Solo: A Star Wars Story

RamRod

This was literally one of the worst movies Ive ever seen. I left after about a hour.

• Spielberg's little pawn looked nothing like Han. Sounded nothing like Han, and acted nothing like Han.
  • Emilia Clark is a waste of space. She cant act to save her life.
  • I was hoping Glover would save everything. I saw him on screen for 5 mins, and I knew it was done. He acted like Donald Glover, or even Danny Glover.
  • Im glad they decided to use the Game of Thrones color scheme. Star Wars needs no color at all in their movies.
  • I saw the SWJ robot for like 20 seconds. I was already done by then.

17 hours ago, devils1854 said:

This was literally one of the worst movies Ive ever seen. I left after about a hour.

• Spielberg's little pawn looked nothing like Han. Sounded nothing like Han, and acted nothing like Han.
  • Emilia Clark is a waste of space. She cant act to save her life.
  • I was hoping Glover would save everything. I saw him on screen for 5 mins, and I knew it was done. He acted like Donald Glover, or even Danny Glover.
  • Im glad they decided to use the Game of Thrones color scheme. Star Wars needs no color at all in their movies.
  • I saw the SWJ robot for like 20 seconds. I was already done by then.

This might be my biggest pet peeve. 

You say it was one of the worst movies you've ever seen, yet you left after an hour.
- Ehrenreich actually did a pretty good job as Han. His facial reactions and personality/confidence were perfect. Wouldn't expect you to see that though if you left an hour into it.
- Glover fit Lando to a tee. Not sure how you can even say that with a straight face, but he was EXACTLY what I would've pictured Lando from the OT to be when he was younger.
- Color scheme? Seriously?
- The droid and Clark complaints are justified, but by the end I actually thought Clark did a decent job. 

It was a good movie. Not great, but far from the worst movie I've ever seen. People overreact to anything nowadays...

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

This might be my biggest pet peeve. 

You say it was one of the worst movies you've ever seen, yet you left after an hour.
- Ehrenreich actually did a pretty good job as Han. His facial reactions and personality/confidence were perfect. Wouldn't expect you to see that though if you left an hour into it.
- Glover fit Lando to a tee. Not sure how you can even say that with a straight face, but he was EXACTLY what I would've pictured Lando from the OT to be when he was younger.
- Color scheme? Seriously?
- The droid and Clark complaints are justified, but by the end I actually thought Clark did a decent job. 

It was a good movie. Not great, but far from the worst movie I've ever seen. People overreact to anything nowadays...

To be fair, though, if it wasn't a SW movie - it would literally be your average run-of-the-mill movie that would generate little fanfare on its own merits.   Pretty much forgettable in all respects.

It isn't bad enough to walk out of, no doubt, but it's certainly nothing that memorable, or even good.  It's just OK.   I did enjoy the Chewie-Han storyline, and Clarke and Harrison did a decent job with pretty standard boiler-plate characters.   Glover wasn't awful as Lando, but much like the other characters, he was written pretty much as paint-by-numbers.  Not awful, but also far from memorable.   The story itself had such little impact (other than expanding on the origins of the rebellion, which I did enjoy), and the ending was clearly set up to try and build on future movies - the problem being that the character development doesn't create much attachment, other than what we had from the previous SW movies.    It certainly didn't do much to make me care for the new characters left, nor really think a Lando/Han future movie is suddenly going to be a lot more interesting.   The Black Hat was so paper-thin and un-menacing it really hurt the impact of this story.  And the droid angle was OMG awful.  The spoiler was actually the worst form of movie click-bait one could conceive.   The bad parts certainly seemed on par with the decent to good parts of the movie.

I get overall it's not on the Jar Jar Binks level of crapitude, but let's face it, it's a very average movie as a standalone movie of any genre.   Given the high bar being set by other franchises, well, I get why people are underwhelmed.

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, though, if it wasn't a SW movie - it would literally be your average run-of-the-mill movie that would generate little fanfare on its own merits.   Pretty much forgettable in all respects.

It isn't bad enough to walk out of, no doubt, but it's certainly nothing that memorable, or even good.  It's just OK.   I did enjoy the Chewie-Han storyline, and Clarke and Harrison did a decent job with pretty standard boiler-plate characters.   Glover wasn't awful as Lando, but much like the other characters, he was written pretty much as paint-by-numbers.  Not awful, but also far from memorable.   The story itself had such little impact (other than expanding on the origins of the rebellion, which I did enjoy), and the ending was clearly set up to try and build on future movies - the problem being that the character development doesn't create much attachment, other than what we had from the previous SW movies.    It certainly didn't do much to make me care for the new characters left, nor really think a Lando/Han future movie is suddenly going to be a lot more interesting.   The Black Hat was so paper-thin and un-menacing it really hurt the impact of this story.  And the droid angle was OMG awful.  The spoiler was actually the worst form of movie click-bait one could conceive.   The bad parts certainly seemed on par with the decent to good parts of the movie.

I get overall it's not on the Jar Jar Binks level of crapitude, but let's face it, it's a very average movie as a standalone movie of any genre.   Given the high bar being set by other franchises, well, I get why people are underwhelmed.

We'll have to disagree. Even without the Star Wars factor, I thought it was decent. The plot wasn't anything special, but it was a good origin story and I thought the majority of the actors nailed it. Guess I'm in the minority but I actually felt like I was watching a young Lando and even though Ehrenreich doesn't look exactly like Harrison Ford, the way he played the role was great. The actors and the nostalgia made the movie for me. Also, I don't think the black hat was as "un-menacing" as you're making it out to be. The entire focus of the movie was built around smugglers and that way of life. He was about as evil of a bad guy that could be found in that area, especially when you find out who his actual boss is.

Now I'm talking strictly about THIS movie. Not about how it relates into future movies, because we don't know that's a certainty yet. For all we know, Boba Fett may not have anything to do with this one, so I'm taking this one as a solo film (sorry, really tried hard to avoid that pun) and because of that, it's about equal to Rogue One in my rankings, although I'm a bit lower than the consensus on that one.

I came into this movie doubting Ehrenreich (sp?) as much as anyone, and I thought he did as good a job as anyone could have expected.  Is he a young Harrison Ford?  No, but that's setting the bar awfully damn high.  I thought he was much closer to Ford than Glover was to Billy Dee Williams.

I just can't see why it being a solid fun action movie can't be enough.  Not every movie needs to redefine the genre.  It was fun and I had fun.  It won't happen, but I'd like to see the cast brought back and integrated into other spin off movies (if it makes sense, don't shoe horn it).

The droid thing was terrible though, no argument on that.

It was an average movie. No memorable lines or scenes. It was your typical cliche, trope-filled action movie. Was it bad? No. Would I watch it again? No. The plot moved too fast in my opinion and it never took time to stop and show us why anyone should care about any of the characters. Yes, I get that it's Han Solo, a character most are somewhat familiar with, but we're being sold his backstory with a younger version.

Some of the audience clapped at the end, which prompted several people to openly say "what are we clapping about?" I still have no idea what they were clapping for besides the fact that they got another Star Wars film.

The Robo-SJW was annoying but not film-breaking or anything. It didn't have that much screen time, though every time they made the joke they made sure to slam you in the face with it.

It wasn't a great movie, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The plot was mediocre to bad.

Ehrenreich was bad. The kid has zero of the charisma that you expect out of someone playing Han Solo. He certainly didn't get the role on merit. Kid has talent, and was really funny as the idiot actor in Hail Ceasar, but he wasn't meant for this role.

Emilie is just a bad actress. Nothing more to say here.

Robo SJW seems like a sign of the times. These hyper left partisan studios and producers are going to be shoving this sort of stuff down our throats from this point forward. No nuance, no conflict, just forced and out-of-place talking points. I hate it with all my soul.

Glover was underwhelming too IMO. A few scenes where he seemed similar to Lando, but basically just himself. Could have been the short screen time and writing though.

Really wish Thandie Newton had more of a role. She is a tremendous actress. In fact, the story would have been a lot better if it was just called 'A Star Wars Story' and centered around Woody and Thandie. You know, two people that can emote and act.

But, the saving grace was the sets, costumes, excellent CG and overall tremendous job of creating a background that truly built a universe. The stage, if you will, was the best I have ever seen in a star wars film. It was the actors on the stage, and the writing behind the stage, and the direction to a point as well, that failed. But the stage was beautiful. The detail by far the best I have seen since the original Star Wars. I just want to give props to that department in regards to this film. They were tremendous.

It was worth seeing, and honestly is on par with Episode 8 to me, which I hated. Might even compete with Episode 7 too. Hell, after writing this I might only be willing to say that Rogue One was better, and that's a indictment of this new franchise more than a endorsement of this new film.

Archived