The good, the bad, the ugly vs Steelers

NYRaider

15 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Are we really saying the Raiders should have added more depth to a receiving group that had Adams, Meyers, Tucker, Mayer and Bowers? Who could have predicted that Adams would bail, Meyers would get injured and that Mayer would have mental health issues? Exactly zero front offices would have poured more resources into those spots. 

As for Jacobs, what exactly has he done in GB? He’s basically a backup for them getting very few carries. Whose to say he’d actually do something for this team. 

This isn’t a defense for the ineptitude of the coaching staff or front office. I’d love to see them replaced. 

Jacobs is third in rushing attempts? 
5th in yards..

that’s not few carries.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Are we really saying the Raiders should have added more depth to a receiving group that had Adams, Meyers, Tucker, Mayer and Bowers? Who could have predicted that Adams would bail, Meyers would get injured and that Mayer would have mental health issues? Exactly zero front offices would have poured more resources into those spots. 

As for Jacobs, what exactly has he done in GB? He’s basically a backup for them getting very few carries. Whose to say he’d actually do something for this team. 

This isn’t a defense for the ineptitude of the coaching staff or front office. I’d love to see them replaced. 

I've said since the off-season that I thought they needed to add another capable WR because if Adams were to go down it quickly became one of the worst units in the league. Jakobi is obviously good but Tucker was kind of a non factor last year and we had literally nothing after him. I know that we signed Gallup who retired and Guyton who didn't make the team, but just wish we would've hit on better signings. JuJu would've been cool and he played for AP in HS. 

Jacobs is currently 4th in the league in rushing yards (Packers are 3rd as a team) and is on pace for 1,600 total yards. (1,300 rushing / 300 receiving) He would've taken a ton of pressure off of Minshew/AOC. 

• Like 1

I figured out what his angle is: he is unrealistically optimistic making excuses and refuses to acknowledge how bad a coach is until he thinks the coach is about to get fired and then he turns on whoever the guy is. Did the same exact thing with Josh McDaniels. 

Edited by Jeremy408

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I figured out what his angle is: he is unrealistically optimistic making excuses and refuses to acknowledge how bad a coach is until he thinks the coach is about to get fired and then he turns on whoever the guy is. Did the same exact thing with Josh McDaniels. 

Basically deflects all blame from AP

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-free-agents-best-available-players/amp/#rb

its people available 

cant even really evacuate aoc cause he has no running game or anyone to throw to

None of those people are going to make any sort of a difference. I’d rather them use the extra $ to take on Adams cap hit to get the best trade haul possible than spend it on a has been off the street. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-free-agents-best-available-players/amp/#rb

its people available 

cant even really evacuate aoc cause he has no running game or anyone to throw to

Doubt anyone on that list is even interested in signing here as we're on the verge of tanking. But even the best names on that list are meh and likely wouldn't move the needle as a midseason acquisition. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Telesco is awful. He’s too scared to make a move. He’s supposedly an experienced GM too

Mark Davis passed on Dobbs for Telesco because he interviewed well. Telesco is basically doing the same thing he did with LA/SD

I think Mark gave him a ton of assurance with his job security and that's why they went ultra conservative with their moves after they realized they weren't going to acquire a QB upgrade. 

I can't remember who reported it but I vividly remember hearing that Telesco got the job because Mark loved his plan at QB. But ultimately I think it came down to the fact that Mark didn't want a first time GM with a first time HC. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think Mark gave him a ton of assurance with his job security and that's why they went ultra conservative with their moves after they realized they weren't going to acquire a QB upgrade. 

I can't remember who reported it but I vividly remember hearing that Telesco got the job because Mark loved his plan at QB. But ultimately I think it came down to the fact that Mark didn't want a first time GM with a first time HC. 

WTF was Telesco's "plan"? Sit and hope the right guy just happens to fall to you? Drafting Herbert was a no-brainer he simply lucked into. 

As soon as Burrow and Tua left the board, the decision was automatic. 

Telesco got dumb levels of lucky Washington didn't throw the towel in on Haskins as a clear bust just a bit sooner and Detroit decided to go one more round with Stafford and not draft a successor. He was incredibly lucky he wasn't caught with his pants down and no QB with the Chargers. They weren't going to be able to out-tank Jacksonville for Lawrence, who wouldn't have saved Telesco's job, and he would've been backed into Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or Justin Fields. He got so freaking lucky Herbert fell into his lap, and that's why I refuse to give him credit for it. The way people defend him here, you'd think the Chargers were coming off a decade of dominance. They've just been ever so slightly less booty than we've been, and most of that is due to Herbert, who Telesco got stupid lucky to have fall into his lap. 

Nobody is accusing Mark of being smart, but if he though Tommy Tiddlewinks had any real "plan" at QB, he's even dumber than previously accepted around here.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

WTF was Telesco's "plan"? Sit and hope the right guy just happens to fall to you? Drafting Herbert was a no-brainer he simply lucked into. 

As soon as Burrow and Tua left the board, the decision was automatic. 

Telesco got dumb levels of lucky Washington didn't throw the towel in on Haskins as a clear bust just a bit sooner and Detroit decided to go one more round with Stafford and not draft a successor. He was incredibly lucky he wasn't caught with his pants down and no QB with the Chargers. They weren't going to be able to out-tank Jacksonville for Lawrence, who wouldn't have saved Telesco's job, and he would've been backed into Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or Justin Fields. He got so freaking lucky Herbert fell into his lap, and that's why I refuse to give him credit for it. The way people defend him here, you'd think the Chargers were coming off a decade of dominance. They've just been ever so slightly less booty than we've been, and most of that is due to Herbert, who Telesco got stupid lucky to have fall into his lap. 

Nobody is accusing Mark of being smart, but if he though Tommy Tiddlewinks had any real "plan" at QB, he's even dumber than previously accepted around here.  

Sign the GOAT, Gardner Minshew to a multi year contract as soon as free agency opened. 

I think the plan was: A.) Trade up for Jayden Daniels or B.) Stay at #13 and draft Michael Penix. 

Telesco took over a team that already had a top 10 franchise QB in Phillip Rivers. And then was able to immediately move on to another top 10 franchise QB in Justin Herbert who he signed Tyrod Taylor to start over. Even with a top 10 franchise QB to build around they only won 2 playoff games in the 11 years he was there.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Sign the GOAT, Gardner Minshew to a multi year contract as soon as free agency opened. 

I think the plan was: A.) Trade up for Jayden Daniels or B.) Stay at #13 and draft Michael Penix. 

Telesco took over a team that already had a top 10 franchise QB in Phillip Rivers. And then was able to immediately move on to another top 10 franchise QB in Justin Herbert who he signed Tyrod Taylor to start over. Even with a top 10 franchise QB to build around they only won 2 playoff games in the 11 years he was there.

Yep. Which is a plan I'd expect from an armchair QB with the brain capacity of a sponge, not an NFL GM. 

He thought another Herbert would fall into his lap and got caught this time with his pants down. 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yep. Which is a plan I'd expect from an armchair QB with the brain capacity of a sponge, not an NFL GM. 

He thought another Herbert would fall into his lap and got caught this time with his pants down. 

IIRC he has also publicly admitted that they were targeting Tua, not Herbert, lol. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

IIRC he has also publicly admitted that they were targeting Tua, not Herbert, lol. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-gm-tom-telesco-says-l-a-wouldve-drafted-tua-tagovailoa-if-dolphins-took-justin-herbert/amp/

Yep. Absolutely. Imagine what Lynn and Staley would've done to thar poor kid. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

They actually had a super nice set up for a young QB with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Ekeler, and Hunter Henry. 

Which is another thing that sucks for us, had we pulled the trigger on a trade for Stroud we were in prime position to roll with a rookie starter. Hell even this year could've been a good situation if we would've brought JJ back. But next year we're looking at a mediocre OL, diminishing WR group, and zero talent at RB.

Even if we take someone at the top of the draft we still might roll AOC or Minshew out there as the starter to avoid completely destroying the rookies confidence.

Edited by NYRaider

4 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Exactly, some of these comments are unfathomable 😁 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:
9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

They actually had a super nice set up for a young QB with Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Ekeler, and Hunter Henry.

The main problem with the Chargers was always, the coaching.
Every offseason there was some buzz that the Chargers built together a good roster, and that they could finally put it all together and then came again the huge letdown.

Now with Harbaugh the Chargers look like a contender - and it's not like that they have a complete new roster.

However, although I don't know who had the final say in LA regarding the HC position, I don't have a good feeling with Telesco picking a HC if we fire AP.
(I think AP gets a second season anyway - without Getsy)

• Like 1