2024 GDT Week #3 Steelers 3-0 Visit the Colts 1-2

30 minutes ago, 43M said:

Too much overblown hype with this team right now.

Dont get me wrong, this team has been a breath of fresh air thus far, BUT.....I cant help but feel like people are overlooking certain things when getting excited about this team right now.

As solid as Fields has been, and as much as I hope he continues to improve, I am absolutely not sold on him yet as a long term starter.   Ive seen people talking about a nee contract already, which kind of boggles my mind.   I give him credit for what he has done thus far, but in reality, he hasnt been asked to do much except not screw up.   And again, he has been good as a game manager so far, but with the defense playing how they have, he hasnt had to put too many points up, and when we DO eventually need him to do more, I have a feeling he may come back down to earth.    Lets remember that Tomlin has had some semi decent luck with backup caliber QBs for certain stretches, especially when the defense is playing well.

And speaking of the defense, I believe its also getting overhyped.   I believe this is definitely a good defense....perhaps even great, but right now, they are on a historic pace which wont hold up.   They played a week one Falcons teams which was still a work in progress, a Broncos team with a raw rookie QB, and the one good QB we played for a half tore us up a bit, and we got lucky we only had to shut down a backup in the 2nd half.

Not trying to be a downer, just a realist.   This team has played well thus far and I give them credit.   I admit that both Arthur Smith and Justin Fields have been better than I expected.    I just feel like people need to slow down the hype train, especially when it comes to Fields.   I hope he continues to develop, but right now, I still view him as a backup caliber QB that is playing well in favorable situations.  I really want to see if he can keep improving which is why I am completely in favor of keeping him as the starter, but I am waiting for the point where he is asked to do more to see how he responds before I get at all excited about him having a future here.

He's already done this. He threw the ball 32 times in a game the team could get zero rushing production until the 4th quarter and only had 6 yards rushing himself, against a team that was a top 5 ranked defense coming into the game (against poor competition). The box score could have easily read 27 points. 

Your take on the offense is fair otherwise. And I know this is only one game. But he did prove, in at least one game, that he could win a game with his arm and elevate mediocre receivers like Calvin Austin and Scottie Miller when nothing else was working with the offense. And you could argue if they defense didn't play as well as they did then his stats could have looked even better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

What are your thoughts on the game?

What do you think are the Colts' strengths to exploit against the Steelers?

Running with AR more. I get that they don’t want to risk him getting injured but I think the Colts have been conservative with the run calls. I would also like more snaps from Sermon he’s a powerful RB and heck of a pass blocker as the Steelers tend to blitz a lot. We have a top 3 OL and a QB that’s basically a rookie I’d call for a heavy run game and if the Steelers stop it hats off to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

I think that this is an excellent post. I may not agree with everything that you stated, but this was well thought out and definitely gives some things to consider. Here is my input/feedback.

Too much overblown hype with this team right now.

I don't see this yet.  I think many are quietly waiting for the bottom to fall in the first loss and say, "See I told you! Same old Steelers!'

As fans we should get excited when they win. We sure give them hell when they lose. Remember those three losses last year to the Browns, Cardinals, and Patriots? People were calling for heads to roll. Many expected the Steeles to  be 2-1, 1-2, or 0-3.  Not many expected 3-0. They did this with the back-up QB, a new OC, and half the OL new or injured. 

Dont get me wrong, this team has been a breath of fresh air thus far, BUT.....I cant help but feel like people are overlooking certain things when getting excited about this team right now.

Fair point, but again, we should be fair. When they mess up, fans let them know. When they win, fans should let them know. In my opinion, the regular season isn't important in fans eyes. It is the post season. Until this teams starts to look like a real competitor, I.E. win in the play-off's, they will get criticism. Mike tomlin very much reminds me of Andy Reid in Philadelphia with McNabb versus KC with Mahomes. 

As solid as Fields has been, and as much as I hope he continues to improve, I am absolutely not sold on him yet as a long term starter.   

I disagree. I think he was brought here to be that.  In my opinion, Russell's injury forced him into action. He has met the challenge, but in a perfect world (my perfect world for his development), he should have sat or got in on special situations.  

Ive seen people talking about a new contract already, which kind of boggles my mind.   I give him credit for what he has done thus far, but in reality, he hasnt been asked to do much except not screw up.   And again, he has been good as a game manager so far, but with the defense playing how they have, he hasnt had to put too many points up, and when we DO eventually need him to do more, I have a feeling he may come back down to earth.   

Teams will eventually figure out the ingredients that you are putting in the hot dog! He is the #2 guy this year, but that doesn't mean he can't be the #1. I think too many of today's QB's are mismanaged or misdeveloped.  Again, I said the same thing about Pickett. The Steelers threw him into the fire too soon. Fields got thrown in out of neccessity.  Despite the fact that many feel he is the starter, I don't. I also believe that he is the starter in many fans eyes until he messes up. That's not the best way to manage him either. 

dlK1lRWpLQQ-1024x576.jpg

Lets remember that Tomlin has had some semi decent luck with backup caliber QBs for certain stretches, especially when the defense is playing well.

Yes! Even going back to the days of Cahrlie Batch and Byron Leftwhich. 

And speaking of the defense, I believe its also getting overhyped.   I believe this is definitely a good defense....perhaps even great, but right now, they are on a historic pace which wont hold up.   They played a week one Falcons teams which was still a work in progress, a Broncos team with a raw rookie QB, and the one good QB we played for a half tore us up a bit, and we got lucky we only had to shut down a backup in the 2nd half.

Perhaps. However, I think the defense is showing a vast improvement in the run defense. The DL is improved and deeper than expected. ILB is deeper and is improving each week. DeShon Elliott has been a great fit for this defense. If the offense can ball control even better, they will be better than anticipated. Last year they got worn down in many games. Often a great defense is a good offense. I think Watt's on a mission. Minkah wants to get back to his old self. Cam is healthy. We have two really good CB's and once Cam returns from suspension, we have a pretty darn good slot. This defense should get better.

Not trying to be a downer, just a realist.   This team has played well thus far and I give them credit.   I admit that both Arthur Smith and Justin Fields have been better than I expected.    I just feel like people need to slow down the hype train, especially when it comes to Fields.   

You take that with a dose of fandom. Remember how our fan base acted with Mason winning three games?  Justin just won.....3 games!

I hope he continues to develop, but right now, I still view him as a backup caliber QB that is playing well in favorable situations. 

I agree with this totally. I just believe that he has starting potential. That doesn't mean in 2024. Hopefully he can stay and Arthur Smith can as well. A good OC and developing QB are a great offensive marriage. Let Justin develop, get some more offensive weapons WR2, scatback and we are cooking with gas.  Maybe even high octane!😁

I really want to see if he can keep improving which is why I am completely in favor of keeping him as the starter, but I am waiting for the point where he is asked to do more to see how he responds before I get at all excited about him having a future here.

I agree with this take as well. I think the rub is that you don't ask him to do more than he is capable of doing. This is why I believe that Russ should be the starter. He is capable of doing more right now. He doesn't have the mobility of Justin, but from an experience and savy standpoint, could do more. Let Justin develop. Don't microwave him. Let him slow cook. This was the problem that I had with the Steelers with Pickett. He needed to sit like Mahomes did. He also didn't have an Alex Smith to mentor him. Teams throw QB's in too soon. Then get excited by early success. Then get disapointed when they level off. Then get pissed off when they don't improve immediately.  This is not only here, but also everywhere in the NFL.  Look at Jacksonville and Philadelphia.  Trevor is getting thrown under the bus and fans are criticizing Jalen.  Both have not had the most stable development. DO your QB a fovr and let him grow and mature at a reasonable pace. Justin went through this in Chicago.  

That said, the Steelers got him to be their QB of the future. Unfortunately for most fans, the future is not always right now!

In my opinion, it is more fun as a fan to get excited and be optimistic about the team when I see progress or things that I like. If they end up sucking it will all hurt the same in the end anyways. Others choose to be more pessimistic or better yet, realistic about the team and that is ok. It's what helps generate good discussion and dialogue. I appreciate that we have a good mix on this forum. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

He's already done this. He threw the ball 32 times in a game the team could get zero rushing production until the 4th quarter and only had 6 yards rushing himself, against a team that was a top 5 ranked defense coming into the game (against poor competition). The box score could have easily read 27 points. 

I mean, his defense held San Diego to 10 points.  That wont always be the case and thats what I want to see.   How will he perform when there is more pressure on him to score points.

He is playing pretty well, and the San Diego game was his best game, but he showed just as much to be concerned about the first two weeks as he showed to be excited about.

I hope he continues to improve, but any QB can have a good game or even a few.   Even Pickett did.   The difference between good QBs and mediocre ones is CONSISTENCY...something Fields has always struggled with.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Your take on the offense is fair otherwise. And I know this is only one game. But he did prove, in at least one game, that he could win a game with his arm and elevate mediocre receivers like Calvin Austin and Scottie Miller when nothing else was working with the offense. And you could argue if they defense didn't play as well as they did then his stats could have looked even better. 

And if he can keep doing it....great.   Ill give him credit, but its still way too soon to be sold on him as our QBotF.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Running with AR more. I get that they don’t want to risk him getting injured but I think the Colts have been conservative with the run calls.

Oddly, this is actually a strength of the Steelers. They face Lamar, Deshaun, and other mobile QBs regulalary. They actually have done well against QB's who play with this style. They have actually gotten the better of Lamar thus far as well. Last year, your OL pounded the heck out of our DL.  I think stopping JT and the Cam vs. Nelson matchup will be big. In 2021 or 2022 a healthy Cam got the better , last year Nelson and the Colts OL road graded our defense. 

Personally, I think I would rather see Richardon try to run than your RB's. 

I would also like more snaps from Sermon he’s a powerful RB and heck of a pass blocker as the Steelers tend to blitz a lot.

This has been a bit of a misleading opinion. The Steelers have not blitzed nearly as much as they have in the past. They have  gotten decent pressure ith their 4 DL's with Watt, Highsmith (now hurt) and Herbig (replacement).  You will see some DeMavin Leal as well because he is a little more stout against the run thsn Herbig.  I have not checked the exact stat for % of blitzes, but listening to Mike Tomlin Press Conferences he has noted that they did not blitz Cousin's in Atlanta much, didn't  want to blitz in Denver because of Bo's ability to run, and didn't do that with Herbert because he killed them running when they played in 2022 (or was it 2023)? They did change up and blitz more in the second half as Hebert was carving up the defense some with passing in the first half. 

We have a top 3 OL and a QB that’s basically a rookie I’d call for a heavy run game and if the Steelers stop it hats off to them.

I have a man crush on Quentin Nelson. Bar none the best OG in football. You don't hear the term used for Guards, but he is a franchise OL nonetheless. He should be headed to Canton five years after he retires. 

That top three OL is my concern. The Steelers have faced two other top ten OL's in the Falcons and the Chargers who had the #1 rushing attack. I hope they have found some success and the improvements coming at ILB with Queen, Roberts, and Wilson.

To your point, I would rather Richardson beat me than JT. If he does, hats off to him, but my primary focus is to slow JT. I am hoping Richardson can be fooled into some bad reads and throws that can hopefully lead to an INT or two. 

Thanks for the input and feedback!!!!.

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Bar none the best OG in football.

PFF has Daniels at that spot according to a clip I watched. Maybe thats run blocking  or is it total grade, but it's PFF fwiw -_-

is this a trap game, the one tomlins teams lose from the past, like so many of them?

colts haven't done much, but never give up either.  I think we win a close one

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I mean, his defense held San Diego to 10 points.  That wont always be the case and thats what I want to see.   How will he perform when there is more pressure on him to score points.

He is playing pretty well, and the San Diego game was his best game, but he showed just as much to be concerned about the first two weeks as he showed to be excited about.

I hope he continues to improve, but any QB can have a good game or even a few.   Even Pickett did.   The difference between good QBs and mediocre ones is CONSISTENCY...something Fields has always struggled with.

And if he can keep doing it....great.   Ill give him credit, but its still way too soon to be sold on him as our QBotF.

Yea, I mean everything you're saying is a completely fair take. Anything can happen. 

• Like 2

I really like Steichen, and he whooped us last year. Only 1 3 and out the entire game. 

The best defense (...other than having a great defense) is to eliminate the game script. Fast offense turns this game into Richardson without a run game.

If our offense can work fast, we should cruise. If they stay on schedule and let Steichen work a full playbook this could be a nail biter (or you know, just a normal Sunday for Steelers fans).