Dom Capers will not return next year

jiggad369

10 hours ago, Slinky said:

Absolutely. But he gets all bitchy at reporters doing their jobs, asking fair questions. Like I said, he's a big baby that cannot handle pressure. Great trait for a head coach.

You mean just like most recent NFL Super Bowl Winning coaches? Patriots, Seahawks, Saints and more have gotten upset and been babies when reporters do their job. 

Of course sometimes the reporters do a bad job too, like asking the same dang questions in different ways... but it's the same question already answered... like when MM got upset about the Kapernick question... that was getting upset about the same dang question being asked that he just answered.

10 hours ago, jleisher said:

What about Ohio State DC Greg Schiano?  Would he be a good fit?

According to reports, Schiano really struggled with connecting with pro players when he had the Buccaneers job. Veteran players were claiming he was treating them like 18 year old freshman, and they basically seemed to rejected him. I haven't seen anything like that before.

Though I would be interested in checking out Ohio States CB coach (as a position coach), they just keep coming out with good CB after good CB lately. Though their latest one might be under 5'10" and so a bit less interesting for the pro game but still.

5 hours ago, MathMan said:

Im not suggesting him, but wondering on everyones take of snagging Jack del Rio.

I seem to recall him laughing at a serious Robert Ferguson injury when he coached against us with the Jaguars a long time ago.  I think it would be a little weird. 

10 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Assuming Capers is fired and a new DC comes in from outside the organization, I hope he has free rein to provide input on existing personnel as well as the defensive personnel going forward.

If for example, the new DC would conclude a Packer defender does not fit in his scheme or just plain sucks (we'll just randomly select Kyler Fackrell for this exercise), I genuinely hope his voice is heard and he is not stuck with a player just because that player got time under Dom/was drafted by Ted.

If the D is truly to be transformed at long last, new voices need to be heard.

If he needs guys tailored to fit his scheme, I don't want him.

14 hours ago, Slinky said:

McCarthy swearing and getting all testy at his presser again. xD This guy is so bad under pressure it isn't even funny. 

To me it showed he gives a damn and isn't happy with the way the season went.  It shows he's human too.

10 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Assuming Capers is fired and a new DC comes in from outside the organization, I hope he has free rein to provide input on existing personnel as well as the defensive personnel going forward.

If for example, the new DC would conclude a Packer defender does not fit in his scheme or just plain sucks (we'll just randomly select Kyler Fackrell for this exercise), I genuinely hope his voice is heard and he is not stuck with a player just because that player got time under Dom/was drafted by Ted.

If the D is truly to be transformed at long last, new voices need to be heard.

I would think a new DC would have free rein.  Didn't Dom?

You're up early, Pugger! You must want to make full use of 2018. As for MM's presser, it must be hard to face reporters right after he just had his *** handed to him. Grace Kelly defined class as grace under pressure. The worse anyone can accuse MM of is lacking class. I think he cares passionately about the team and about winning. But I think sometimes he is his own worst enemy. On this point, two things come to mind. First was his decision to try a 57 yard field goal at Heinz Field. I think that was the turning point of that game. Punt the Steelers in the hole and there was a fair chance we squeak out a win. The second was his decision to come out slinging against Baltimore's very good secondary. Hundley clearly doesn't have the arm for that and MM should've known that. If he game plans a run heavy approach with enough short to medium passes to keep the Raven's defense honest, we might squeak out another win. With those two wins, we're still playing for something against Minnesota and Detroit. I could bring up some more examples of MM being his own worst enemy, but you get the point. All of this makes me wonder sometimes if MM isn't our very own Marty Schottenheimer. And maybe it's time to move on. I think it was Bill Walsh who said no one should coach a team for more than 10  years. I have mixed feelings. There's so many things to consider. Bringing in a new coach and new system at this point in Rodger's career might be problematic. The safest route at this point might be to keep MM with the condition that he needs to retool his coaching staff on both sides of the ball. New OC and DC, and then let them evaluate their assistants and bring in new position coaches, if they desire. One thing for sure, Minnesota and possibly Detroit are going to be real threats for the foreseeable future. Standing pat and riding Rodger's arm is not an option.

45 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You're up early, Pugger! You must want to make full use of 2018. As for MM's presser, it must be hard to face reporters right after he just had his *** handed to him. Grace Kelly defined class as grace under pressure. The worse anyone can accuse MM of is lacking class. I think he cares passionately about the team and about winning. But I think sometimes he is his own worst enemy. On this point, two things come to mind. First was his decision to try a 57 yard field goal at Heinz Field. I think that was the turning point of that game. Punt the Steelers in the hole and there was a fair chance we squeak out a win. The second was his decision to come out slinging against Baltimore's very good secondary. Hundley clearly doesn't have the arm for that and MM should've known that. If he game plans a run heavy approach with enough short to medium passes to keep the Raven's defense honest, we might squeak out another win. With those two wins, we're still playing for something against Minnesota and Detroit. I could bring up some more examples of MM being his own worst enemy, but you get the point. All of this makes me wonder sometimes if MM isn't our very own Marty Schottenheimer. And maybe it's time to move on. I think it was Bill Walsh who said no one should coach a team for more than 10  years. I have mixed feelings. There's so many things to consider. Bringing in a new coach and new system at this point in Rodger's career might be problematic. The safest route at this point might be to keep MM with the condition that he needs to retool his coaching staff on both sides of the ball. New OC and DC, and then let them evaluate their assistants and bring in new position coaches, if they desire. One thing for sure, Minnesota and possibly Detroit are going to be real threats for the foreseeable future. Standing pat and riding Rodger's arm is not an option.

But even if we won those 2 games and squeaked into the playoffs I seriously doubt we'd go anywhere anyway so missing the playoffs, getting a draft pick in the teens and perhaps hiring a new DC might be just the elixir to be force in the this league again starting in 2018.

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I keep checking everywhere like ten times a minute hoping to find this turn official.  The longer it waits, the longer I feel like Capers found some compromising information on Mark Murphy. 

I'm beginning to think Dom isn't going anywhere too.  :(

I don't think we will hear anything on Dom Capers until later this afternoon and maybe not until tomorrow.  Its just the way McCarthy works.  He is a very loyal guy to his coaches and I think he finds change very hard to make.

There are two defensive coordinators I'm interested in.  The first would be Paul Guenther, the defensive coordinator with the Bengals.  He is a Mike Zimmer prodigy and approximately 45 years old.  I think he has done a good job with the Bengals.  The second would be James Bettcher, the defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals.  He is young (39 years old) and mentored under Todd Bowles, his strength is putting together defenses that maximize the personnel given to him.

Edited by minnypackerfan