Dom Capers will not return next year

jiggad369

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do you think Belichick is the norm??????

This is the freaking problem with so many of the "Fire Everyone" crowd. You seem to think that not being the Patriots means you should fire everyone.

I constantly wonder if attitudes on here would be different if these Packers didn't exist in the same time as Belichick's Pats

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Strongly disagree with this take. Capers was a former HC when fired. McCarthy/Thompson/Murphy better not have the relationship where they're worried about getting stabbed in the back like this. I highly doubt that's the case considering how this organization has operated for a long time. 

If you want to make the argument that McCarthy stays away from the former HC because he worries about their willingness to put in the necessary work to what they perceive as a role that's beneath them, or is worried about their long term investment in the program, I could see the logic there, but I'm not seeing him being worried about being part of a coup by his DC.

the situation is very different now than when he hired capers.  Mac is successful and not a new coach; he's also more on the hot seat now than when he hired Capers.  I mis-spoke about threat to his job.  I didn't mean it in the sense of actual job security like these guys would become HC of the packers and usurp McCarthy.

I'm much more worried about a HC turned coordinator being harder to work with and more set in their ways.  Potentially undermining Mac's authority within the locker room, or not "following orders" because they think they know or actually do know better.

Mac needs to be the leader of the team, full stop.  Those types of coaches potentially put that into question.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

the situation is very different now than when he hired capers.  Mac is successful and not a new coach; he's also more on the hot seat now than when he hired Capers.  I mis-spoke about threat to his job.  I didn't mean it in the sense of actual job security like these guys would become HC of the packers and usurp McCarthy.

I'm much more worried about a HC turned coordinator being harder to work with and more set in their ways.  Potentially undermining Mac's authority within the locker room, or not "following orders" because they think they know or actually do know better.

Mac needs to be the leader of the team, full stop.  Those types of coaches potentially put that into question.

That's a valid point. I think McCarthy's organization structure reduces that to some extent. 

Whoever we bring in will likely be the Head Coach of the Defense and McCarthy isn't going to be involved.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's a valid point. I think McCarthy's organization structure reduces that to some extent. 

Whoever we bring in will likely be the Head Coach of the Defense and McCarthy isn't going to be involved.

Yeah.  I'm a little hungover and mixing my thoughts up with the other thread, so for some reason I'm assuming the Mac is taking control of the Defense with this hire.  That's probably not the case in reality though. 

And if he's going with a "Head Coach" of the defense, I like going with an experienced guy just as much as an "up and comer", but it's much harder to hire an "up and comer" because they will either be looking for a HC position, or unavailable and under contract.

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I want to keep Whitt, Moss, Trg.

After HHCD and Brice significantly regressing, Perry can go.

Not sure on Trg, but I'd like to turn over Whitt and MOss, too. 

1.  Always hard to fix the blame, but given how bad the secondary has been for a while, and how limited the improvement has been from some fast guys, not sure that sticking status-quo with Whitt is going to help.  Packers zone has struggled for years and years; I'd like to take a new shot with new secondary ideas and management.  

2.  I'd also think that if he was persuasive, that he might also have had more effective input into the overall secondary alignments, including the intersection of corner with safety play, and the balance between zone and press.  

3.  I think it's best if a new coordinator has considerable/complete authority to hire guys he wants.  Guys who maybe already know his system, and who he knows and trusts.  If he wants to keep Whitt, fine.  But if he's got a guy who he knows is smart, who can teach, who works really hard, and who he knows can really motivate, don't think it makes sense to hire a new guy but then not allow him to bring in the assistants he wants.  

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think it's more likely that it means the decision was made to move on from Capers earlier in the season.

Agree.  Suspect that at some point, when the Packers were repeatedly unable to put 11 defenders on the field, MM recognized that something wasn't good enough in the leadership on the defensive side, and that it was going to be time to get a new captain to run that ship.  Suspect he's known for some weeks that he was going to make a change.  

11 minutes ago, Slinky said:

Can't believe they fired Dom when all the NFL offices are closed for the day because it's New Years. ^_^

lol what a bait post. 

Anyways, glad to finally see some movement on this site. It's been long over due. Looking forward to seeing who they get in to replace Dom!