DeShone Kizer: can he turn it around?

Apparition

Kizer is about to put the capstone on what, statistically, would be the worst QB season since Jake Plummer's 1999 campaign (minimum 350 attempts). Hue Jackson has said pretty explicitly that he won't commit to Kizer as the Browns QB in 2018. 

Of course, QBs who have had bad rookie seasons have been able to get past it and thrive with improved coaching and surrounding talent. Jared Goff's turnaround from year 1 to year 2 is a testament to that. Can the same thing happen for Kizer, or is there something so fundamentally wrong with him as a player that he can be written off

Just now, Starless said:

Kizer is about to put the capstone on what, statistically, would be the worst QB season since Jake Plummer's 1999 campaign (minimum 350 attempts). Hue Jackson has said pretty explicitly that he won't commit to Kizer as the Browns QB in 2018. 

Of course, QBs who have had bad rookie seasons have been able to get past it and thrive with improved coaching and surrounding talent. Jared Goff's turnaround from year 1 to year 2 is a testament to that. Can the same thing happen for Kizer, or is there something so fundamentally wrong with him as a player that he can be written off

Jared showed flashes of brilliance see the saints game.. Jared is a super deadly accurate passer.. We knew Jared had no help and needed

help and a new system. Hue is suppose to be a genious OC and nothing’s working.. Kizer has thrown some ugly balls and head scratching INTs. 

After what we saw with Jared Goff last year you shouldn't write off any rookie QB. Like so many people (including myself) did. 

I think with another year in Hue Jackson's offense and maybe a massive injection of talent he could turn it around, but that would mean the browns wouldn't draft a QB no.1 overall and that seems unlikely right now. 

Then again Hue Jackson is likely to get fired when he shouldn't be and that's gonna screw up Kizer's development and with a new GM there's a pretty good chance they'll draft a QB anyway.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

If Alex Smith can turn it around there is hope. His rookie year was so awful. 

Alex Smith also can only play one style and cripples his OC's flexibility. Ill give you he turned it around but his success is designed by the coaches. Put him in any other system, id bet money he'd be below average.

And thats the only chance Kizer ever had of being a long term starter imo. Great line, great running game, and a good D to carry him.

Still wonder why people ever thought he was franchise qb material. Hes a career backup

5 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Alex Smith also can only play one style and cripples his OC's flexibility. Ill give you he turned it around but his success is designed by the coaches. Put him in any other system, id bet money he'd be below average.

And thats the only chance Kizer ever had of being a long term starter imo. Great line, great running game, and a good D to carry him.

Still wonder why people ever thought he was franchise qb material. Hes a career backup

I don't see what the problem is with having legitimate help from good coaches and players to help you develop. Steve Young, for example, would not be in the HOF had he stayed in Tampa. Fortunately he went to the best situation in the NFL to help polish his skills. Same with Favre if he stayed in Atlanta. Probably not a HOF player. If going to a team with a good defense, good offensive line, and good running game helps him get better then I don't see what the problem is?

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't see what the problem is with having legitimate help from good coaches and players to help you develop. Steve Young, for example, would not be in the HOF had he stayed in Tampa. Fortunately he went to the best situation in the NFL to help polish his skills. Same with Favre if he stayed in Atlanta. Probably not a HOF player. 

There's no problem with. Im just saying that Smith only developed in certain areas to become successful in a limited offensive system. Favre and Young developed into more than just what their scheme asked. If you put them on another team at age 30, theyd have still played well cuz their talent was developed, not catered to and molded around a spcific style and scheme.

I guess what i was trying to say is that theyre different prospects. Kizer wasnt a good prospect to begin with and was overdrafted. There's playing to your QB's strengths and then there's making the entire team compensate. The former is Alex Smith's situation, the latter will be Kizer's...

1 hour ago, Starless said:

He was a project to begin with. Under the best of circumstances he would have been expected to struggle out of the gate. Given the utter lack of help around him, it's no surprise he looks terrible.

That being said, I wouldn't necessarily hitch my wagon to him either. I wasn't all that impressed with him as a prospect. I considered him sort of a Jamarcus Russell prototype. Good size. Good arm. Poor mechanics. Poor decision making. 

In the end, I cant say because I didnt watch any of him. Shocking as it might sound, I have no interest in spending a second on that poop train. But I can say this, I watched plenty of Goff last season. And as poor as his statistics were, anyone with 2 eyes and some sense could see there was promise there and it was a good young QB in a terrible situation. You could see his mental toughness. His desire to win. His mechanics were sound. He just couldnt do anything with it while running for his life or while his receivers were seemingly dropping one out of every 10 passes the kid threw.

So I will have to take the word of the Browns fans on this. Miserable bastards that they are, they still know football. And they have watched plenty of him. 

Archived