Week 4 GDT - Denver at New York Jets

AnAngryAmerican

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Wondering why ? Nix is proving him right with that selection, he's developing quicker than most thought. As for the offense, we have ZERO at the TE position, the WR's (even Sutton) hasn't really been on the plus side, and the RBs have been below par for the season so far. Yes, our D and ST have been responsible for giving us these two wins, but given the lack of playmakers on offense, I feel he's got us on the right track, which is more than I can say for the last THREE head coaches we've had

The context of trading premium picks for him probably tips the scales for me. When you give up picks for a coach you expect them to bring something above and beyond what is otherwise available. Bypassing guys like KOC and Demeco over the years is just a difficult pill to swallow. (hindsight I know) Plus I will admit, I just don't really like him as a person( also petty I know). He does seem to have the team playing competitive football, but how much of that credit should go to defensive coaches/personnel? Realistically,  I should probably be more patient. He needs some time to implement his system. He is bringing along a rookie quarterback(who had a rough day) all while having a considerable lack of explosive talent on the offensive side of the ball which makes it really difficult to look like an offensive guru. That being said I just don't see all that much from a scheme/play call perspective that gets me excited. We aren't doing anything that three quarters of the league is not also doing. We are asking a rookie quarterback to throw 30+ times per game. I would personally like to see them put Nix under center with more frequency and try to get some push and get a run game going. Our run game outta shotgun is pedestrian at best.  

Our last two drives were also pretty questionable. The roll out with the pass to the flat on the second to last drive in particular. If you are going to go conservative and chew clock why do you then call a play with the primary read to the flat for five yards. Why take the chance of an incompletion for limited upside. I will try and watch that particular play again, maybe he thought he would catch them off guard and it was designed for a play further down the field and he was giving Nix a chance to go win the game but hard to say without looking at film. 

I think it is fair to say that my frustrations are more with the Broncos as a franchise lately. I need to get used to practicing patience, we all knew it would be difficult to dig our way out of the hole we created with the Russ debacle. 

Edited by MontanaBronco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

In that weather, nothing was going to matter but the win.

2-2 and a fantastic road stint.

Wonder when the last time we won two 1pm EST games in a row was?

This is the key. The team is super young and went on the road and won back the back 11am games on the east coast against prospective playoff teams. Not all wins have to be pretty, and today was ugly AF, but this is how a young team grows up.

We’re 2-2 and have 3 of the next 4 at home. This is where we can really start to establish an identity. I don’t think this team is anything close to a contender but games like today are big time grow up games. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

I think this confirms our defense is top5 in this league. It was truly amazing to see despite such an ugly game.

Strange in the main forum seeing HOW MANY Nix haters there are in there..especially from Washington (i guess that makes sense) and Buffalo. Don't get me wrong he played the worst he's played today upon first glance, but my god, we don't even know who he is yet.

Definitely reverted to passes behind the lines but also on some of those long ones, our dudes just dropped it but were decent balls. I'm still very curious to see how he progresses through the season

As a Georgia fan, I’ve seen him plenty.  I do like Dan Lanning, and watched plenty of Oregon as well, even after Nix went there.  Being a Washington fan has zero to do with not liking Nix.  

Definitely hope for the best for him, he’s your guy.  Like I said, I liked rooting for Denver years ago, back when Elway and Davis were there, and I loved how the Shanahan offense just churned out running backs year after year, and I did want Shanahan to turn Washington around.  

I’ll leave the rest for discussion in other areas since this is y’all’s place.  In any game played in weather conditions like that, a win is a win, and I also think a net positive is no sacks allowed…….and Vance Joseph is quickly rebuilding his reputation around the league.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As a Georgia fan, I’ve seen him plenty.  I do like Dan Lanning, and watched plenty of Oregon as well, even after Nix went there.  Being a Washington fan has zero to do with not liking Nix.  

Definitely hope for the best for him, he’s your guy.  Like I said, I liked rooting for Denver years ago, back when Elway and Davis were there, and I loved how the Shanahan offense just churned out running backs year after year, and I did want Shanahan to turn Washington around.  

I’ll leave the rest for discussion in other areas since this is y’all’s place.  In any game played in weather conditions like that, a win is a win, and I also think a net positive is no sacks allowed…….and Vance Joseph is quickly rebuilding his reputation around the league.  

No worries man. Just seemed like you and a few other guys had some passionately negative input about Nix. I'm sure the reality of it is you've probably seen much more of his career than I and judging from what we've seen so far, he will probably at best end up maxing out as a middle of the league QB but MORE than likely end up along of what you are projecting

The crazy thing is around here that's sadly a breath of fresh air. We had dudes that should have stayed backups other places as our starters. I will say Bo has already shown as much or more than Drew Lock did in 2 seasons...just realize that's our comparison around here.

Shanahan and legacy died with Bowlen and the decisions made thereafter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

No worries man. Just seemed like you and a few other guys had some passionately negative input about Nix. I'm sure the reality of it is you've probably seen much more of his career than I and judging from what we've seen so far, he will probably at best end up maxing out as a middle of the league QB but MORE than likely end up along of what you are projecting

The crazy thing is around here that's sadly a breath of fresh air. We had dudes that should have stayed backups other places as our starters. I will say Bo has already shown as much or more than Drew Lock did in 2 seasons...just realize that's our comparison around here.

What Joe Ellis did to this organization as a whole from 2009 until it was sold was unforgivable.

That said, I think the Walmarts have done a phenomenal job. They’re serious, they’re invested, they’re integrating themselves into some of the “big boy” clubs and committees of the NFL administration. The Broncos aren’t a sidepiece for their empire. I was skeptical but I’ve been impressed and will give credit where it’s due. 

Mike is going to the Hall Fame. Mr. B is in the Hall of Fame. Their legacies - not just with this franchise but with the cultural behemoth that is the NFL - are unassailable.

The Walmarts will, and thus far, are, doing the right things to keep this franchise among the ranks of the league’s jewel franchises. A ugly win - on the east coast, at 11am, against a playoff contender led by a 1st ballot HOF’r - is a step in the right direction. It’s not always going to look like the (pre-super bowl) 2013 team.

Take a win in a game ALL of us penciled in as a loss in May when we saw the schedule and enjoy how this young team found a way to win an ugly game. Today was big for this team long term. Big.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I like how Tampa played today. It's easier to play well when you aren't given money from Wal-Mart to throw the game.

Would you just stop. Thats a ridiculous post.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What Joe Ellis did to this organization as a whole from 2009 until it was sold was unforgivable.

That said, I think the Walmarts have done a phenomenal job. They’re serious, they’re invested, they’re integrating themselves into some of the “big boy” clubs and committees of the NFL administration. The Broncos aren’t a sidepiece for their empire. I was skeptical but I’ve been impressed and will give credit where it’s due. 

Mike is going to the Hall Fame. Mr. B is in the Hall of Fame. Their legacies - not just with this franchise but with the cultural behemoth that is the NFL - are unassailable.

The Walmarts will, and thus far, are, doing the right things to keep this franchise among the ranks of the league’s jewel franchises. A ugly win - on the east coast, at 11am, against a playoff contender led by a 1st ballot HOF’r - is a step in the right direction. It’s not always going to look like the (pre-super bowl) 2013 team.

Take a win in a game ALL of us penciled in as a loss in May when we saw the schedule and enjoy how this young team found a way to win an ugly game. Today was big for this team long term. Big.

Finding fault with the Walmarts performance so far would be very hard to do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Okay, keep this in perspective. I'm a real Bo fan. That said, he's had 3 of the worst QB performances we've had here for a while. 

Lets hope he gets it turned around for the next two games. Fans can get ugly quick. We don't need great games, just average and we'll be fine.

• Like 2

This week we're going to read a lot of mocking of Bo Nix, and some of it is legit. The stats are horrendous; barely any completions beyond the LOS, Sutton having more receiving yards than Bo had passing yards (lol), etc. It wasn't good at all. 

... But ... He didn't LOSE us the game. No INTs, no fumbles, and yet again - zero sacks. How many rookie QBs in the history of the NFL have had zero sacks in two road games back to back within their first 5 games in the league? Field position isn't a sexy thing to talk about (unless you are Bill Belichick) but it was a huge factor in this game. We didn't lose silly yardage in chunks with sacks, or risk sack fumbles.

The Defense won this game - that is a fact. I just think we need to brush off / laugh with the criticism that will come, and be more judging of the games to come as opposed to this one.

• Like 6

If you didn't like Bo Nix the prospect (a lot of people didn't, particularly in the first round) then you're going to use the bad performances as confirmation bias. He was pretty awful, weather aside, and you can't expect to win games like that on a consistent basis. 

I personally would throw yesterdays game out the window and hope to get back on track with two upcoming divisional foes at home.

• Like 6