gain that keeps the chains moving? because i can all but guarantee you he is not being taught to just take the shot on that concept every time. not to mention that taking the crosser is still a good shot at a huge, explosive play- it's how AJB scored like half his touchdowns here because there is huge YAC potential, and while ridley's not the YAC guy AJB is, he's got the speed to make plenty of things happen in that role. literally half our drives are ending in three and outs thus far in the season. we can't deal with this level of inconsistency.

9 hours ago, titans0021 said:

couple things here

1. This is more existential but all the film breakdowns, twitter film posts, advanced metrics, etc sometimes do more harm than good to me as a fan. Like I love reading and watching all the stuff, but it turns into an echo chamber after bad games...when sometimes a bad game is just a bad game (speaking generally here). Like I saw some stat about how NO is using less 3 WR sets than everyone and they're lighting it up, and we're closer to the top of the league. We had screamed for years to use more 3 WR sets and not be so heavy. But end of the day, it really just comes down to teams executing their playcalls. You can win on the ground, you can win in the air, you can win with heavy sets, you can win with 3 WR sets. As long as the players are executing the plays at a higher rate. There's so many ways to skin a cat and all the info just gets to be too much sometimes. It's all important and worth keeping in mind, but my point is more so on how this can all just become a rabbit hole for a fan and I've often fallen down into it through all our bad QB/offensive play over the years.

2. In your last sentence, you don't need the words: competent, jump or ball

• Like 1