Week 5: VIKINGS (4-0) vs. Jets (2-2)

swede700

Can’t wait. I have a feeling the stadium is going to be absolutely rocking, and I think Vikings fans will outnumber Jets fans. It will be interesting to see how Flores tries to flummox Rodgers. Hopefully, the Vikings set the tone early again and done let off. 

• Like 1

@Old Guy writes: "I like the Jets secondary. I just wonder if Gardner is agile enough to hang with Jefferson given his height. I don't think the 49ers were at full strength when they play the Vikings. I think the Jets D might be the best they have faced."

is the bolded statement true, guys?

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

@Old Guy writes: "I like the Jets secondary. I just wonder if Gardner is agile enough to hang with Jefferson given his height. I don't think the 49ers were at full strength when they play the Vikings. I think the Jets D might be the best they have faced."

According to DVOA, absolutely not, both SF (#6) and Houston (#11) have better defenses.  SF was at full strength defensively, it was the offense where they were missing pieces...and really, the only significant piece they missed was McCaffrey.  The 49ers have gotten more injured since, as the injuries started late in the Vikings' game when the game was pretty much already settled.

FWIW, in DVOA rankings (thru Week 3), the Vikings have the #12 offense and #1 defense, while the Jets are #22 and #14 respectively. Their other opponents defensively were #18 (GB) and #22 (NYG). 

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

According to DVOA, absolutely not, both SF (#6) and Houston (#11) have better defenses.  SF was at full strength defensively, it was the offense where they were missing pieces...and really, the only significant piece they missed was McCaffrey.  The 49ers have gotten more injured since, as the injuries started late in the Vikings' game when the game was pretty much already settled.

FWIW, in DVOA rankings (thru Week 3), the Vikings have the #12 offense and #1 defense, while the Jets are #22 and #14 respectively. Their other opponents defensively were #18 (GB) and #22 (NYG). 

It's about match ups! The Jets match up better against your offense. Also, Bosa went into that game ailing, and I believe they lost Hargrave during the game as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

from what I remember, weren't Niners close to their full health on defense when Vikings faced ? If anything, it was Vikings offense that was not at full strength in that game...Addison did not play that game (also Hock)

16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

In what way do they match up better?

Better CBs and DBs in general. Their linebackers are really good and when you have a hobbled Bosa and Hargrave out, the pass rush is greatly compromised. Your line's weakness is the interior Q Williams won't be easily handled. 

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Better CBs and DBs in general. Their linebackers are really good and when you have a hobbled Bosa and Hargrave out, the pass rush is greatly compromised. Your line's weakness is the interior Q Williams won't be easily handled. 

I’m not afraid of any DB room with the WR talent the Vikings have. I agree that the IOL is a weakness, but I think you’re putting way too much stock in how banged up the 49ers were.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1