With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Just so I'm on record, here's what I would do at #5:

1) Darnold/Allen if one is available

2) Trade Back if we can get 2 1sts +

3) Nelson

4) Chubb

Mayfield is off of my board and I wouldn't take Rosen at 5. IF we trade back and he fell to 12 I'd take him. I don't want my only 1st rounder to be a guy who I think will medically retire within 5 years. 

Good to see you around UK.

Interested in your thoughts re: Allen. Why so high on him?

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Klis just released his top 5 - there is zero chance he didn’t get this from Elway.   

Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Barkley and Chubb.  It’s not in any order but that’s a top 5 without Nelson or Rosen.  Man.  

It’s no doubt leaked from Elway - but the smokescreen angle is possible.   I hope so because Allen-DEN seems most likely there at 1.5.  

PLEASE let this be smokescreen. 

This is a little disconcerting. My top 6, in order, are: Darnold, Barkley, Chubb, Rosen, Nelson, Allen. Troubling to see two of those six not on the list. I know what @broncos_fan _from _uk said about Rosen's body type and concussion history, and they're valid concerns, but to see Nelson not on Elway's top-5 and Mayfield there over Rosen and Allen is very troubling. 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

This is definitely interesting. I guess it doesn't really tell us anything we don't know. I think trading down is going to be a very real possibility though. It will obviously depend on how things fall. I do find it interesting that Darnold is speculated as our #1 QB. Can't say I dislike that. 

Honestly, I think trading down is the most likely outcome Thursday night. I'm not wild about it but, given the holes we have all over the roster, I guess landing 2-3 good prospects can be as good as landing one great prospect. 

My Broncos beat writer friend told me a couple weeks ago that Darnold is No. 1 on our board and by a fairly wide margin. 

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is a little disconcerting. My top 6, in order, are: Darnold, Barkley, Chubb, Rosen, Nelson, Allen. Troubling to see two of those six not on the list. I know what @broncos_fan _from _uk said about Rosen's body type and concussion history, and they're valid concerns, but to see Nelson not on Elway's top-5 and Mayfield there over Rosen and Allen is very troubling. 

18 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Honestly, I think trading down is the most likely outcome Thursday night. I'm not wild about it but, given the holes we have all over the roster, I guess landing 2-3 good prospects can be as good as landing one great prospect. 

My Broncos beat writer friend told me a couple weeks ago that Darnold is No. 1 on our board and by a fairly wide margin. 

If Rosen and Nelson aren't even in our top 5...man, trading down starts to look a LOT more appealing.

I really hope that top 5 list is a smokescreen.  I mean, as much as @AKRNA and I/others like @broncos67 have debated the value of OL vs. Rosen/Darnold, or others have debated Chubb vs. Nelson....I can't believe Nelson doesn't make a top 5 list.    That's VERY troubling if that's a legitimate DEN draft list.   It falls right in line with the criticism that Elway goes by positional need in ranking his list rather than overall BPA alone. 

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Just so I'm on record, here's what I would do at #5:

1) Darnold/Allen if one is available

2) Trade Back if we can get 2 1sts +

3) Nelson

4) Chubb

Mayfield is off of my board and I wouldn't take Rosen at 5. IF we trade back and he fell to 12 I'd take him. I don't want my only 1st rounder to be a guy who I think will medically retire within 5 years. 

This is pretty much where I come down as well.  I think you and I Josh are the two members here who are the highest on Josh Allen. I personally wouldn't have an issue if we took him at No. 5 and, while I wouldn't love it, even if we traded up for him.  We're also in agreement, along with several other FF veterans, on Mayfield. 

Curious where you have Barkley? I wouldn't mind taking him at No. 5 but I do get the argument that RB at No. 5 is bad value and with the depth in this class we can get someone in the second who won't be Barkley but can be a difference-making player for us. 

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Rosen and Nelson aren't even in our top 5...man, trading down starts to look a LOT more appealing.

I really hope that top 5 list is a smokescreen.  I mean, as much as @AKRNA and I have debated the value of OL vs. Rosen/Darnold....I can't believe Nelson doesn't make a top 5 list.    That's VERY troubling if that's a legitimate DEN draft list.   It falls right in line with the criticism that Elway goes by positional need in ranking his list rather than overall BPA alone. 

That really makes you question our big board doesn't it? Whether or not you think we should draft Nelson at 5, not having him on the top 5 list is bizarre.

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That really makes you question our big board doesn't it? Whether or not you think we should draft Nelson at 5, not having him on the top 5 list is bizarre.

Well, you know my biggest beef about Elway's Day 2 draft history is his history of reaching badly for guys way ahead of where they were slotted to go (plus going for insane physical-tools, little-to-zero football skills profile, but that's separate from this issue lol).   This big board for the top 5 really worries me, because if it's not a smokescreen, then there is some SERIOUS devaluation of positions and lack of recognition of talent.  Nelson is the safest prospect in the draft, with an All-Pro ceiling.  Jeezus.  

It's bad when I have to hope that Klis' draft board is an Elway-driven smokescreen for draft misinformation.  The alternative explanation is just plain scary to consider (our revamped FO still sucks at draft evaluation, especially at big board ranking).

P.S.  If it were to come out later that Elway really saw the tier as 6-deep, and Nelson was neck and neck with Chubb/Barkley...that's better.  But if this is a cut-and-dried, no question-we-don't-even-consider-Nelson....man.  And if he sees Rosen as well behind those other 3 QB's.... Jeeeeeez-us.

47 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Good to see you around UK.

Interested in your thoughts re: Allen. Why so high on him?

I fully admit it’s a bias from spending time with the kid. I was the AF sports Doc in the Wyoming sidelines when they played at USAFA this past fall and when he got hurt. What I saw impressed me. The kid obviously knew both his playbook and his opponent inside and out. He was coaching his backup. He was a true leader and had the respect of everyone on that sideline. 

The incompletions are concerning but I’m looking into the context of it.  A lot of his incompletions were the result of his receivers running the wrong routes. Their offense has a lot of route tree options (similar to an NFL offense). He talked about throwing with anticipation when a receiver makes his cut but he definitely was sight throwing out there. I’m not sure if that’s his instincts taking over or waiting to make sure his teammates made the correct read. I’m more willling to forgive a guy who is trying to win football games and makes mistakes when pressing rather than one who just doesn’t know how to read the field.

The improvement he showed between the end of the season and the senior bowl and then the senior bowl and the combine in his footwork shows me a kid who works hard and takes coaching well (aka not Paxton Lynch)

maybe I’m also biased by the Tom vs Time documentary but I want a QB who eat sleep and breathes football. This kid does. 

38 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is pretty much where I come down as well.  I think you and I Josh are the two members here who are the highest on Josh Allen. I personally wouldn't have an issue if we took him at No. 5 and, while I wouldn't love it, even if we traded up for him.  We're also in agreement, along with several other FF veterans, on Mayfield. 

Curious where you have Barkley? I wouldn't mind taking him at No. 5 but I do get the argument that RB at No. 5 is bad value and with the depth in this class we can get someone in the second who won't be Barkley but can be a difference-making player for us. 

That’s exactly my reasoning re: Barkley. Everyone says he’s a generational talent. Of course they said the same thing about fournette...and Zeke..

This is a deep RB class. I wouldn’t be upset with the pick, I would just rather one of the other 5 scenarios happen.

1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I fully admit it’s a bias from spending time with the kid. I was the AF sports Doc in the Wyoming sidelines when they played at USAFA this past fall and when he got hurt. What I saw impressed me. The kid obviously knew both his playbook and his opponent inside and out. He was coaching his backup. He was a true leader and had the respect of everyone on that sideline. 

The incompletions are concerning but I’m looking into the context of it.  A lot of his incompletions were the result of his receivers running the wrong routes. Their offense has a lot of route tree options (similar to an NFL offense). He talked about throwing with anticipation when a receiver makes his cut but he definitely was sight throwing out there. I’m not sure if that’s his instincts taking over or waiting to make sure his teammates made the correct read. I’m more willling to forgive a guy who is trying to win football games and makes mistakes when pressing rather than one who just doesn’t know how to read the field.

The improvement he showed between the end of the season and the senior bowl and then the senior bowl and the combine in his footwork shows me a kid who works hard and takes coaching well (aka not Paxton Lynch)

maybe I’m also biased by the Tom vs Time documentary but I want a QB who eat sleep and breathes football. This kid does. 

That's fantastic insight. I did not realize you were working in that capacity. That's freakin awesome!

Allen is a very Elway prospect. There's an increasing amount of chatter linking him to Denver in the mock draft sphere, so who knows. Allen represents the traditional boom/bust guy that we always seem to fall for at QB. It hasn't worked out yet. Maybe none of these guys work out. Maybe they all do. Who knows?

I do believe Darnold is the #1 prospect. I think he's got everything you would want in a QB. 

I also would caveat that I'm sure Elway and Co. would agree that Nelson is a stellar player, but if you believe Klis' list (and what the beat guys have been saying), I think the prevailing logic is that we're unlikely to take a guard at 5. Whether you agree/disagree, it seems that's the general consensus.

22 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

That’s exactly my reasoning re: Barkley. Everyone says he’s a generational talent. Of course they said the same thing about fournette...and Zeke..

This is a deep RB class. I wouldn’t be upset with the pick, I would just rather one of the other 5 scenarios happen.

To be fair Zeke is at that level.   FTR I said this last year I wouldn’t have spent a first on anyone.  Including Fournette and CMC. I still think they will be great players but you have to be special to earn the 1st as a RB.   I do think Barkley belongs there.  

But I’d still go franchise QB over Barkley in our case. CLE I think should go Barkley because they can get QB and him.   

Just saw a tweet saying Denver is high on Darnold, Mayfield, and Chubb, and would likely take one of them if they were available at 5. If none are available at 5, Denver would look to trade down.

If you believe that, it would mean Chubb is probably the most likely pick, since I could easily see those two QBs gone by 5.

18 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Just saw a tweet saying Denver is high on Darnold, Mayfield, and Chubb, and would likely take one of them if they were available at 5. If none are available at 5, Denver would look to trade down.

If you believe that, it would mean Chubb is probably the most likely pick, since I could easily see those two QBs gone by 5.

Please JETS do the JETS thing and take Mayfield! I'd be happy with either Darnold or Chubb!

Archived