Dom Capers will not return next year

jiggad369

5 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Tweet (not mine) that is dead-on.

I do think MM should answer more media questions. He chirps about accountability, and then avoids answering questions about it. That said, no coach in the world is going to open up Pandora's box with regard to personnel or coaching staff. No different than you not wanting your boss going public at your workplace about your job security.

Capers had been a HC previously before being DC for the Pack....so that criteria is not fact based of being afraid of hiring ex-HC's

Secondly hiring a DC that can give a look at talent and then flush some who he doesn't think fit? WOW does anyone feel this is how the Packers roll?

Ted and Mac are dictators in their own world of the Packers organization 

McCarthy will take his own sweet time if nothing else to show fans and writers he is in charge

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's a national holiday guys. Coaches, players, and media are all off today. I'd be shocked if anything is announced today.

This isn't true at all. NFL teams are having meetings and making changes as we speak. 

Can't wait until Fangio is scooped up by someone else because McCarthy is having a hard time DOING HIS JOB and firing Capers. 

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

This isn't true at all. NFL teams are having meetings and making changes as we speak. 

Can't wait until Fangio is scooped up by someone else because McCarthy is having a hard time DOING HIS JOB and firing Capers. 

MM might be negotiating with Fangio right now. Maybe he wants a place to land (Fangio, or someone else) before he leaps (fires Capers). Look before you leap! We can only hope. :S

48 minutes ago, Slinky said:

You have such a thumb on the pulse of the NFL it's uncanny.

Your blind trust and admiration for a 2nd rate journalist is humorous.

Edited by incognito_man

1 hour ago, Slinky said:

I love this board. If you're a new guy and have a different opinion than the majority, you're an idiot. Even the mod Raymond has attacked me when he disagrees with my opinions.

Good stuff!

I don't recall calling you an idiot. In fact, I asked you an extremely specif question which you chose not to answer and instead pretend to be a victim. 

In fact, here's the quote if you lost it somehow.

I suppose I should ask the question to gauge where your expectations are, is there anybody that should not be fired in your opinion? Players, Coaches, Management?

1 hour ago, Slinky said:

BTW, I'd gauge Gruden's interest and replace Mac with him if he was interested. 

Why?

Gruden won one championship in his first year with the Bucs being carried by a defense created by Tony Dungy.

He then proceeded to go:

2003: 7-9

2004: 5-11

2005: 11-5 (Lost in the Wildcard)

2006: 4-12

2007: 9-7 (Lost in the Wildcard)

2008: 9-7 (Missed Playoffs)

+++

His time in Oakland was better, but not as good as McCarthy's tenure here:

8-8

8-8

12-4 (Lost in AFCCG)

10-6 (Lost in divisional round

+++

Do people seriously not remember how insane Gruden is? How he horribly mismanaged his roster and was considered an underachiever when he finally left the NFL??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

John Fox, Jack Del Rio -- these guys slot in for me as a similar type of coach.  I think @HorizontoZenith brought up the good point that these are "ambitious" types who have already been "successful" head coaches.  I would guess McCarthy steers clear of these guys given that they have such extensive and successful coaching experience that they might be perceived as a threat to Mac's job. 

I don't think anyone has mentioned Fox, but he is a very good defensive coach, and one I would prefer over Del Rio in a vacuum.

Gus Bradley - while he has HC experience, it wasn't a successful stint.  he might get another shot, but it will be more the road of Hue Jackson, a guy who failed at HC, then was a very successful position coach and coordinator.  It doesn't look like he will move jobs though.

Another former HC- Jim Tomsula might be a more hard-nosed type which is the vibe most feel this team is lacking.  He is DL coach in washington.  He never got a fair shake after a collapse in SF.

Strongly disagree with this take. Capers was a former HC when fired. McCarthy/Thompson/Murphy better not have the relationship where they're worried about getting stabbed in the back like this. I highly doubt that's the case considering how this organization has operated for a long time. 

If you want to make the argument that McCarthy stays away from the former HC because he worries about their willingness to put in the necessary work to what they perceive as a role that's beneath them, or is worried about their long term investment in the program, I could see the logic there, but I'm not seeing him being worried about being part of a coup by his DC.

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't recall calling you an idiot. In fact, I asked you an extremely specif question which you chose not to answer and instead pretend to be a victim. 

In fact, here's the quote if you lost it somehow.

I never quoted you. I'm saying in general. This season. Mostly in the gameday threads. 

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why?

Gruden won one championship in his first year with the Bucs being carried by a defense created by Tony Dungy.

He then proceeded to go:

2003: 7-9

2004: 5-11

2005: 11-5 (Lost in the Wildcard)

2006: 4-12

2007: 9-7 (Lost in the Wildcard)

2008: 9-7 (Missed Playoffs)

+++

His time in Oakland was better, but not as good as McCarthy's tenure here:

8-8

8-8

12-4 (Lost in AFCCG)

10-6 (Lost in divisional round

+++

Do people seriously not remember how insane Gruden is? How he horribly mismanaged his roster and was considered an underachiever when he finally left the NFL??

Tell me how Bill Belichick did in his 5 seasons as Cleveland's head coach. Good thing he got another shot, eh???

Gruden was 100 times more successful in his previous stint than Belichick was in Cleveland. Also, Belichick cut Kosar, which was a major fail.

3 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Tell me how Bill Belichick did in his 5 seasons as Cleveland's head coach. Good thing he got another shot, eh???

Gruden was 100 times more successful in his previous stint than Belichick was in Cleveland. Also, Belichick cut Kosar, which was a major fail.

Gruden has had two shots already?

He drove a talented Tampa Bay team into the ground in his second year there