Week 6: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

They have been hit hard with injuries to the DL. As good as MacDonald is, he's having to go to battle with borderline rotational players. Tough, but their offense still can go off at any time.

This better be a 20-25 carry game for Mason. 

The 49ers have found a kicker to replace the injured Jake Moody. Per multiple reports, San Francisco has signed Matthew Wright.

Wright, 28, had a short stint with San Francisco’s practice squad early last year, though he did not appear in a game. He’s made 40-of-47 field goals and 35-of-37 extra points in his career, having kicked in regular-season games for the Steelers, Jaguars, Chiefs, and Panthers. Wright appeared in one game for Carolina in 2023, missing an attempt from over 50 yards.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/with-jake-moody-injured-49ers-to-sign-k-matthew-wright

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I will say, it’s hilarious reading social media and people clamouring for Saleh to come back…and I bet a lot of these same people wanted him fired in 2017/2018. Seriously, Saleh was enemy number 1 those 2 seasons on all the socials 

Saleh had a successful run as the defensive coordinator of the 49ers before being hired by the Jets in 2021, so he worked under 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan during that run. He also worked with Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans, Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel and Packers defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley during his time on the 49ers staff, so some might have wondered if he’d look for a new role right away.

Mike Silver of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Saleh does not plan on doing that, however. Per Silver, Saleh is planning to go on vacation with his family before preparing to interview for defensive coordinator jobs during the next hiring cycle.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-robert-saleh-does-not-plan-to-work-for-anyone-else-during-2024-season

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Saleh had a successful run as the defensive coordinator of the 49ers before being hired by the Jets in 2021, so he worked under 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan during that run. He also worked with Texans head coach DeMeco Ryans, Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel and Packers defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley during his time on the 49ers staff, so some might have wondered if he’d look for a new role right away.

Mike Silver of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Saleh does not plan on doing that, however. Per Silver, Saleh is planning to go on vacation with his family before preparing to interview for defensive coordinator jobs during the next hiring cycle.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-robert-saleh-does-not-plan-to-work-for-anyone-else-during-2024-season

Makes sense. He's definitely at the top of my list for DCs should Sorensen fail to improve as the season goes on. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Makes sense. He's definitely at the top of my list for DCs should Sorensen fail to improve as the season goes on. 

there are Viking fans saying if we lose Flores to a head coaching job next season (which i don't think will happen) that we could hire Saleh to be our DC.

there's a hint of poetic justice to that, seeing Saleh was fired after losing to the Vikings in London this last week.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

there are Viking fans saying if we lose Flores to a head coaching job next season (which i don't think will happen) that we could hire Saleh to be our DC.

there's a hint of poetic justice to that, seeing Saleh was fired after losing to the Vikings in London this last week.

It would be a bit of a fascinating change in philosophy, even though we think very highly of Saleh. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Forge said:

Several of these guys have held out. And they've all played poorly immediately following their extended contract negotiations.  If they are upset by people holding out, that's some hypocritical ****. So yeah, I'm probably not going to lay whatever is going on at the feet of people being upset about hold outs. At least not for the big wigs. Everyone knows this is a business and athletes seldom get involved in the business side of teammates money. Its generally considered a faux pas. 

But nobody is pointing fingers as far as I know, and there's no known bad blood as far as I am aware. They are just saying it's been weird. These are the quotes: 

In HS, when I was a sophomore, the varsity team had someone die at their kickoff BBQ 2 days before the season. I got called up to varsity at the end of my sophomore year for the varsity playoffs, and I remember the coach saying "Between the kid dying at our BBQ, a few key injuries, and some flukey games, it has been a weird year. With that being said we are in the semis and can win the whole f*cking thing if we focus this week and have a good week of practice." 

Dont forget one of our guys got shot. They thought he was going to die. It put things in perspective, football is important, but it is not life and death. This team has some killers on it. I was kinda worried we would have lost our edge, but then they straight murdered the jets week 1 and I thought the fears were unwarranted. Well, obviously the "we gotta learn to finish games" comments are starting to show that those fears had teeth. Killers dont hesitate to finish games. 

While we are on the subject. Deebo looks really slow this year. If the calf is a problem, then they need to shut him down for a few weeks. He should be our RZ weapon right now and he just isnt because he cant run properly. Like a jet sweep on the goal line to deebo should be easy money but it just isnt. Need that to change and a short week is not the time to mess around with a calf injury. 

• Like 1

I think the 49ers owe Steve Wilks a giant apology. 

Nick Bosa acts like he's the coach of the defense and that's starting to annoy me. 

If i didn't know any better i'd say this guy is developing an Aaron Rodgers complex.

not to mention his weakness in setting the edge. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

A little bit of discourse about the 49ers offense between Robert Mays and Diante Lee on the Athletic football show. 

Questions about their personnel usage and proliferation of 3 wide receiver sets. Diante wants to see heavier personnel + more play action concepts because they need to marry the run / pass games. They've been running at a league low rate out of 11 personnel so he wants to see Mason more involved when they are in 3 receiver sets. Wonders if it's a purdy comfort thing, but I don't buy that given we've gone a season + utilizing heavier personnel with Purdy. 

Mays notes that Aiyuk has been pressed at an insanely high rate, but doesn't give the specific number. @J-ALL-DAY has mentioned the heavier press before. 

• Like 3

Tyrone Tracy Jr. gashed the Seahawks run D on Sunday. Hopefully the 49ers can have a similar output.

As for Saleh, sucks he got fired. At the same time I think it's a good thing he's out of that organization with a huge payday. The Jets were hideous before he was there, and will be after. Woody Johnson doesn't know how to run a football team. And Aaron Rodgers probably had a say in Saleh leaving. But of course his buddy Hackett still has a job. Jets are a mess. Would love to have Saleh come in as a consultant this season, but he's probably taking a long break before looking at prospects for 2025. For what it's worth Shanahan did send him a text.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

A little bit of discourse about the 49ers offense between Robert Mays and Diante Lee on the Athletic football show. 

Questions about their personnel usage and proliferation of 3 wide receiver sets. Diante wants to see heavier personnel + more play action concepts because they need to marry the run / pass games. They've been running at a league low rate out of 11 personnel so he wants to see Mason more involved when they are in 3 receiver sets. Wonders if it's a purdy comfort thing, but I don't buy that given we've gone a season + utilizing heavier personnel with Purdy. 

Mays notes that Aiyuk has been pressed at an insanely high rate, but doesn't give the specific number. @J-ALL-DAY has mentioned the heavier press before. 

Yeah, the last few weeks it seems like teams know when we are going to run and when we are going to pass. I would like to see more counters, more traps, more reverses. We seem to get bogged down when defenses have good gap discipline. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Running out of 11 personnel has to happen at some point so we can utilize Jennings more and play him more snaps.

Yeah, Aiyuk is getting pressed with a safety shading his direction quite a bit. If he gets a free release and with his top level route running, there is very little chance the defense can stop him. Aiyuk's balance was flat out bad on some presses in the earlier weeks and he was stumbling all over the place. Much better vs the Cardinals. 

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Running out of 11 personnel has to happen at some point so we can utilize Jennings more and play him more snaps.

Yeah, Aiyuk is getting pressed with a safety shading his direction quite a bit. If he gets a free release and with his top level route running, there is very little chance the defense can stop him. Aiyuk's balance was flat out bad on some presses in the earlier weeks and he was stumbling all over the place. Much better vs the Cardinals. 

Yeah, Aiyuk missed a couple of rubs (a lack of preseason reps will do that to you), but he was separating better and latching on to the passes that came his way with authority. I think he'll be himself shortly. I think Trent will get there, too. He hasn't been quite himself and was probably the dude that whiffed the block on the Mason fumble. I don't think that Mason is going to suddenly learn how to navigate gap scheme better. Or Guerendo becoming better at...anything. So that's going to be an issue when we index that way to punish other teams. If CMC doesn't come back we're going to struggle with rushing efficiency in some games. We're still seeing some of the issues with Deebo in games for my eye. He's an amazing weapon when himself, but he looked unfit. Getting beat by linebackers in man. Just not finishing some routes with authority. And his effort comes and goes, but it wasn't there today. Deebo is an awesome, unusual weapon. Not fit Deebo tends to clog things up more than he helps, imo. Which is true for most players, but Deebo also gets dinged up more than most players.

55 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, Aiyuk missed a couple of rubs (a lack of preseason reps will do that to you), but he was separating better and latching on to the passes that came his way with authority. I think he'll be himself shortly. I think Trent will get there, too. He hasn't been quite himself and was probably the dude that whiffed the block on the Mason fumble. I don't think that Mason is going to suddenly learn how to navigate gap scheme better. Or Guerendo becoming better at...anything. So that's going to be an issue when we index that way to punish other teams. If CMC doesn't come back we're going to struggle with rushing efficiency in some games. We're still seeing some of the issues with Deebo in games for my eye. He's an amazing weapon when himself, but he looked unfit. Getting beat by linebackers in man. Just not finishing some routes with authority. And his effort comes and goes, but it wasn't there today. Deebo is an awesome, unusual weapon. Not fit Deebo tends to clog things up more than he helps, imo. Which is true for most players, but Deebo also gets dinged up more than most players.

Deebo looked good vs the Vikings but has been used sparingly after returning from the calf injury. I don't imagine him being 100% this soon against the Seahawks on a short week but he should start getting back to from against the Chiefs and definitely after the bye week.

Flores was the first coach to show the blueprint in slowing Aiyuk down last season and more and more teams started doing it this year. You just have to press him and give the corner help and trust your other corners holding up against our other receivers. Aiyuk though will find ways to win but he needs consistent targets. There is no reason he should not be getting 10 or so targets every single game, even if we don't throw the ball as much as other heavy pass teams. 

Trent is still really good despite having a miss here and there. The OL has held up relatively well, that's not the issue. What needs to happen is Kyle implementing more PA, even if teams are going to drop 7 or 8, and more 11 personnel. Use the formation that suits the current talent the best. I mean if Purdy went to Mason more in the passing game, you can get away with not using as much 11 personnel but since Purdy does not go to Mason, it makes it a bit tough. 

This is a game where Mason gets 20+ carries Deebo takes Guerendo's carries. Deebo is going to have a chance to break a few with the amount of touches he will be getting. 

This is as much of a must win game as you can have this early in the season. You just cannot go 0-3 in the division and 0-4 in the conference. 

• Like 1