Gentlemen, I Think Its Time...Consider Baker Mayfield At #1

MistaBohmbastic

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not to be too much of a conspiracy theorist here, but I’d like to know more about this “undisclosed illness” that he’s had the last week. For a plethora of reasons I’d like to know, and I’m far from an expert and don’t want to offend anyone, but it almost sounds like someone struggling with addiction of some kind. I hope I’m wrong.

They were saying it was a "flu bug".  Not sure if that was legit, or they were hiding something, or just hiding him from the media in general?

11 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

They were saying it was a "flu bug".  Not sure if that was legit, or they were hiding something, or just hiding him from the media in general?

Based upon certain no comments from teammates and coaches I can’t help but think otherwise 

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I think its absurd to knock a prospect because they had more talent around them. The dude still doesn't turn the football over. He still reads the defenses and makes the throws to get to his guys. It's also hilarious to see how inflated someone is making his surrounding players to fit their argument, then leaves Lasley off of UCLA's talented players group when the guy has been one of the toughest receivers in college this season. 

I guess Peyton Manning wasn't talented either. It was all James, Faulk, Harrison, Clark, Saturday, Wayne, etc. 

No one is knocking his talent because he played with talent, but the talent does play a part in his production.

And yes, guys like Faulk, Harrison, Clark, Glenn, etc all played a large part in Peyton’s PRODUCTION.

When comparing two players, if you want to use production as an arguement, you have to consider the variables, of which surrounding talent is one.

In that respect, Rosen is so much less of a projection, because he is running pro concepts and making pro style anticipatory throws all the time. He also has limited mobility forcing him to play within structure and in spite of the Lasley buzz, much less talent around him than Mayfield, in every respect. O-line, perimeter, backs.

He belongs in the conversation with Rosen and Darnold. I'd take him #1 right now, but there are issues. Really, it's interesting, all three guys have fantastic potential and some very real question marks, but it's in three completely different ways on all three!

Darnold pros - Big, Arm, Improvises great, intangibles, deep ball
Rosen pros - Mental acuity, mid-range accuracy, football smarts
Mayfield pros - Insane stats, Very good accuracy all over the field, "winner" mentality

Darnold cons - Raw, Inaccurate at times, INTs, short track record
Rosen cons - Skinny/fragile, Deep ball accuracy, top end arm strength lacking, reaction to pressure, "doesn't need football"
Mayfield cons - "system QB", bad defenses faced, height, off field attitude/issues

It really is just which concerns/upside resonate the most with you personally. I think all three could be elite, top 8 type starters, but all three could also "bust" to one degree or another.

45 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Not to be too much of a conspiracy theorist here, but I’d like to know more about this “undisclosed illness” that he’s had the last week. For a plethora of reasons I’d like to know, and I’m far from an expert and don’t want to offend anyone, but it almost sounds like someone struggling with addiction of some kind. I hope I’m wrong.

Wow.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

15 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

He belongs in the conversation with Rosen and Darnold. I'd take him #1 right now, but there are issues. Really, it's interesting, all three guys have fantastic potential and some very real question marks, but it's in three completely different ways on all three!

Darnold pros - Big, Arm, Improvises great, intangibles, deep ball
Rosen pros - Mental acuity, mid-range accuracy, football smarts
Mayfield pros - Insane stats, Very good accuracy all over the field, "winner" mentality

Darnold cons - Raw, Inaccurate at times, INTs, short track record
Rosen cons - Skinny/fragile, Deep ball accuracy, top end arm strength lacking, reaction to pressure, "doesn't need football"
Mayfield cons - "system QB", bad defenses faced, height, off field attitude/issues

It really is just which concerns/upside resonate the most with you personally. I think all three could be elite, top 8 type starters, but all three could also "bust" to one degree or another.

Rosen has a better arm than Darnold. Agree with a lot of that in the main though.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Moot point really, both are quality arms but nowhere near top tier.

Both have more than enough to be considered “professional quality”.

I agree. But I think Rosen's arm is actually being underrated because he doesn't look like he should throw it well and Darnold's arm is being overrated because he looks like he should.

Being completely honest, I haven't seen Darnold throw the ball 60 yards. I've seen him push it 55 with everything behind it and then ball flattened by the end. I've seen Rosen throw 60 with more velocity and zip.

Just an interesting thing I noticed.

21 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I don’t know if I would go quite that far. Are you a scout with direct knowledge?  Are you Mrs. Dorsey?  Who said Dorsey doesn’t like him?  Walter Football?  Some “unnamed source”?   The point is, like Jim Mora would say, “We really don’t know. We think we know.  We’d like to know, but we really don’t know.” 

In light of that, I do like the scenario you present. 

check the article.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/27/john-dorsey-reportedly-said-he-would-stay-away-from-josh-rosen/

21 hours ago, Mind Character said:

SIGH......

And so it begins....

Just as a show of hands...

If your in the Mayfield number 1 camp,

1. Were you a goff or Wentz guy?

2. Were you a Davis Webb guy?

3. Who did you like most out of Trubisky, Deshaun, or Mahomes?

I'm a Baker at #2 guy

1. Goff

2. No

3. Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes in that order. Woulda been happy with any of the 3 at the pick traded to Houston.

if the giants don't come in offering a haul for #1, I will happily celebrate the Browns selection of Sam though.

id just like a haul of picks etc  and Baker a bit more

Archived