With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

2 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

Same, but more mocks I've read have us taking Nelson at 5 than not so I'm holding out hope lol.

I'd be fine with it, but I'm still holding out hope this is a Rosen-led smokescreen, or the Mayfield 1.1 talk is real enough and Jets then veer to Rosen 1.3, with NYG taking Barkley 1.2.

In that event the white-whale scenario of Darnold to us (likely would have to give up 3.99 and maybe a 5th or 2019 4th at 1.4, CLE will be talking to other teams to move back, but if they want Chubb, that would do it, 3.99 alone is book, but likely we pay a little more).

I won't believe Darnold isn't going 1.1 until I hear the pick's in - but then the next-to-impossible scenario where Darnold is actually reachable becomes possible.  It then falls to how the Jets see the QB board.

4 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If, in fact, Cleveland takes Mayfield, the board *could* be very interesting for us. Consider this:

1. CLE- Mayfield

2. NYG- Darnold

3. NYJ- Rosen

4. CLE- (trade w/ someone for Allen?, or Chubb/Barkley)

5. DEN- could either get Chubb/Barkley or trade

I don't think this is that ridiculous of a scenario to be honest.

Or if NYG still go Barkley we could get Darnold (a man can dream)

9 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If, in fact, Cleveland takes Mayfield, the board *could* be very interesting for us. Consider this:

1. CLE- Mayfield

2. NYG- Darnold

3. NYJ- Rosen

4. CLE- (trade w/ someone for Allen?, or Chubb/Barkley)

5. DEN- could either get Chubb/Barkley or trade

I don't think this is that ridiculous of a scenario to be honest.

I'm shocked mayfield is going 1. And Gentleman has talked up barkley so much he has to take him lol.

5 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Or if NYG still go Barkley we could get Darnold (a man can dream)

I would be thrilled if that happened. I could conceivably see it, but honestly I think if Darnold is there at 4, the Bills make the move for him.

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

WR, RB and CB are not where we need to prioritize anywhere in Rd1 (OK, maybe Ward 1.12, but even then Vea is a much better value with a later CB pick than vice versa IMO) - the dropoff in Rd 2 for CB, and Rd2-3 for RB/WR, is so freaking small.   If we go in any of those directions with a Rd1 pick, it's nothing but pure confirmation that our college scouting team and process are completely broken.   It would also eliminate all doubt that Elway still goes by need rather than by a big board overall BPA if we went with any of those guys in Rd 1, and Ward 1.5.

Again I would love Rosen at 5.  And I would gladly take Nelson but it seems there isn't much talk of this.  Personally if he is thinking D and is thinking Ward at 5 I would take VEA over Ward right there.  I got a crappy feeling about tonight.  I hope I'm wrong and even if we end up with Allen I guess I have no choice but to be on board - on board with whoever we take.

4 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

Again I would love Rosen at 5.  And I would gladly take Nelson but it seems there isn't much talk of this.  Personally if he is thinking D and is thinking Ward at 5 I would take VEA over Ward right there.  I got a crappy feeling about tonight.  I hope I'm wrong and even if we end up with Allen I guess I have no choice but to be on board - on board with whoever we take.

If Klis & Allbright are to be believed, Rosen is off our board.  No reason to mistrust them - unless it's a smokescreen being fed to them, we know it's coming from Dove Valley.   

I'd have no problem with any of Chubb/Nelson/Darnold/Rosen at 1.5 (I think Barkley to 1.2 is happening), but I think Rosen's ship has sailed - which is why I'm hoping Jets love him.   That opens the door to a 1.4 Darnold scenario if CLE passes on him at 1.1 - which would be quite affordable, esp. since CLE would only be doing this if they still wanted Chubb (otherwise if they wanted other guys who would fall later, they'd just talk with BUF).

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Klis & Allbright are to be believed, Rosen is off our board.  No reason to mistrust them - unless it's a smokescreen being fed to them, we know it's coming from Dove Valley.   

I'd have no problem with any of Chubb/Nelson/Darnold/Rosen at 1.5 (I think Barkley to 1.2 is happening), but I think Rosen's ship has sailed - which is why I'm hoping Jets love him.   That opens the door to a 1.4 Darnold scenario if CLE passes on him at 1.1 - which would be quite affordable, esp. since CLE would only be doing this if they still wanted Chubb (otherwise if they wanted other guys who would fall later, they'd just talk with BUF).

If Darnold is there at 1.4 I see Cleveland trading down with Buffalo.  Of course we may be in play for that pick too - trading up for Darnold with CLE but I wouldn't want to get in a bidding war with what Buff can offer because they are a pos **** team that can afford to give a lot up while we are conceivably in the hunt so I wouldn't want to trade a pick like next years first.    

9 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

If Darnold is there at 1.4 I see Cleveland trading down with Buffalo.  Of course we may be in play for that pick too - trading up for Darnold with CLE but I wouldn't want to get in a bidding war with what Buff can offer because they are a pos **** team that can afford to give a lot up while we are conceivably in the hunt so I wouldn't want to trade a pick like next years first.    

We wouldn't be trading our 1st for a 1-spot move up.   Even 2.40 is too much.    

Remember if CLE wants Chubb badly, they'll deal with us.  If they want a CB later in the early teen's, they'll deal with BUF.   The price difference will reflect the move-back distance and lack of alternatives.

Ironically, while I've been pointing out that a QB-trade back scenario we don't have as much leverage because teams like IND/TAM/CHI/SF won't mind moving back, so we can't apply leverage - if CLE wants to keep Chubb, we're the only game in town.  IND doesn't want to trade up, but they'd do cartwheels if they got Chubb.   Roquan is their plan B if Chubb is gone IMO.  CLE moves anywhere but 1.5 with Chubb on the board, IMO IND will run to the podium to take him.   

So while a trade with BUF/ARI we can't apply a ton of leverage, as there are other teams willing to move back for 2 1sts alone just behind us, if it's CLE who wants to keep Chubb, we're their only market to get any extra value - so a CLE-DEN pick swap won't be crazy price-wise, because we can apply the leverage that any trade-back deal with another team costs them Chubb.   If they don't want Chubb (and want a CB or T), then they will simply take the much higher return from the later teams - but given how many picks they have, and win-now mode is officially here, I think if Chubb and Darnold are on the board at 1.4, there's a very realisitic scenario where a CLE-DEN trade-back that's actually very close to book value happens.    If it's any other QB left but Darnold, though, I'd bet Elway stands pat.  

The one thing about Ward is maybe the FO isn't confident in Roby being able to step up to a #1 CB.  If they're not expecting him to resign after this year then it makes a ton more sense to get the best cover guy you can.  

I do get the worries about #5 though, if he is the pick I'm hoping Elway finds a way to trade back a little bit

Just now, broncofan48 said:

The one thing about Ward is maybe the FO isn't confident in Roby being able to step up to a #1 CB.  If they're not expecting him to resign after this year then it makes a ton more sense to get the best cover guy you can.  

I do get the worries about #5 though, if he is the pick I'm hoping Elway finds a way to trade back a little bit

Ward is a CHJ clone. I think if we draft ward it means we don't re-sign CHJ after next season.

5 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Ward is a CHJ clone. I think if we draft ward it means we don't re-sign CHJ after next season.

That actually makes some sense, but I really like CHJ and would love to keep him.

That would be Pats model of letting a guy go early before he declines and collecting the comp pick.  

Archived