Saints 2017 draft class (and the great classes of all-time)

sammymvpknight

On 9/18/2024 at 10:30 PM, candyman93 said:

Uhhhh what?

There was serious discussion about Cleveland drafting him #1 overall.

I'll put my hand up - he reminded me of Mitch Trubisky. I wouldn't say I was laughing at them, but at the time I did question it (and was looking correct in his rookie year, big credit to Josh for working tirelessly to improve to the level he has). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy86 said:

I'll put my hand up - he reminded me of Mitch Trubisky. I wouldn't say I was laughing at them, but at the time I did question it (and was looking correct in his rookie year, big credit to Josh for working tirelessly to improve to the level he has). 

I was extremely anti-Allen.  I didn't think they'd bust the trend of improving a QB's accuracy from college to the NFL.

Not the first QB I've whiffed on completely, and won't be the last either.

• Like 2

Texans 2023 class.

Stroud, Terminator, Juice Scruggs, Tank Dell, Dylan Horton, Henry To'o To'o, Jarrett Patterson, Xavier Hutchinson - with the exception of Horton (who was out last season due to an undisclosed medical condition) each one of these guys has come up as key contributors.

On 9/18/2024 at 1:00 PM, candyman93 said:

2018 draft class wasn’t a deep draft for Cleveland, but it was franchise altering - Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, and Nick Chubb.

We got 2 all pros and a QB that gave the franchise a spark.

I still wish Baker was there. I wanted to root for Cleveland. He was clearing playing thru an injury, looked terrible doing so, cost himself a lot of money and then got kicked to the curb for that predator 

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

Texans 2023 class.

Stroud, Terminator, Juice Scruggs, Tank Dell, Dylan Horton, Henry To'o To'o, Jarrett Patterson, Xavier Hutchinson - with the exception of Horton (who was out last season due to an undisclosed medical condition) each one of these guys has come up as key contributors.

It’ll be remembered for Robbing the Rams ROY and DROY.’serious, nutty. 

In terms of impact on a team, very few drafts will ever match the inaugural Ravens draft in 1996. I’m not sure it’s exaggeration to say that that draft set the tone for everything they’ve become over the next 3 decades.

The Ravens’ identity has always been run the ball, play ferocious defense, and steal a huge advantage on special teams. With their first pick, they took one of the greatest OL of all time (Jonathan Ogden). With their second pick, they took one of the greatest defenders/leaders of all-time (Ray Lewis). And later in the draft, they took one of the greatest punt returners of all time (Jermaine Lewis), who also happened to have one pretty important kickoff return for a TD.

Leading off any draft with two HOFers is pretty amazing. Starting your tenure in a new city with two HOF picks right out of the box is legendary.

• Like 2

For my fighting Washingtons, on pure talent, it would have to be 1964.

They took Charley Taylor with their first pick, who was one of the great receivers of the 60s and 70s. He was also used out of the backfield early in his career — as a rookie, he had 750+ yards both rushing and receiving. He was the first player in NFL history to accomplish that, and the only one until 1979 to do it. Made 8 Pro Bowls and a few All-Pro teams, won ROY, and went to the team’s first SB.

With their second pick, they took Paul Krause. People remember him as a Viking (for good reason), but the Redskins actually drafted him. He had 28 INTs in his 4 seasons in Washington, with two TD returns. He made two Pro Bowls and two All-Pro teams in Washington, finishing 2nd in the ROY voting to teammate Charley Taylor. Sadly, they then traded him to MIN for LB Marlin McKeever and a 7th round pick. Another HOFer, of course.

They also took Len Hauss in the 9th round, a guy who is probably more of a “Hall of Very Good” type player. He started 192 consecutive games at center, making 5 trips to the Pro Bowl along the way.

And as an added bonus, they also used their 7th round pick on arguably one of the greatest “All-Name Team” guys in the history of sports: QB D[i][/i]ick Shiner, who actually went on to start for the Steelers for a couple seasons before being usurped by some guy named Bradshaw.

In terms of impact on the team and its championships, 1964 probably falls a bit short because of trading Krause away. By that standard, it probably has to be 1981, when they landed Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Mark May, Charlie Brown, Darryl Grant, and Clint Didier — all of whom were starters on at least one SB champion (with Grimm getting 3 rings). The Pitt OL duo of Grimm and May were key members of the famous Hogs OL that defined the 1980s Redskins.

3 hours ago, El Ramster said:

I understood Puka. I didn’t accept it. But I understood it. But the Turner one broke me. Because Kobie played the best, and Jalen was the fav all year. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Denied.