• or Seahawks (2-0)
    • Lions (1-1)
    • or Cardinals (1-1)
    • Ravens (1-1)
    • or Cowboys (1-1)
    • 49ers (1-1)
    • or Rams (0-2)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/22/2024 at 05:00 PM

3 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Eagles fans what’s going on with him? I hated that the Colts cut him I believe they overreacted. Last I heard he was having a good training camp and even AJ Brown was giving him praise.

We are just very good at CB and don't need him essentially. He got a lot of snaps with the first team at camp when they tested Quinyon at NCB, but since the regular season him and Slay have taken the snaps outside. Q is a beast there so no reason to move him inside, and Kelee Ringo had a really good camp and seemingly won the backup outside CB spot.

Not sure when he lost the 3rd CB job, but it seems like him getting hurt before the game in Brazil didn't help at all. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

No other place to put this, but man, I'm still on the 'abolish the draft' train. I was just reading a story about the Manning cast and one of the impetuses for Peyton not accepting a regular broadcasting job was that he wanted to be able to catch more than just one Vols game a year. It made me think about how loyal all these NFL players are to their alma maters, while there seems to be a lot less loyalty to the NFL teams that now pay them tens of millions of dollars. When you start to think deeper about it, I really think the main difference is simply how they were sold on that college program and, the big one, that they got to choose where they went. The ability to make that choice for yourself, the autonomy that is granted, means so much. I really want to see that happen in the NFL. Abolish the NFL draft, give every team a set pool of money (that they can trade, like international signing money in the MLB), and let these kids loose. If you want the best player in the draft, you're going to have to use most of your money on them, but so be it. If a player really wants to sign with a specific team even though they can't offer him the most money, so be it. We've seen time and time again how much situation and location and coaching matters for a prospect. Let them choose where they want to go and I really think we'll get better products on the field for it.

The NFL draft is like a 2nd Christmas for me and for a lot of us here, so I get that. But I think change is needed. They could still hold a big event, but it would be more like a massive, combined signing day than what it is now. Players and their agents make their deals and decisions behind the curtain, then can come out onstage and announce where they are going and put on the hat just like they do now.

As a fan from across the pond who follows the other football, I've seen first hand how many European leagues are now completely boring monopolies or duopolies, and this idea feels like it would lead to a similar situation. If you give players a choice, they'll want to play for the big teams or best locations. Of which there are/will be a limited amount of options.

I get that your proposal isn't exactly the same thing as European soccer where there's no draft OR salary cap and it's simply the deepest pockets who usually win, but it's immediately going to put at least half the league at a big disadvantage in terms of the players who might actually want to sign for them because they're not a destination or based in a state with minimal taxes. Parity would go out the window (which some people might like, but I doubt the NFL will be on that list!)

This idea would benefit my team and negatively impact on our rivals who are currently dominating the league, and yet I still can't really see the overall benefits in the same way you're suggesting.

Edit - also, I just thought. If the teams only have a set amount of cash to spend, I'm not sure how much it would really be player choice anyway. Once teams have used their salary budgets bidding on the best QBs as they come out of college, the rest of the players are going to have far less choice in where they want to go anyway, because it'll probably come down to economics at that stage; which would lead to essentially as much of a crapshoot in terms of where they end up as is the case with the draft anyway.

7 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

As a fan from across the pond who follows the other football, I've seen first hand how many European leagues are now completely boring monopolies or duopolies, and this idea feels like it would lead to a similar situation. If you give players a choice, they'll want to play for the big teams or best locations. Of which there are/will be a limited amount of options.

I get that your proposal isn't exactly the same thing as European soccer where there's no draft OR salary cap and it's simply the deepest pockets who usually win, but it's immediately going to put at least half the league at a big disadvantage in terms of the players who might actually want to sign for them because they're not a destination or based in a state with minimal taxes. Parity would go out the window (which some people might like, but I doubt the NFL will be on that list!)

This idea would benefit my team and negatively impact on our rivals who are currently dominating the league, and yet I still can't really see the overall benefits in the same way you're suggesting.

Edit - also, I just thought. If the teams only have a set amount of cash to spend, I'm not sure how much it would really be player choice anyway. Once teams have used their salary budgets bidding on the best QBs as they come out of college, the rest of the players are going to have far less choice in where they want to go anyway, because it'll probably come down to economics at that stage; which would lead to essentially as much of a crapshoot in terms of where they end up as is the case with the draft anyway.

To add to this thought, college programs couldn't really be controlled from spending prior to NIL program, why do we think you could control what a professional team is "paying" rookies. There's no control on sponsorships at the pro level (rightfully) so any company could indirectly pay the talent whatever they want. That "pool" of money isn't actually limiting any spending.

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

To add to this thought, college programs couldn't really be controlled from spending prior to NIL program, why do we think you could control what a professional team is "paying" rookies. There's no control on sponsorships at the pro level (rightfully) so any company could indirectly pay the talent whatever they want. That "pool" of money isn't actually limiting any spending.

College programs can't be controlled spending during this NIL era either, because there are no contracts. In the NFL, there are contracts. All players sign them and are paid accordingly. The numbers in that contract are what are counted towards the cap. You're making up a problem that doesn't exist in the NFL. Do you worry about players getting extra money in sponsorships to play for certain teams in free agency?

Edited by minutemancl

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

College programs can't be controlled spending during this NIL era either, because there are no contracts. In the NFL, there are contracts. All players sign them and are paid accordingly. The numbers in that contract are what are counted towards the cap. You're making up a problem that doesn't exist in the NFL. Do you worry about players getting extra money in sponsorships to play for certain teams in free agency?

I mean...players do get money in other ways from teams. Wasn't Tom Brady's training program hired by the organization (Patriots I think at the time)? Pretty sure this type of thing happens more than you think.