Gentlemen, I Think Its Time...Consider Baker Mayfield At #1

MistaBohmbastic

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Cross Rosen off the list right now-- Dorsey has said to be one of 3 GMs who said he doesnt like him last year plus Rosen has taken his media shots at the Browns. Not going to happen. Its essentially down to Mayfield or Darnold. 

Dorsey has also shown he doesnt care about size multiple times--He loved Chase Daniels and also went out of his way to cite Russel Wilson.

I am going to go out on a limb with a BOLD prediction. Here it is: The Browns trade the #1 pick to the Giants and they swap spots just like Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers. The Giants get Rosen because of the talk that he doesnt want to play in a bad situation/franchise. The Browns with the Giants pick at #2 take Baker Mayfield. Sam Darnold returns to school.

WATCH IT HAPPE AND SAVE THIS POST!!

Their number 1 and what else fir our number one? Better be a bunch - but I like your thinking too.

Say we sign a credible veteran QB (Smith/Keenum) draft Baker and Saquon Barkley - thats a great start to a hell of an off season.

59 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Cross Rosen off the list right now-- Dorsey has said to be one of 3 GMs who said he doesnt like him last year plus Rosen has taken his media shots at the Browns. Not going to happen. Its essentially down to Mayfield or Darnold. 

Dorsey has also shown he doesnt care about size multiple times--He loved Chase Daniels and also went out of his way to cite Russel Wilson.

I am going to go out on a limb with a BOLD prediction. Here it is: The Browns trade the #1 pick to the Giants and they swap spots just like Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers. The Giants get Rosen because of the talk that he doesnt want to play in a bad situation/franchise. The Browns with the Giants pick at #2 take Baker Mayfield. Sam Darnold returns to school.

WATCH IT HAPPE AND SAVE THIS POST!!

I don’t know if I would go quite that far. Are you a scout with direct knowledge?  Are you Mrs. Dorsey?  Who said Dorsey doesn’t like him?  Walter Football?  Some “unnamed source”?   The point is, like Jim Mora would say, “We really don’t know. We think we know.  We’d like to know, but we really don’t know.” 

In light of that, I do like the scenario you present. 

SIGH......

And so it begins....

I already can't stomach it really b/c I know this is where this whole thing is heading.

Years later we'll realize how terrible it was that Dorsey told Tony Pauline that he'd "stay away" from Rosen thereby making us forfeit the number 1 QB prospect after we earned it through suffering.

The smiles on Browns fans faces when we draft Baker Mayfield and pass on Rosen and Darnold will only be matched in extremity by the emotion of sickness within me when I hear Mayfield's name announced, Tony Grossi, & Goldhammer celebrate w/ joy, shortly after I will puke....

I'd rather trade down both picks a few spots....pick up major hauls for the future and Select Bradley Chubb with our first pick and Saquon Barkley with our 2nd pick.

Rosen/Darnold & Chubb//Barkley/Fitzpatrick OR Trade down then Chubb & Barkley/Fitzpatrick.

Just as a show of hands...

If your in the Mayfield number 1 camp,

1. Were you a goff or Wentz guy?

2. Were you a Davis Webb guy?

3. Who did you like most out of Trubisky, Deshaun, or Mahomes?

11 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

thats pretty condescending. Elaborate on the flaws in Bakers game. Other than he is short and had a run in with the law, what are your issues with his actual play?

You elaborate on how he is better than Rosen and Darnold.

I watch those two and see NFL QBs who can win from multiple areas including the most important which is in the pocket. They both step up in the pocket to make plays all the time. Baker likes to escape and improvise. They both make quick decisions and throw receivers open. Baker has all day to throw behind his line and still takes his time in deciding his best option which is typically wide open. I don't notice him throwing guys open at all.

Baker shouldn't go #1 overall because he is not even the best at his position and he's not #1 overall worthy. He is a late 1st round project. If we were picking 20-32 then I could live with it. We do have 2 top 5 picks though and it is time to actually take the guy with the elite traits. Browns need to stop taking guy hoping they are the exception. 

3 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I don’t know if I would go quite that far. Are you a scout with direct knowledge?  Are you Mrs. Dorsey?  Who said Dorsey doesn’t like him?  Walter Football?  Some “unnamed source”?   The point is, like Jim Mora would say, “We really don’t know. We think we know.  We’d like to know, but we really don’t know.” 

In light of that, I do like the scenario you present. 

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-110

Tony Pauline doesn't typically like about such things and likely wouldn't expose himself as talking directly with John Dorsey before he had a GM job.

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

SIGH......

And so it begins....

I already can't stomach it really b/c I know this is where this whole thing is heading.

Years later we'll realize how terrible it was that Dorsey told Tony Pauline that he'd "stay away" from Rosen thereby making us forfeit the number 1 QB prospect after we earned it through suffering.

The smiles on Browns fans faces when we draft Baker Mayfield and pass on Rosen and Darnold will only be matched in extremity by the emotion of sickness within me when I hear Mayfield's name announced, Tony Grossi, & Goldhammer celebrate w/ joy, shortly after I will puke....

I'd rather trade down both picks a few spots....pick up major hauls for the future and Select Bradley Chubb with our first pick and Saquon Barkley with our 2nd pick.

Rosen/Darnold & Chubb//Barkley/Fitzpatrick OR Trade down then Chubb & Barkley/Fitzpatrick.

Just as a show of hands...

If your in the Mayfield number 1 camp,

1. Were you a goff or Wentz guy?

2. Were you a Davis Webb guy?

3. Who did you like most out of Trubisky, Deshaun, or Mahomes?

I am with you man. I was listening to the radio today and the amount of callers rating Darnold 4th and even 5th best QB in the draft was discussing. Fans are so knee jerk it is pathetic. One flipping game as if the last 25 games don't even matter.  

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-110

Tony Pauline doesn't typically like about such things and likely wouldn't expose himself as talking directly with John Dorsey before he had a GM job.

I have no idea who that is?  Is it Tony? Or Pauline?  Either way I’d be hard pressed to take advice from someone with two first names, especially Pauline. He can’t even spell Dorsey’s name right. 

4 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

I am with you man. I was listening to the radio today and the amount of callers rating Darnold 4th and even 5th best QB in the draft was discussing. Fans are so knee jerk it is pathetic. One flipping game as if the last 25 games don't even matter.  

To be fair he had 31 TDs (5 rushing) this season and 21 turnovers (13 picks). It wasn't a great year statistically for Darnold, I don't know the reason maybe it wasn't mostly his fault but he went from #1 overall no doubt before the season to maybe #1 before the Buckeye game. He is still at maybe #1.

I can only imagine the Baker Mayfield fever pitch that will build to screeching heights if he plays well in the playoff...

It's going to be madness.

I'm taking the over on 10,000 times the Baker and Sam's stats will be compared using the OSU game of 2017 as proof positive that Baker's better.

And even more that amnesia will persists regarding Baker Mayfield's game against OSU in 2016 w/ 3 turnovers and low accuracy/completion rate.

Let the good times roll!!!

I, for one, have liked Mayfield all along. Now, I’m not going to lie to you all. I don’t study tapes, I don’t read scouting reports. But I do read things. 

Now, I have heard that Mayfield is the next Drew Brees. I have heard his touted as in the same league as Russell Wilson.  He has leadership skills. He’s a competitor. He works hard.  I don’t know about you guys, but if we could get Drew Brees or Russell Wilson, gee, I think I’d take that no matter where we pick him, right? 

Now I know some of you all are not big Benjamin Allbright fans, and that’s cool. After the game last night, and people saw Darnold’s performance, he tweeted out that the Ohio State defense is the same one that Mayfield lit up with (and I’m paraphrasing- but it could be looked up) like over 300 yards, 3 TDs, and a 77% rate. I’ll look up the exact tweet and post it. 

Just putting that out there for consideration. 

FWIW: 

Baker Mayfield put 386 yards and 3 TDs on this same defense (on 77% comp pct), with no turnovers earlier this year...

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

To be fair he had 31 TDs (5 rushing) this season and 21 turnovers (13 picks). It wasn't a great year statistically for Darnold, I don't know the reason maybe it wasn't mostly his fault but he went from #1 overall no doubt before the season to maybe #1 before the Buckeye game. He is still at maybe #1.

He was 19 years old last year and hadn't seen much football.

His starting offensive tackles (Zach Banner and Chad Wheeler) both of whom are on NFL teams left along with the guard and a center that split time.

The last remaing good offensive lineman got injured 7 or 8 weeks ago.

He lost JuJu Smith Schuster who at one point was thought to go in the first round...he went later but has made first round impact this year in the NFL.

His WRs are all freshman and sophomores and are learning the game w/ most being converted athletes in the Tavon Austin mold (all except Pittman)

His feet regressed as he looked to run more due to poor OL play and started to regress his mechanics some to avoid blitzes throwing off his back foot b/c he didn't trust his OL.

Despite all that he still balled out often but he's not the shining blameless star he was when he put on a great performance in the Rose Bowl against Penn State last year.

Many concerning things about his game to be sure....mostly now it's that his star power has lost its momentum and the important thing to always remember is that most that are down on Darnold haven't really watched him in every game to get the proper context of his poor or good play.

Most can't tell how many of the INTs were tipped balls, wrong WR routes, poor/inaccurate throws, end of half hail marries etc...

Similarly, most can't say which fumbles were b/c he was doing to much on the run down field, which ones were b/c he held the ball too long, which one's were b/c his OL got destroyed immediately leading to being blindsided, etc...

13 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

And even more amnesia will persists regarding Baker Mayfield's game against OSU in 2016 w/ 3 turnovers and low accuracy/completion rate.

hahaah...this prediction is too good...

not two posts down...we have this:

11 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

the Ohio State defense is the same one that Mayfield lit up with (and I’m paraphrasing- but it could be looked up) like over 300 yards, 3 TDs, and a 77% rate. I’ll look up the exact tweet and post it. 

Just putting that out there for consideration. 

FWIW: 

Baker Mayfield put 386 yards and 3 TDs on this same defense (on 77% comp pct), with no turnovers earlier this year...

Let the good times roll

Archived