Curious Case of Mike Mularkey

KingTitan

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I'd be fine with Greg Roman. 

I like Greg Roman....but I'm skeptical that he would go too far outside his circle.  
I can't find a connection. I do see Eric Mangini was the TE Coach with Roman as an OC in SF. Mangini was in NE with Jon Robinson.  So maaaaayyyybe? :) 

48 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I like Greg Roman....but I'm skeptical that he would go too far outside his circle.  
I can't find a connection. I do see Eric Mangini was the TE Coach with Roman as an OC in SF. Mangini was in NE with Jon Robinson.  So maaaaayyyybe? :) 

I agree that Mularkey probably wouldn't go outside of his circle. So, if he doesn't really know him on a personal level it would probably be unlikely. I just think that Greg Roman could be a nice pairing with Marcus considering the QBs that have thrived under his system.  Alex Smith and Kaepernick both played well under him.  Let's not forget too that when he inherited Alex Smith he was considered a bust and a broken QB by most when he got in Roman's system.  Harbaugh definitely deserves some of that credit too, but Roman certainly played a part.  If I'm not mistaken Tyrod Taylor also had a great year under Roman as a first year starter before he got his extension.  So, there is a track record there of Roman being able to develop QBs and having a system that QBs can thrive in.

My biggest question with Mularkey's connections is other than Clements who is probably not interested in coming back to coaching, who does Mularkey have in his entourage of coaches that has a track record of successfully developing QBs? I feel like I'm talking in circles at this point about it, but getting an OC in here that can really develop Marcus is absolutely paramount. If we hire another OC without a proven background in QB development I'm going to have a lot of reservations about the hire. 

I used to like Roman's work in SF. But best I can remember, he used plenty of tight formations too, and put an emphasis on running the football, I would've imagined he won't be too popular on this team. Pretty sure he was the one who made Delanie shine first, so that could be interesting if it were to happen. Also, I think him and Mularkey would match well in terms of offensive philosophy.

Edited by Andrei01

29 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

I used to like Roman's work in SF. But best I can remember, he used plenty of tight formations too, and put an emphasis on running the football, I would've imagined he won't be too popular on this team. Pretty sure he was the one who made Delanie shine first, so that could be interesting if it were to happen. Also, I think him and Mularkey would match well in terms of offensive philosophy.

To piggyback on this, here's where the 49ers and Bills ranked in each season Roman was the OC terms of rush attempts-3,7,3,9,2,2 compared to pass attempts-31, 31, 32, 29, 31, 32.

Both teams have had good success as far as rushing yards per season under Roman, ranking-8,4,3,4,1,1.

So pretty much in conclusion, if we want to change this up a bit and open our passing game more, I don't think he's the guy. If Mularkey wants to remain strictly a run oriented team, Roman may be a guy he's interested in. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he joins his pal Harbaugh at Michigan in some capacity.

16 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

They were, though, before each got destroyed by injuries. That has nothing to do with the fact that they were already developed into good/really good players before that.

They each had what, two good seasons with a two time Super Bowl QB? I'm not saying they didn't have their ups, but I don't think of them as being success stories. 

6 hours ago, TitanSS said:

They each had what, two good seasons with a two time Super Bowl QB? I'm not saying they didn't have their ups, but I don't think of them as being success stories. 

Well, sure, but each was cut short due to injuries. I'm saying that doesn't take away from the fact that they were already developed into solid players.

I have been a McDaniels guy so I’m not upset to hear that.

Iv said before I like Mularkey great guy great for the community but I asked before what’s his ceiling?

The regression with Marcus is a legitimate worry especially since the offense is so poor this year and Robiskie is a fool.

Titans are a shoe in to win today since a majority of us want new coaches ?

I’ve had some reservations about bringing in McDaniels aside from the obvious Denver fiasco. First of all, I love his work from a scheming/X’s and O’s perspective. I think he does a great job finding different ways to exploit teams week to week which is a huge positive for him.

My biggest question is in the QB development department. Our biggest concern is Marcus’ development and rightfully so, but what QBs has McDaniels actually developed? He had Tebow the one year he was in Denver, a bad year with Sam Bradford in St. Louis, and then back to Brady after that. Are we going to give him credit for Garoppolo and Brissett if they end up panning out? Garoppolo looked great this year, Brissett showed flashes, but how much did McDaniels really work one on one with his second and third string QBs when they were there? I would think any work with them would have fallen more on the QB coach than McDaniels, but we’ll never know that for sure.

2 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I’ve had some reservations about bringing in McDaniels aside from the obvious Denver fiasco. First of all, I love his work from a scheming/X’s and O’s perspective. I think he does a great job finding different ways to exploit teams week to week which is a huge positive for him.

My biggest question is in the QB development department. Our biggest concern is Marcus’ development and rightfully so, but what QBs has McDaniels actually developed? He had Tebow the one year he was in Denver, a bad year with Sam Bradford in St. Louis, and then back to Brady after that. Are we going to give him credit for Garoppolo and Brissett if they end up panning out? Garoppolo looked great this year, Brissett showed flashes, but how much did McDaniels really work one on one with his second and third string QBs when they were there? I would think any work with them would have fallen more on the QB coach than McDaniels, but we’ll never know that for sure.

& matt cassel the yr Brady tore his ACL. Dude can develop QB’s & can implement a system built around personnel verses force a system on personnel.