Sam Darnold back to the Jets next year?

paul-mac

Darnold seems to be heading the way of Geno Smith with a redemption arc after being a bust in New York. He’s on a one year $10m deal in Minnesota and they’ll be going to JJ McCarthy next season.

The Jets have Aaron Rodgers of course, but he’s 40 now and there’s at least a 50/50 chance he will retire after the season. The rookie QB class doesn’t look great and in any case the Jets will surely win enough games to be out of range if any QB does manage to establish himself as an early pick.

Therefore, I can see a scenario where Darnold ends up back on the Jets as a free agent next season. Crazy career arc that would be.

Does anyone else think this could happen or am I nuts? 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Not happening. A better question is could Minnesota truly go away from him if he keeps playing well. McCarthy was a FRP but at the end of the day the best guy should play. 

Ironically they were in the exact same position with Keenum and Bridgewater a few years ago. And they ended up deciding to go with neither and paid Cousins instead.

Rodgers said he is giving the Jets 2 years, anything can happen but Rodgers has been very clear that he is not retiring after this season and wants to give the Jets a minimum of 2 years. He said last season didn't count as it was a wasted season. So I doubt this would happen. But I am rooting for Darnold still, I always felt he had talent and ability just got stuck on the absolute worst team at developing QBs in the NFL.

I'd look to Darnold going to somewhere like Pitt or Las Vegas. Maybe the Giants. 

I think anyone who runs some variant of the Shanahan system should be interested in him as a potential bridge + more QB 

But he's got to perform the entire season. If I'm not mistaken, historically he kind of has a thing where his first few starts of the year are pretty good, and then he falls apart as he adds more and more. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Ironically they were in the exact same position with Keenum and Bridgewater a few years ago. And they ended up deciding to go with neither and paid Cousins instead.

The big difference here is that McCarthy's knee is nowhere near as bad as the condition Bridgewater's was in.

33 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

He had an even better start with the Panthers a couple years ago. Chill tf out with the Darnold hype.

Panthers ruined two qb who look like legit star they had Mayfield too

Panthers and Jets horrible places for a qb to end up in