DeShone Kizer: can he turn it around?

Apparition

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Unlike Goff last year, with Gordon back, Coleman healthy and Njoku coming around Kizer has had it pretty good in all three categories. It hasn't led to improvement on his part though which is alarming. Hue doesn't do him any favors but eventually he would be asked to win a game and he loses games doing that. I think he is at 27 turnovers.

Joe Thomas was out at the midway point so he never had a healthy combination of Cleveland's top talent. 

1 hour ago, Crickett said:

Deshone Kizer was going to be a boom or bust player.  He wasn't ready day one and needed some time to develop into an NFL quarterback.  As much as you often see "Let's put him in and see what we've got", that's a great way to ruin a young quarterback prospect. The Browns had the scenario set up.  They had Brock Osweiler there to take the brunt of the heat and they had Cody Kessler as the backup.  Kizer should never have seen the field until the earliest week thirteen and even then with the understanding that he wasn't expected to win and he was basically going to be playing with the training wheels still on. That the goal was to just get some experience against NFL defenses. 

Instead the Browns took a quarterback who's own college coach said wasn't ready and they started him day one.   They put everything on the shoulders of a 21 year old kid. 

No, Deshone Kizer can not bounce back.  The Browns have set him on a course for failure and like every other quarterback they've drafted since they returned to the NFL, there is no going back.  Maybe if they give him to the Giants or Jaguars, after years of intense psychological therapy, maybe he can be a decent backup (it's a David Carr joke in case no one understood the reference).  But otherwise, his days of meaningfully contributing to whatever team he is on is done, and it is 1000% the fault of the Cleveland Browns organization. 

Thats not true. In a normal franchise, yes. But this is the Browns who just came off of getting killed for not taking Wentz/Goff/Watson/Trubisky.

In Cleveland, there is no 'wait till next season' because we are going to tank with Brock Osweiler so we can groom Kizer and waste yet another season of these fans patience by not having a starting QB. That would be even more disastrous if Kizer sat for a year, passed on Darnold/Rosen and then next season Kizer still sucked.

The Browns need a guy who can come in and is NFL ready right now, not a project that needs to be groomed especially when sitting a QB for a season has zero consistent evidence of actually working out. Each year wasted trying to accomplish that is another year the Browns lose fans, lose money and lose potentially their franchise.

My strategy is keep taking QBs at the top of the draft until one proves he can come in from day 1 and have that Deshaun Watson/Dak Prescott effect and you know he is going to be your franchise from Day 1.

13 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Joe Thomas was out at the midway point so he never had a healthy combination of Cleveland's top talent. 

Yea man but at the same time (from somebody who watches all browns games) Kizer just simply hasnt progressed. At all. He is still super inaccurate, misses easy throws, throws into double coverage, leads the NFL in turnovers and cant take the easy passes. There has been 0 progression of him getting better at any of these things in 15 games played.

There was a breakdown I saw on Twitter of game film that showed how many wide open WRs there are during a game that he simply doesnt even see. Like Duke Johnson standing wide open out of the backfield for 20+ yards but he throws into double coverage down field. Or when Corey Coleman is streaking wide open down the sideline but he throws into coverage over the middle to Njoku for an incompletion. 

In the Jacksonville game alone. Josh Gordon SHOULD have had 150+ yards and 2TDs if he could just hit a open WR downfield. Gordon was beating their secondary every play and had 2-3 steps on every defender down field and Kizer would overthrow him by 5-10 yards. Its staggering how many plays he leaves on the field because of his inability to just hit open WRs.

Not sure why the Browns continue to start DeShone Kizer. He has been awful. I understand it's tough being QB of the Browns, but him, along with Kessler and Hogan, are not the future at QB for the Browns. Honestly, the Browns QB situation and their history at QB is so bad, it's actually worth entertaining the idea of drafting a QB at 1st and 4th, just to MAKE SURE that they get a solid QB. Let's say they draft Rosen and Jackson, then they can let the two battle it out and preseason and start the one who's more NFL ready. I know it'd seem like wasting a pick, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea to entertain. The Browns need to get a solid QB once and for all. Kizer is not the answer, it was a failed experiment, as shown by his numbers. Could he be a decent QB someday? Maybe. But not in the Browns organization, and for sure not right now. 

3 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Not sure why the Browns continue to start DeShone Kizer. He has been awful. I understand it's tough being QB of the Browns, but him, along with Kessler and Hogan, are not the future at QB for the Browns. Honestly, the Browns QB situation and their history at QB is so bad, it's actually worth entertaining the idea of drafting a QB at 1st and 4th, just to MAKE SURE that they get a solid QB. Let's say they draft Rosen and Jackson, then they can let the two battle it out and preseason and start the one who's more NFL ready. I know it'd seem like wasting a pick, but it wouldn't be a terrible idea to entertain. The Browns need to get a solid QB once and for all. Kizer is not the answer, it was a failed experiment, as shown by his numbers. Could he be a decent QB someday? Maybe. But not in the Browns organization, and for sure not right now. 

I would much rather then just sign a competent veteran like Alex Smith and draft Darnold. Let Smith play 1-2 years to establish a base of consistency at the position and then let Darnold run the show after that.

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats not true. In a normal franchise, yes. But this is the Browns who just came off of getting killed for not taking Wentz/Goff/Watson/Trubisky.

In Cleveland, there is no 'wait till next season' because we are going to tank with Brock Osweiler so we can groom Kizer and waste yet another season of these fans patience by not having a starting QB. That would be even more disastrous if Kizer sat for a year, passed on Darnold/Rosen and then next season Kizer still sucked.

The Browns need a guy who can come in and is NFL ready right now, not a project that needs to be groomed especially when sitting a QB for a season has zero consistent evidence of actually working out. Each year wasted trying to accomplish that is another year the Browns lose fans, lose money and lose potentially their franchise.

My strategy is keep taking QBs at the top of the draft until one proves he can come in from day 1 and have that Deshaun Watson/Dak Prescott effect and you know he is going to be your franchise from Day 1.

I fully agree, you just keep drafting QB with your first pick till you get it right, it is called the 'Golden Rule' of drafting, but I do not think you can expect miracles in his rookie season. You have to give a high drafted QB at least 2 seasons to see whether he has it or not.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

I fully agree, you just keep drafting QB with your first pick till you get it right, it is called the 'Golden Rule' of drafting, but I do not think you can expect miracles in his rookie season. You have to give a high drafted QB at least 2 seasons to see whether he has it or not.

I get that but unfortunatly the Browns are not in any position to play the slow approach with how things are going. They need to catch lightning in a bottle with a guy who can start from day 1 or at bare minimum bring in a solid veteran to play while the young guys learn. We have the blind leading the blind in the QB room right now with Kizer, Hogan and Kessler.

Getting rid of McCown was a big mistake.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I would much rather then just sign a competent veteran like Alex Smith and draft Darnold. Let Smith play 1-2 years to establish a base of consistency at the position and then let Darnold run the show after that.

That's also a solid option, then you can use the other top pick on a D-Back to help out that pass defense of yours. The problem (no offense) is going to be luring a guy like Alex Smith or a seasoned veteran to play in Cleveland. 

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

So you think the Browns should keep ruining quarterbacks until they find one who is unruinable.... in order to avoid tanking.  That's a bold strategy cotton, let's see how it works out for you. 

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Not very likely to happen, a top picked QB must start by his 7-9th game to accelerate his development. All you bring in, is a veteran backup to assist him in developing, a backup who is knowledgable, but simply lacks the overall talent to ever be a franchise QB. This type can teach a rookie QB a lot of the complexities of the position.

IMO, if Darnold is our selection, he will likely start from game 1 and by season 2, if he has the ability, he will be a solid NFL QB and on his way to stardom. 

2 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

That's also a solid option, then you can use the other top pick on a D-Back to help out that pass defense of yours. The problem (no offense) is going to be luring a guy like Alex Smith or a seasoned veteran to play in Cleveland. 

Right, my dream offseason is to sign Alex Smith and draft Sam Darnold #1 and Mincah Fitzpatrick #4. 

I would love love love to see what a solid/good QB could do with Duke Johnson, Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon and David Njoku. Those are all exploooosive playmakers.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I get that but unfortunatly the Browns are not in any position to play the slow approach with how things are going. They need to catch lightning in a bottle with a guy who can start from day 1 or at bare minimum bring in a solid veteran to play while the young guys learn. We have the blind leading the blind in the QB room right now with Kizer, Hogan and Kessler.

Getting rid of McCown was a big mistake.

It is not the slow approach, it is the sure way to success and we will simply have to bit the bullet in his rookie saeason whether we like it or not!!!

1 minute ago, Iamcanadian said:

Not very likely to happen, a top picked QB must start by his 7-9th game to accelerate his development. All you bring in, is a veteran backup to assist him in developing, a backup who is knowledgable, but simply lacks the overall talent to ever be a franchise QB. This type can teach a rookie QB a lot of the complexities of the position.

IMO, if Darnold is our selection, he will likely start from game 1 and by season 2, if he has the ability, he will be a solid NFL QB and on his way to stardom. 

Thats not a bad option either, but both ways the Browns need to get a veteran QB into this locker room to either start for a season or help with whoever is taken. Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick could be two of those options

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

It is not the slow approach, it is the sure way to success and we will simply have to bit the bullet in his rookie saeason whether we like it or not!!!

Its the slow approach lol Die hard fans are willing to accept it eventhough its not garaunteed at all to actually yield better results but good luck selling another 'wait and see' building year to the other 80% of this fanbase when there are 7,000 people in attendance on gamedays watching a guy sit the bench and develop.

The Browns have taken that 'just wait and see' approach for 2 years and had to sell the fans on it. 2 years later they are still the worst team in the history of football. There is no more waiting and seeing when you have teams like the Rams, Cowboys, Texans and Eagles turning it all around within 1 year. It has to be now, not next year.

Archived