DeShone Kizer: can he turn it around?

Apparition

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Right, my dream offseason is to sign Alex Smith and draft Sam Darnold #1 and Mincah Fitzpatrick #4. 

I would love love love to see what a solid/good QB could do with Duke Johnson, Corey Coleman, Josh Gordon and David Njoku. Those are all exploooosive playmakers.

While I agree that Mincah is a possible great pick, I still believe you draft offense, offense and more offense in the 2018 draft, setting up the potential for a top offense going forward and worry about the defense in the 2019 draft.

I do not want to depend on Gordon to stay the course, that is what losing franchises do and I do not believe Johnson is good enough to carry a running attack. I would draft Barkley at #4 if he is as good as scouts are predicting he can be and add a WR in round 2 and look for a possible replacement for Thomas quite high, plus an extra WR and another OLman.

Then if Darnold is as good as I expect him to become, all the offensive pieces are in place for a top NFL offense, capable of winning a SB.

With the 2019 draft committed  to defense and Garrett already on board, you can easily become a consistent threat to win a SB every year.

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats not a bad option either, but both ways the Browns need to get a veteran QB into this locker room to either start for a season or help with whoever is taken. Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick could be two of those options

2 excellent options IMO!!!

40 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Kizer is missing the 2 biggest things that make a QB good. Accuracy and decision making. I dont know if those are traits that a QB can just learn overnight and become good at especially when he was known for being a inaccurate passer in college. He makes rookie mistakes, but the problem is that after week 8, he kept on making rookie mistakes and showed little progression that he is learning defenses, displaying better decision making and becoming a more efficient passer.

16 weeks in he is the same QB he was in preseason which is the same QB he was in college--and that is telling.

I was waiting for someone to bring up the accuracy issue. I think it's a major flaw that isn't easily corrected. Ball placement is huge in the NFL, you basically don't see sustained success without it. When coupled with poor decision making and something I call processing power - the ability to see things and react/process them quickly, it's not a good blueprint for success. 

He was over drafted by about 2 rounds.

That doesn't mean he is the player he will end up being. He could very well turn it around because he is very young, but it doesn't look likely enough to hope for anything more than what he is now, which is flawed 

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its the slow approach lol Die hard fans are willing to accept it eventhough its not garaunteed at all to actually yield better results but good luck selling another 'wait and see' building year to the other 80% of this fanbase when there are 7,000 people in attendance on gamedays watching a guy sit the bench and develop.

The Browns have taken that 'just wait and see' approach for 2 years and had to sell the fans on it. 2 years later they are still the worst team in the history of football. There is no more waiting and seeing when you have teams like the Rams, Cowboys, Texans and Eagles turning it all around within 1 year. It has to be now, not next year.

Unfortunately, it is a process that you cannot rush if you want to get to the promised land. We will just have to accept that it is the only way that consistent success can be guaranteed and pray, Haslam does not screw it up.

If you go for instant success of about 5 or 6 wins, you will end up stuck with say Smith on a long term contract, eating up your salary cap, because he will only sign for a 4 or 5 year contract at big dollars.

Nobody wants the Browns to succeed more than me, but we cannot rush the process and win a few games immediately, but loser the war down the line.

19 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Every Rams fan I'm sure :)

Well, I mean if you want to "challenge" me on whether my post was hindsight or if I was talking the talk last season and off season I can go find some posts. But not without us settling what you will owe me if (when) I manage to prove you wrong on the hindsight thing. Maybe you rock a sig of my choosing for a while? If I cant produce anything (so long as we can still search the posts on the old boards) I will rock a sig of your choosing. 

Now, I am not going to go so far as to say every Rams fan was sold of Goff. But I can say plenty of Rams fans had reason to hope because they were looking at the play on the field and not the stat column. It also helps to be an older football fan who is used to QB transitions being a process. I am not an impatient fan. I am not an unrealistic fan. I dont expect miracles in a QBs rookie season. I look for the foundation. What can be built on with some coaching and the right pieces. And I saw plenty that kept me from jumping off the ledge at the end of the season.

That isnt to say I thought he was the next big thing or anything. You dont know what you have after 8 games in that sort of "worst case scenario." But I saw potential. Certainly enough for me to say (and suggest to other people), "Forget the numbers. The numbers were a product of the situation. He might just be a good QB. I saw plenty that I liked. Be patient."

21 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

And a terrible line.
And terrible receivers. 
And no running game.

are you referring to Goff here?

If Kizer, he has the most expensive line blocking for him, and even when Thomas went out, the line has been fine. The running game seems like it's missing only because Hue doesn't run the ball. I think we are top 5 or so in YPA and dead last in attempts. The WR's haven't been good at all and need upgraded but anyone who has watched him play can see that Kizer would still be a bum if he had legit WR's. Picture Weeden with Hopkins. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I don't think Kizer will turn it around if he's on the Browns. I think they have to take a QB first overall. The years of taking second rate QBs outside the top ten needs to stop, just hasn't worked out.

Agreed. Its pitiful how we keep trying to find a franchise QB without having to pay a franchise QB price. Keep on trying to find the next Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr late in the 1st or 2nd rounds instead of just taking a QB in the top 5 or God forbid, sell the farm like every other team does for the #1 or #2 pick to get 'your guy'

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, OleXmad said:

After what we saw with Jared Goff last year you shouldn't write off any rookie QB. Like so many people (including myself) did. 

I think with another year in Hue Jackson's offense and maybe a massive injection of talent he could turn it around, but that would mean the browns wouldn't draft a QB no.1 overall and that seems unlikely right now. 

Then again Hue Jackson is likely to get fired when he shouldn't be and that's gonna screw up Kizer's development and with a new GM there's a pretty good chance they'll draft a QB anyway.

Jared Goff's rookie year: 7 starts - 1080 YDS, 5 TD, 7 INT @ 54% comp. - ridiculed and written off by fans and media.

DeShone Kizer's rookie year: 14 starts - 2580 YDS, 9 TD, 21 INT @ 53% comp. - coddled and excused by fans and media.

It's comical you would even try to compare the two, and that's not even the most ridiculous part of your post; Hue Jackson is 1-30 as the Brown's head coach, staring down the barrel of a winless season, and you don't think he should be fired?  I don't know how you can bring back Hue and throw Kizer back out there and expect the Cleveland fans to give a damn about their team.

and just in case everyone forgot:  Cody Kessler's rookie year: 8 starts - 1380 YDS, 6 TD, 2 INT @ 65% comp....  please explain to me why he was kept on the bench all season  ...I find it extremely hard to believe that Kessler couldn't have won at least a few games.  Why has Kessler been written off?

I don't believe he will ever be a franchise QB, but he isn't going to go JaMarcus Russell and drop out of the league suddenly. He never should have been starting his rookie year to begin with, he needed a lot of refinement and had no chance of that being hammered out this year.

2 hours ago, frenchie said:

Jared Goff's rookie year: 7 starts - 1080 YDS, 5 TD, 7 INT @ 54% comp. - ridiculed and written off by fans and media.

DeShone Kizer's rookie year: 14 starts - 2580 YDS, 9 TD, 21 INT @ 53% comp. - coddled and excused by fans and media.

It's comical you would even try to compare the two, and that's not even the most ridiculous part of your post; Hue Jackson is 1-30 as the Brown's head coach, staring down the barrel of a winless season, and you don't think he should be fired?  I don't know how you can bring back Hue and throw Kizer back out there and expect the Cleveland fans to give a damn about their team.

and just in case everyone forgot:  Cody Kessler's rookie year: 8 starts - 1380 YDS, 6 TD, 2 INT @ 65% comp....  please explain to me why he was kept on the bench all season  ...I find it extremely hard to believe that Kessler couldn't have won at least a few games.  Why has Kessler been written off?

.....What exactly is off with my comparison? I'm not saying Kizer could make the massive leap goff could in year but that he shouldn't just get 1 season because he's being thrown into an awful situation with one of the worst rosters in the league. 

No I don't think he should be fired that's exactly how your franchise continues to suck for decades on end, they hired Hue Jackson and they should at least give him four seasons to try and turn this roster around the entire point of this season was for the browns to tank....Hue Jackson and the entire browns FO stood behind that and then they fired the GM because browns.

Kessler has been written off because the browns are tanking, and he wasn't that good anyway. 

37 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

.....What exactly is off with my comparison? I'm not saying Kizer could make the massive leap goff could in year but that he shouldn't just get 1 season because he's being thrown into an awful situation with one of the worst rosters in the league. 

No I don't think he should be fired that's exactly how your franchise continues to suck for decades on end, they hired Hue Jackson and they should at least give him four seasons to try and turn this roster around the entire point of this season was for the browns to tank....Hue Jackson and the entire browns FO stood behind that and then they fired the GM because browns.

Kessler has been written off because the browns are tanking, and he wasn't that good anyway. 

You don't keep a coach who is terrible just to have continuity. Hue is really bad. They weren't trying to tank and the roster isn't awful. Kizer lost a handful of games on his own and Hue probably cost them 6 wins with personnel choices and game management. The front 7 were good. The secondary needs work but they were schemed poorly. The offensive line was acceptable. The running game was decent. The receivers were bad but even with Gordon returning and Coleman getting healthy and progress by the tight ends the offense is still terrible because of Kizer and Hue. Keeping the weak links in place is good for continuity but you have to realize that keeping poor people in their positions only means that you will be continuously bad.

Hue should go. Kizer should hit the bench. There should be a new starting QB next year and a new coach. Anything else is unacceptable because neither are any good at this point in their careers and they need to figure something out before they are put in a position to lead an NFL team.

Archived