With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

19 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I disagree 100%. The difference in the game is huge, and not just schematically. The hash marks in college are much wider. "So what?" well it allows for college QBs to see 70-80% of the field without turning their head. Compare that to the NFL where the hash marks are so narrow you have to make 3 distinct reads.

When you play in a spread offense, the OCs scheme to win in college, which means that the 1 or two reads will be on the same side of the field. Now you have a QB who doesn't have to move his head, doesn't have to drop back (all timing routes in the NFL are based off of the drop back, even from shot gun), doesn't have to control a huddle.

Throw in the other differences that all QBS have to adjust to (smaller windows, less time before the ball needs to be out of your hand, faster defenders) It's why spread QBs have a much higher bust rate.  Sure they can be successful their first year if they have a great NFL OC (Vince Young, RGIII, maybe Watson) but are rarely successful long term, especially if they have to start early.

It's why I would never take a spread QB in the 1st round. 

Agree with the above.  Only 1 qualifier - Young and RGIII succeeded year 1 because of their insane athleticism.   Once teams got film and found ways to limit that they struggled.   Watson’s 2017 success was because his QB skills of anticipation vision and pocket awareness were much better than advertised.   The reason why it was unexpected because we never got a chance to see how much he used those skills in the spread O. 

The spread O doesn’t allow us to evaluate those key QB skills enough in a pro-level projection.   It’s why I’m so torn in Mayfield. Totally agree on that point about pro vs. spread O’s.  

6 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13124/denzel-ward

Draft day report stating Broncos "in love" with Denzel Ward.  

Hopefully only if we traded down. I like the player, but not at 5.  Don't really see the need for a R1 CB anyway.

WR, RB and CB are not where we need to prioritize anywhere in Rd1 (OK, maybe Ward 1.12, but even then Vea is a much better value with a later CB pick than vice versa IMO) - the dropoff in Rd 2 for CB, and Rd2-3 for RB/WR, is so freaking small.   If we go in any of those directions with a Rd1 pick, it's nothing but pure confirmation that our college scouting team and process are completely broken.   It would also eliminate all doubt that Elway still goes by need rather than by a big board overall BPA if we went with any of those guys in Rd 1, and Ward 1.5.

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

WR, RB and CB are not where we need to prioritize anywhere in Rd1 (OK, maybe Ward 1.12, but even then Vea is a much better value with a later CB pick than vice versa IMO) - the dropoff in Rd 2 for CB, and Rd2-3 for RB/WR, is so freaking small.   If we go in any of those directions with a Rd1 pick, it's nothing but pure confirmation that our college scouting team and process are completely broken.   It would also eliminate all doubt that Elway still goes by need rather than by a big board overall BPA if we went with any of those guys in Rd 1, and Ward 1.5.

If Elway goes CB in R1 I don't think that's confirmation that he doesn't draft BPA.  Quite the opposite as there's no need whatsoever to go CB that early.  It would confirm that he's completely enamored with the CB position.  Has he had a draft without taking a CB since he's been here?

15 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13124/denzel-ward

Draft day report stating Broncos "in love" with Denzel Ward.  

Hopefully only if we traded down. I like the player, but not at 5.  Don't really see the need for a R1 CB anyway.

If you're taking a CB in the top 5, he better be an elite, shut down potential kind of guy.  Ward is a nice player, but he's not what I described.  Only way i'm comfortable with getting him is if we trade down and get another 1st in the process.  Even then, as infrequent as we pick in the top 5, I would be disappointed to not come away with someone I would consider a "blue chip" type of prospect.

1 minute ago, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

If you're taking a CB in the top 5, he better be an elite, shut down potential kind of guy.  Ward is a nice player, but he's not what I described.  Only way i'm comfortable with getting him is if we trade down and get another 1st in the process.  Even then, as infrequent as we pick in the top 5, I would be disappointed to not come away with someone I would consider a "blue chip" type of prospect.

Agree, I think there are 3 blue chip prospects.  Barkley, Chubb and Nelson.  I would never take Barkley or any other RB in the top 5.  But if Chubb or Nelson were there, I'd be incredibly disappointed if we kept the pick and passed up one of those two.

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

I wouldn't mind Ward at all at 12. He's a damn fine player. Sticky, slot corner, great technique. You can't have enough CBs, and hell, we won a SB because of the CBs we had (and pass rush).

Yea, fine with him in a trade back, even if I disagree with the need level, if he's the BPA at 12ish, then I'm for it.  I'd have a problem with it at 5 though.

2 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

If Elway goes CB in R1 I don't think that's confirmation that he doesn't draft BPA.  Quite the opposite as there's no need whatsoever to go CB that early.  It would confirm that he's completely enamored with the CB position.  Has he had a draft without taking a CB since he's been here?

Either way, though, it's a problem if it creates major gaps in value.   Whether it's calling it need, or prioritizing other positions - there's no need to go CB Rd1 (or Ward 1.5), the alternatives in Rd2 make waiting very palatable.  But that's Elway's other problem besides picking out of need (or overvaluing some positions by crazy amounts) - he locks into having to get 'his' guy.  No matter how the board is falling.     It's why we see so many Day 2 reaches for guys 1-2 rounds (or worse) too soon.

3 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I wouldn't mind Ward at all at 12. He's a damn fine player. Sticky, slot corner, great technique. You can't have enough CBs, and hell, we won a SB because of the CBs we had (and pass rush).

We're just so damn far away from being good, having three really good corners is kind of a luxury selection for me. But I do agree that it is key to having a super bowl contender. 

3 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Agree, I think there are 3 blue chip prospects.  Barkley, Chubb and Nelson.  I would never take Barkley or any other RB in the top 5.  But if Chubb or Nelson were there, I'd be incredibly disappointed if we kept the pick and passed up one of those two.

I feel like we're gonna pass on Nelson. 

With the strength of the interior OL in this draft I think Elway believes he has the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone in this draft if he gets a trade back with Buffalo.  There are several guards in the 20's who can step right into the starting lineup, which would allow him to get his annual CB with the earlier pick.  

If, in fact, Cleveland takes Mayfield, the board *could* be very interesting for us. Consider this:

1. CLE- Mayfield

2. NYG- Darnold

3. NYJ- Rosen

4. CLE- (trade w/ someone for Allen?, or Chubb/Barkley)

5. DEN- could either get Chubb/Barkley or trade

I don't think this is that ridiculous of a scenario to be honest.

Archived