Solo: A Star Wars Story

RamRod

23 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont think there is a canonical criminal syndicate, is there? There is a hint of one in the Aphra comics but nothing super concrete. Could be wrong though.

I dont think Disney would have gotten in the way of Lord and Miller's buddy cop feel if it was original characters. Something that focused around Woody and Thandie's characters wouldve been great. Character like that with a Han cameo would have been great, with just enough Solo to get peoples knickers knotted. 

Black Sun is canon, and TFA introduces the Guavian Death Gang and Kanjiklub.  Also, you have the Hutts and Mandalorians, though technically the Mandalorians are mercenaries/bounty hunters who will work for the highest bidder.  

8 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Except that's not what he said.  He went there just to die by self imposed exile. But given how talented and smart Luke was there would be no map if he didnt want to be found. Rian massively f&%ked that part up. 

I wish people would stop defending this new series of movies. Solo was solid but unspectacular in any way. TFA for all its problems was a decent start to the franchise and could have been built on the right way. Rogue One I disagree with others who say it was poor. To me it was the only one that felt like a real Star Wars movie. 

Was he there to die or to run away from his mistakes because he couldn't face Leia after what Ben did? 

I think what you mean is "disagree with me" some people actually like the news movies mate.

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont think there is a canonical criminal syndicate, is there? There is a hint of one in the Aphra comics but nothing super concrete. Could be wrong though.

I dont think Disney would have gotten in the way of Lord and Miller's buddy cop feel if it was original characters. Something that focused around Woody and Thandie's characters wouldve been great. Character like that with a Han cameo would have been great, with just enough Solo to get peoples knickers knotted. 

Someone already said it, agreed Solo should've been a background character at best.

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

That was in no way Rian Johnson since the map was established in TFA

I know but thats what i'm talking about. As naptownskinsfan pointed out it was implied it was left behind so they could find him if they needed him. But that entire implication was thrown out the window, in TLJ Rian made it sound like it was Luke's plan all along to go into exile and die on the planet. It would have fit better had he given up hope after he got there not finding the grand answer he was looking for to solve his problems, like a greek tragedy. I could have got a little more behind that.

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I liked Solo more than most I think. I rewatched it now that its on netflix and my meter didnt move on where it had landed in theaters, which is good and bad I guess. I think if it was based around a new character instead of Han freaking Solo they would have had more freedom to make a good flick rather than handling the property with kid gloves to make sure you dont risk Solo's character. It's why I think Rogue One is the better of the two anthologies, it had the freedom to go where it wanted with its characters and story as long as it ended in getting the plans to the rebellion. I also think that if this was NOT a Han Solo movie, Lord and Miller wouldve finished it and it wouldve been great. 

Rogue One was just more griddy though. They didn't overdue it on the humor either which was a major plus because it still kept everything suspenseful. Han really should have been the only character in the film with the one liners, with some maybe coming from Lando.

55 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Was he there to die or to run away from his mistakes because he couldn't face Leia after what Ben did? 

Both. In TFA that wasn't the case though.

55 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I think what you mean is "disagree with me" some people actually like the news movies mate.

Disagree with me and the billion other pissed off fans that got c0ck punched by this movie that they have been waiting on for 20 to 30 years.

48 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Both. In TFA that wasn't the case though.

Disagree with me and the billion other pissed off fans that got c0ck punched by this movie that they have been waiting on for 20 to 30 years.

It's a plot thread, plot threads change from movie to movie. Ep.9 will no doubt make Rey a Skywalker/Kenobi or something along those lines to please the fans because of a bad reaction from the minority of fans. 

Ya'll got the movie you waited 20-30 years for when TFA premiered, the moment anyone tries to do something different in a star wars movie suddenly it's the worst star wars movie ever. That still gets me when the prequels exist. I get not liking a movie, we all have that one movie franchise that's like "WHY DID THEY DO THIS?!"  but it's just a movie no matter how much more we like dramatize it.

We'll just agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

It's a plot thread, plot threads change from movie to movie. Ep.9 will no doubt make Rey a Skywalker/Kenobi or something along those lines to please the fans because of a bad reaction from the minority of fans. 

Lol the minority are the paid journalist and casual fans who never took a real interest in the movies to begin with. Real fans are what made TFA a top 5 all-time earning block buster, same with the Avengers: IW and those are the fans are the reason why TLJ couldn't even break into the Top 10 of highest grossing movies of all time despite being one of the most hyped movies of all time. They are the reason why Disney's own Bob Iger himself said future Star Wars projects are being put on hold. For the largest entertainment company that loves to give the finger to everyone with how they make movies doing it the way "they" like. For Iger himself to come out and say that, that's when you know they pissed off the MAJORITY of fans. It was shocking to me when he said that because Disney in this day in age you would think would never do that the way they dominate the movie market. A minority group would not have been able to accomplish that, you want further proof? They did a number through their media contacts to paint all the "haters" as bigot's, racists, Trump supporters and w/e else they could think of. They even went so far as to claim it was Russian hackers as the reason failed expectations. Except there is no speech of triumph, or about how they are going to fight the good fight and all that other propaganda crap these large companies like to use. Iger literally said they need to think about things going foward and watch this franchise more closely.

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

Ya'll got the movie you waited 20-30 years for when TFA premiered, the moment anyone tries to do something different in a star wars movie suddenly it's the worst star wars movie ever. That still gets me when the prequels exist. I get not liking a movie, we all have that one movie franchise that's like "WHY DID THEY DO THIS?!"  but it's just a movie no matter how much more we like dramatize it.

No no no no no no. It was hyped, and as great as Han and Leia are, they are not Luke Skywalker who was put in as a cameo. Also not many people said Rogue One was the worst of SW nor even on TFA which got alot of backlash for copying the very first film, same Solo even. There was gripes about those films but no more then you hear about any other block busters like these. The TFA backlash was warranted because Abrams could have done a ode to ANH while making his own movie. But the backlash for TLJ has been overwhelming, to such an extent that even Solo was greatly affected by it.

And this is why I call you guys casual fans. To you it's just a movie, for the rest of us that have invested in this franchise. It's an experience that was used for other high level corporate executives selfish reasons and they slapped us in the face with it. They used it to spread their "messages" and let the director do w/e the hell he wanted to do so long as they got their propaganda out.

32 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Lol the minority are the paid journalist and casual fans who never took a real interest in the movies to begin with. Real fans are what made TFA a top 5 all-time earning block buster, same with the Avengers: IW and those are the fans are the reason why TLJ couldn't even break into the Top 10 of highest grossing movies of all time despite being one of the most hyped movies of all time. They are the reason why Disney's own Bob Iger himself said future Star Wars projects are being put on hold. For the largest entertainment company that loves to give the finger to everyone with how they make movies doing it the way "they" like. For Iger himself to come out and say that, that's when you know they pissed off the MAJORITY of fans. It was shocking to me when he said that because Disney in this day in age you would think would never do that the way they dominate the movie market. A minority group would not have been able to accomplish that, you want further proof? They did a number through their media contacts to paint all the "haters" as bigot's, racists, Trump supporters and w/e else they could think of. They even went so far as to claim it was Russian hackers as the reason failed expectations. Except there is no speech of triumph, or about how they are going to fight the good fight and all that other propaganda crap these large companies like to use. Iger literally said they need to think about things going foward and watch this franchise more closely.

No no no no no no. It was hyped, and as great as Han and Leia are, they are not Luke Skywalker who was put in as a cameo. Also not many people said Rogue One was the worst of SW nor even on TFA which got alot of backlash for copying the very first film, same Solo even. There was gripes about those films but no more then you hear about any other block busters like these. The TFA backlash was warranted because Abrams could have done a ode to ANH while making his own movie. But the backlash for TLJ has been overwhelming, to such an extent that even Solo was greatly affected by it.

And this is why I call you guys casual fans. To you it's just a movie, for the rest of us that have invested in this franchise. It's an experience that was used for other high level corporate executives selfish reasons and they slapped us in the face with it. They used it to spread their "messages" and let the director do w/e the hell he wanted to do so long as they got their propaganda out.

I'm not gonna touch half of this because forum rules and all, just know 80% of this is your own bias and like the dark side it has clouded your judgement.

29 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

And to be told that Star Wars is not for me/you was a huge slap in the face.  After all, I have every single EU novel, bought every movie in the original and prequel trilogy at least three times over the years, played just about all of the video games since the X-Wing and Dark Forces games came out in the 90's, bought tons of toys and LEGOs when I was a kid, and I've been a subscriber to SWTOR since Day 1.  So yeah, they aren't making Star Wars for me.  

Iger's company has egg on their face with Star Wars.  Avengers: Infinity War outsold The Last Jedi in stores as far as money goes, but Star Wars sold the most units because retailers had to clearance them.  Multiple toy stores still have TLJ toys on clearance, and Hasbro and Disney have both said Star Wars toys did not sell and they had to clearance them.  Fan backlash then led to Solo bombing at the box office despite it being a solid movie (over than rewriting Lando) and they once again are stuck with toys and merchandise to clearance.   I think live-action TV shows are a start in the right direction and could work for Star Wars.  But this is not a fanbase that wants or desires to see a new movie every year, or even multiple movies in a year.  It's not Marvel, and they've been treating it as such.  

All the while, their exclusive video game contract with EA isn't fairing so well.  The Visceral Games project, which was originally led by the Uncharted series founder, has just been cancelled.  Bioware has very limited resources on SWTOR with Anthem's launch imminent and it seems the game has continued to die a slow death, once again because of creative and storytelling issues.  Respawn Entertainment (Titanfall series, and indirectly the co-founders of Infinity Ward/COD MW) is working on Jedi: Fallen Order but that is the only Star Wars game in development.  Of course, this completely ignores the flop that was Battlefront II, that Disney weathered along with EA for their decision to mine the game with lootboxes, and nearly a year later DICE had to rewrite the entire multiplayer progression system from the lootbox method.  Currently a skeleton crew puts forth very little effort into Battlefront, and that community is slowing dying like SWTOR.  

They've got to fix this, because Disney is dangerously close to starting to lose money on their investment.  

12 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I'm not gonna touch half of this because forum rules and all, just know 80% of this is your own bias and like the dark side it has clouded your judgement.

Hey failed propaganda. I'm just saying.

You right I have my bias because I love the franchise as a whole and I want to see this story continue and go in a great direction. Even if it doesn't satisfy every expectation, you can still tell when the writer cares about the story and it's connection to that universe as a whole. H/e this wasn't that, and it was even put out there this movie was supposed to be like a stand alone film that doesn't need to be continued or explained upon as if it stands apart from the whole trilogy itself. It's a sad piece of cinema.

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

they are? 

It's taken them xix years to make the money back on their investment.  Maybe I misspoke a bit, as Star Wars is a cash cow, but they aren't making the kind of money right now they made fresh on the heels of their original acquisition and after The Force Awakens released.  

When you look at The Force Awakens making over $2,000,000,000 worldwide, and the other three movies falling just shy of $3,000,000,000 combined, you need to look at what's going on with your recent product.  It's not selling in the toy stores, though Marvel is, and you can bet Hasbro wants to renegotiate the Star Wars deal with Disney.  EA isn't making them any money on video games either.  

The whole point of what I'm trying to say about the franchise is that the direction they headed after The Force Awakens has not been a good one, and that they need to reverse course.  And for God's sake, stop attacking your fans because they didn't like your storytelling.  Everyone has a right to dislike movies due to storytelling, and I've never seen a movie do as bad a job with that as The Last Jedi, and Abrams handed Rian Johnson a whole bunch of material to work with.  

25 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

I won't address any of it directly, but all of what was referenced are what's being thrown at the direction of people who don't like The Last Jedi.  However, myself, and a lot of other people who are big Star Wars fans like myself, can look past everything relating to how they wrote the characters.  The failure in The Last Jedi was in it's storytelling, and not staying true to the original material for the original characters. 

That's it.  I don't care what sexual orientation which character is, I don't care that someone is male or female.  What I care about is the two years that myself, and many other fans, spent countless hours discussing plot points for the second movie that The Force Awakens introduced.   Who is Snoke?  Why is he more powerful than the Emperor.  Who is Rey's parents?  Why do we hear Obi-Wan's voice in the scene where she discovers Luke/Anakin's lightsaber?   People put so much time and effort into fantastic fan fiction and theories on these topics, and what happens?  

Snoke is a nobody, cut in half by his apprentice.  He can't see the betrayal in front of him, yet he can ragdoll Rey around his throne room with the Force, link two people telepathically across the galaxy and use the Force on people not in the same star system.  

Who are Rey's parents?  Nobody important to name.  She doesn't even get the "virgin birth" of the Chosen One, which is another fan theory that I liked.  

Obi-Wan's voice?  Nothing explained, and nothing coming of it.  

Luke Skywalker?  The person who was supposed to give us hope in the original trilogy, who saw the good in his father despite the many atrocities he committed, now has no hope?  He was ready to kill his NEPHEW because of a force vision, yet refused to kill Darth Vader when he had the chance.  Skywalker was treated as a joke the second he threw his old lightsaber off the cliff.  

Thats why I'm mad about Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi.  It was a horrible sequel and answered none of the questions of it's predecessor.  Heck, JJ Abrams left drafts for Episodes 8 and 9 based off his movie, and Johnson took nothing from it.  No wonder why JJ Abrams was asked to come back and salvage this trilogy.  Johnson's treated the fans who disagreed with him like crap on social media, ones who legitimately have problems and questions about the film and who aren't trolling.  He doesn't deserve another Star Wars movie, much less be given a new trilogy to work with.  

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Thats why I'm mad about Rian Johnson and The Last Jedi

My feelings about it aren't as strong as yours.  But i agree with you in general.

The movie was fine.  But for what is supposed to be a blockbuster hit and one of the flagships of Disney, fine isn't good enough.  There was no depth to it, just some action you can sort of enjoy if you don't think about it for more than 3 seconds.  But forget re-watching it.  It will only get worse as you realize all the stuff that doesn't connect.  Hell, the fast and furious franchise has more depth than the latest set of SW movies.  Rewatch those again and again and you'll see all the intricate ways they interconnected those movies.

I had avoided seeing the Solo movie because of TLJ.  I guess some people enjoyed it, so maybe i'll watch it on Netflix sometime.

Such a shame to have this grand universe, 10 movies in total, and only 3 of them have great stories to tell.  

Archived