Where Drew Brees rank all-time?

Steelersfan43

Honestly, if we are talking about just his play as a QB, I'd put him a lot higher than some QBs that had more accolades/post-season success, but taking everything into account, I'd probably still put him in the top 5-8.

29 minutes ago, Raves said:

Honestly, if we are talking about just his play as a QB, I'd put him a lot higher than some QBs that had more accolades/post-season success, but taking everything into account, I'd probably still put him in the top 5-8.

8-10. I know he had a lot of bad defenses, but that also helped with his stats. Great QB but imo a better version of Stafford.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scottish_Viking said:

8-10. I know he had a lot of bad defenses, but that also helped with his stats. Great QB but imo a better version of Stafford.

Passing yards maybe, but a lot of his best seasons were also our best defensive seasons.  

16 hours ago, Scottish_Viking said:

Bad defenses don't make you one of the most efficient passers of all time.  I think the "stat padder" argument is a little overblown because even if he had bad defenses that caused him to throw more, that doesn't take away from him doing it efficiently while single handedly keeping the Saints from picking #1 overall due to how bad their defenses were.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 4:20 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

I think there's arguments for Brees, taking era into account, anywhere from 5-15. He's about 7-10 for me.

This is where I'm pretty much at.  If I'm ranking qbs, I start thinking about him at the end of the top 10, and I don't think I'd pass 15 before I'd write him in.  

Putting him top 5 is really difficult.  I've only been watching football since the mid 90's, and just from guys I've seen, I wouldn't say he's one of the 5 best.  Then you start factoring in the Unitas, Graham and Montana's, and there is just no way he's in the top 5.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

14 hours ago, Raves said:

Bad defenses don't make you one of the most efficient passers of all time.  I think the "stat padder" argument is a little overblown because even if he had bad defenses that caused him to throw more, that doesn't take away from him doing it efficiently while single handedly keeping the Saints from picking #1 overall due to how bad their defenses were.

Yeh of course. But having a bad defense and being in shootouts will have you throwing more. Testament to how good Drew was. But he isn't top 5 in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Scottish_Viking said:

Yeh of course. But having a bad defense and being in shootouts will have you throwing more. Testament to how good Drew was. But he isn't top 5 in my opinion.

Of his top 5 best statistical seasons, saints only had a bad defense in one of them.  Seems a silly thing to try and argue.

• Like 1

12-15ish

Id have Brady, Manning, Unitas, Montana, Young, Marino, Favre, Rodgers, Mahomes, Staubach as definitively better in my eyes. Brees is in the Elway/Jim Kelly/Aikman/Bradshaw tier for me.

Edited by Ray Reed