Trade Deadline Discussion

Packerraymond

The pass rush thing isn't isolated.

The basic question is less "can you get pressure without blitzing"  and more "when you don't blitz, can you cover long enough for one of your rushers to affect the QB."  Since it's unreasonable to expect immediate pressure constantly, and QB's are just going to throw when they see an open receiver.  So it's obvious the pass rush became concerning when Jaire was out.

Just now, vegas492 said:

LOL.  No.  I'm not "down" on Gary.  Guys over rate him all the time.  He was a fine pick.  He's worked his tail off.  He earned that second deal.  But he's not elite.  I don't expect him to be elite, because that is not who he is.  He is great at being Rashan Gary.

You box scout really well, though, so yah got that going for yah.

Me?  I'm good with the rush and EDGE guys.  Sacks will come.  4-2 is nice.  Enjoy it.  

I'm not into moral victories. We have the LOWEST rush win rate in the league. It's not a figment of my imagination. Gary is getting stoned at the LOS by JAGs. LVN is clueless and Preston has lost a step and it's obvious. 

Box scout my ***! Are you not watching the games? Did Sam Darnold even get hit once? 

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The pass rush thing isn't isolated.

The basic question is less "can you get pressure without blitzing"  and more "when you don't blitz, can you cover long enough for one of your rushers to affect the QB."  Since it's unreasonable to expect immediate pressure constantly, and QB's are just going to throw when they see an open receiver.  So it's obvious the pass rush became concerning when Jaire was out.

The pass rush was a concern before Jaire went out. It has been non-existent all year, sans one game. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not into moral victories. We have the LOWEST rush win rate in the league. It's not a figment of my imagination. Gary is getting stoned at the LOS by JAGs. LVN is clueless and Preston has lost a step and it's obvious. 

Box scout my ***! Are you not watching the games? Did Sam Darnold even get hit once? 

Typical.

Can't be happy in the moment, gotta find something to complain about.  This aint Madden.  Every team has warts.  Every team has an off day, or gets "had" by an opposing coordinator.

Just so happens that when we've wanted to rush, we've gotten a record amount of sacks.  When we haven't wanted to rush, we've contained joysticks playing QB.

But carry on.  It is entertaining.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

The pass rush was a concern before Jaire went out. It has been non-existent all year, sans one game. 

Context matters.  Opposing QB.  down/distance/score.  Yah know.  Little things like that.

You should feel good about our coverage and contain ability.  You should be thrilled about Evan freakin Williams taking away the read option.  Heck, they ran it once, it was stuffed once and heard from again no more.

Gave them no deep shots.  They had to work over a TE on underneath stuff and fit it in between zones to get yardage, meaning they earned everything.

I thought it was a great game plan by Haff that was executed to near perfection.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Context matters.  Opposing QB.  down/distance/score.  Yah know.  Little things like that.

You should feel good about our coverage and contain ability.  You should be thrilled about Evan freakin Williams taking away the read option.  Heck, they ran it once, it was stuffed once and heard from again no more.

Gave them no deep shots.  They had to work over a TE on underneath stuff and fit it in between zones to get yardage, meaning they earned everything.

I thought it was a great game plan by Haff that was executed to near perfection.

You are talking about one game. I'm talking about 6 games with very little pressure on the QB, sans one game. 

I want to win a Supe Bowl, not get in the playoffs and win a game. 

So, when you refer to context, look in the mirror my friend! 

Edited by Old Guy

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Consider that this might be a sample size issue, since you want to rush extremely mobile QBs (Hurts, Richardson, Murray) more to contain them than to pressure them, which is fully half of the games they've played.  The only truly concerning result about "they can't really get pressure"  was the Vikings game but the vibes were all kinds of wrong on that day.

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You are talking about one game. I'm talking about 6 games with very little pressure on the QB, sans one game. 

I want to win a Supe Bowl, not get in the playoffs and win a game. 

So, when you refer to context, look in the mirror my friend! 

In the one game vs a pocket QB with Jaire, they got after it though. Without him the coverage wasn't good enough for the rush to get home. Also Wyatt being out is a huge hit to the interior pass rush. They pushed both Darnold and Stafford off their spot well enough, but they were able to get rid of it fast enough. 

Take heart in the fact that running QB which historically have killed GB have been bottled up.

• Like 1

The defense is a work in progress, and I believe we have been seeing improvements. The lack of a rush at time could be frustrating, but they are getting off the field, and I'm pretty sure we are one turn over away from matching the total amount of last season. which we will surpass next week in week 7! So we are making stops, and getting the ball back into Love's hand without giving up points. That's pretty good to me. A lot of season left for these guys to progress and hopefully improve. There's a lot to be happy about with this defense compared to what we have had in the past. 

• Like 1

Gary/Preston/LVN are not impressive and have not been playmakers to date.

Enagbare/Wyatt/Brooks are picking up that slack though, and Kenny Clark has come on the last 2 games.

If we get Wyatt back healthy I think that gives us 4 players on the DL to feel really good about, even if some of them are part time players.

22 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Gary/Preston/LVN are not impressive and have not been playmakers to date.

Enagbare/Wyatt/Brooks are picking up that slack though, and Kenny Clark has come on the last 2 games.

If we get Wyatt back healthy I think that gives us 4 players on the DL to feel really good about, even if some of them are part time players.

Agree that the "vets" on the DL aren't playing up to snuff for whatever reason(s).  The others are picking up the slack but more is needed.  Packers are again the youngest team in the NFL..trading away a higher pick to upgrade/strengthen the DL for upcoming seasons is not an unreasonable thought.  Another DL player that produces would be welcome.