DeShone Kizer: can he turn it around?

Apparition

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Because the coach is trying to lose? We had the #1 pick locked down he could have stopped trying to lose awhile ago. He hasn't. Things have got worse

Again....Why does winning matter in a lost season? wins this year wouldn't matter at all except for avoiding 0-16 and potentially losing the no.1 pick.

Kizer's career will ride on how this offseason goes. He had no time to acclimate himself with Josh Gordon, no matter how good Gordon is. He lost Joe Thomas. He has a bad HC. He also was never ready to start and he wasn't a pro ready prospect.

I'm all on board with the Packers sending a pick to Cleveland to get Kizer to Green Bay. Hundley is going in to his final year of his contract and has proven he isn't good. Let's have 3 years of Kizer sitting on the bench, learning a playbook, practicing/going to meetings with Aaron Rodgers. Also, having no pressure on him would be good for him too. 

Will he get that chance? Dorsey and Thompson obviously have a past. There were reports of the Packers being interested in Kizer during the draft. I'm not confident it will happen, but you never know.

22 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Again....Why does winning matter in a lost season? wins this year wouldn't matter at all except for avoiding 0-16 and potentially losing the no.1 pick.

That's why you play the game. Hue promised we wouldn't go 1-15 again this year. We scored 3 points against the Bears this past week. We have #1 locked up. That is just bad coaching and bad QBing. No one is trying to just score 3 points. Crowell/Johnson ran 16 times and Kizer dropped back to pass 40 times. With the worst QB in the league the coach passes more than twice as much as it runs. The Browns are 5th in yards per carry and 27th in attempts. In poor weather games like Chicago and Jax we pass more than twice as much as we run, that is just terrible playcalling by the head coach.

I hope he can turn it around, but I'm very doubtful that he will. Kizer certainly wasn't ready to start this year, so I think Hue hurt him by making him start right away. Kizer has a lot of things that you look for in a franchise QB - great arm, size, mobility and athleticism. However, his accuracy is inconsistent at best and he makes so many mind-boggling decisions. He'll make one beautiful pass, but for every pass like that he'll make five horrendous throws/decisions. I know rookies make their fair share of mistakes, but I've never seen a QB make so many moronic decisions that Kizer has made. Either way, there's no way the Browns can go into next season with him penciled in as the definite starter. 

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

That's why you play the game. Hue promised we wouldn't go 1-15 again this year. We scored 3 points against the Bears this past week. We have #1 locked up. That is just bad coaching and bad QBing. No one is trying to just score 3 points. Crowell/Johnson ran 16 times and Kizer dropped back to pass 40 times. With the worst QB in the league the coach passes more than twice as much as it runs. The Browns are 5th in yards per carry and 27th in attempts. In poor weather games like Chicago and Jax we pass more than twice as much as we run, that is just terrible playcalling by the head coach.

You do realize if you fall behind you can't just run the ball right? Terrible playcalling or not I blame it on game script.

19 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

You do realize if you fall behind you can't just run the ball right? Terrible playcalling or not I blame it on game script.

If you watch the games you will see that we have done it in games where we led or were close. Just watch the Jaguar game in miserable conditions. I think all but 3 of the Jaguars points came off of Kizer turnovers. The game probably would have been closer if we just kneels and punted all game long.

10 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

That might actually be good for his long term development, compared to the win now attitudes often taken with young mobile QBs who are often given simplified offenses without many reads and then to told to run. 

No doubt Kizer has accuracy issues he might never get over, but it’s comical how little the Browns have done to help the guy. 

No. He's just too bad. I know he's a rookie, but he does things that a HS freshman QB doesn't do. Mind bogglingly stupid. He has a ton of raw talent and that will keep him in the league for a while, but he'll never amount to anything. I hate to completely crap on a rookie QB on a bad team, but I don't see how there could be hope for someone that stupid.

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

No doubt Kizer has accuracy issues he might never get over, but it’s comical how little the Browns have done to help the guy. 

Yes and no. While our offense has been a nightmare, this dude has single-handedly lost us 4-5 games this season. If we had Jake Delhomme NOW at QB, we would have been more successful this year. Kizer is just trash any way you slice it. The way he carelessly chucks the football into double, triple, and quadruple coverage would have Derek Anderson calling him bold.

He's a human turnover machine and is also the least clutch QB I've ever seen. In crunch time...on 3rd downs...he tends to unleash catastrophic mistakes. Black Brandon Weeden.

DeShone Kizer is the perfect example of a player who wouldve been much better off staying in college another year...and, ya know.....not have been drafted by the worst team in football.

And no, Im not trying to knock on the Browns....but even when some Steeler fans were hoping we would get him, I said I didnt see more than a day 3 caliber player that might have some potential with the proper development.   Instead, he went in the 2nd round to a team that asked him to be far far more than he was ready to be, especially given the limited talent around him on offense.

Can he turn it around?   I think he can be a decent backup if he gets some better coaching and mentoring, but I dont think he will ever be a starting caliber QB.     His ceiling IMO is in the Mike Glennon/Brock Osweiler range.

I agree entirely with FourThree on this. 

Kizer was nowhere near ready for the NFL and should have stayed in college. And because of this, he would've failed no matter which team he was drafted by imo, but this only compounded ten-fold by the fact that he was placed on a team like the Browns. 

That said, hindsight is 20/20. The Browns didn't do him any favors either on their end by throwing him to the wolves as early as they did. If they were sold on him that much from the beginning going forward then they should have put him in a better position to properly develop by; a) going out getting a veteran QB that he could learn from and b) not starting him at all this season.

Now I don't know if that any of this would've mattered or not in the long run but he sure as hell would've had a much better chance at succeeding than he does now.

Archived