With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

We wouldn't be trading our 1st for a 1-spot move up.   Even 2.40 is too much.    

Remember if CLE wants Chubb badly, they'll deal with us.  If they want a CB later in the early teen's, they'll deal with BUF.   The price difference will reflect the move-back distance and lack of alternatives.

Ironically, while I've been pointing out that a QB-trade back scenario we don't have as much leverage because teams like IND/TAM/CHI/SF won't mind moving back, so we can't apply leverage - if CLE wants to keep Chubb, we're the only game in town.  IND doesn't want to trade up, but they'd do cartwheels if they got Chubb.   Roquan is their plan B if Chubb is gone IMO.  CLE moves anywhere but 1.5 with Chubb on the board, IMO IND will run to the podium to take him.   

So while a trade with BUF/ARI we can't apply a ton of leverage, as there are other teams willing to move back for 2 1sts alone just behind us, if it's CLE who wants to keep Chubb, we're their only market to get any extra value - so a CLE-DEN pick swap won't be crazy price-wise, because we can apply the leverage that any trade-back deal with another team costs them Chubb.   If they don't want Chubb (and want a CB or T), then they will simply take the much higher return from the later teams - but given how many picks they have, and win-now mode is officially here, I think if Chubb and Darnold are on the board at 1.4, there's a very realisitic scenario where a CLE-DEN trade-back that's actually very close to book value happens.    If it's any other QB left but Darnold, though, I'd bet Elway stands pat.  

If Darnold & Chubb are there and DEN/CLE want to do a pick swap I'd be all of offering up 3.99 or something to get it done

10 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

The one thing about Ward is maybe the FO isn't confident in Roby being able to step up to a #1 CB.  If they're not expecting him to resign after this year then it makes a ton more sense to get the best cover guy you can.  

I do get the worries about #5 though, if he is the pick I'm hoping Elway finds a way to trade back a little bit

9 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Ward is a CHJ clone. I think if we draft ward it means we don't re-sign CHJ after next season.

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

That actually makes some sense, but I really like CHJ and would love to keep him.

That would be Pats model of letting a guy go early before he declines and collecting the comp pick.  

Anyone else see the irony in CHJ pimping hard on Twitter not to take a QB Rd1 - only to see his replacement get picked?  

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

If Darnold & Chubb are there and DEN/CLE want to do a pick swap I'd be all of offering up 3.99 or something to get it done

I get this thinking and never really thought of the possibility it could be quite cheap for us.  This excites me because yeah a trade with Buffalo means losing Chubb but getting something out of us when you would end up with the guy you want only makes sense.  If I was CLE I would do it for just about anything they could get out of us.  

7 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

That'd be a dream scenario, I'd have to pinch myself. But I have a hard time thinking that CLE, NYG, and NYJ all pass on Darnold if he's there unless a last-minute scandal leaks about him being tied to Putin, Russia, Trump, and the 2016 election results. -- And even then...someone in the top three will take him. 

1 minute ago, bMiller031 said:

That'd be a dream scenario, I'd have to pinch myself. But I have a hard time thinking that CLE, NYG, and NYJ all pass on Darnold if he's there unless a last-minute scandal leaks about him being tied to Putin, Russia, Trump, and the 2016 election results. -- And even then...someone in the top three will take him. 

I could see really easily:

CLE: Allen

NYG: Barkley

NYJ: Mayfield

Leaving Nelson, Chubb, Darnold & Rosen on the board.  

I know better than to get my hopes up haha but i don't think it's a complete pipe dream the draft shakes out like this either

9 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

3 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

That'd be a dream scenario, I'd have to pinch myself. But I have a hard time thinking that CLE, NYG, and NYJ all pass on Darnold if he's there unless a last-minute scandal leaks about him being tied to Putin, Russia, Trump, and the 2016 election results.

To be honest, I'd hate it, but I'd live with 3.7 for the 1 spot move up.  I'd hope Elway could do maybe 3.99 and a 2019 4th instead.  

But honestly, if we could get Darnold and keep our 2019 1st and 2.40, I'd be doing cartwheels.  The move to 1.2 is too much to justify Darnold, a move to 1.4 would be very affordable.

Now, it would also mean CLE wants Chubb and only Chubb - if they want T or CB, we're screwed, they'll trade back further.   And then Elway has to see what he can get for Allen in a trade back...or take Allen.  THAT is when it gets mega-scary, folks.   We'd have to put @AnAngryAmerican on clock tower watch near Dove Valley (he's not a shoelaces/belt watch guy, more the other way around).  

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be honest, I'd hate it, but I'd live with 3.7 for the 1 spot move up.  I'd hope Elway could do maybe 3.99 and a 2019 4th instead.  

But honestly, if we could get Darnold and keep our 2019 1st and 2.40, I'd be doing cartwheels.  The move to 1.2 is too much to justify Darnold, a move to 1.4 would be very affordable.

Now, it would also mean CLE wants Chubb and only Chubb - if they want T or CB, we're screwed, they'll trade back further.   And then Elway has to see what he can get for Allen in a trade back...or take Allen.  THAT is when it gets mega-scary, folks.   We'd have to put @AnAngryAmerican on clock tower watch near Dove Valley (he's not a shoelaces/belt watch guy, more the other way around).  

The one thing about Cleveland, is if they can get say 3.99 from us, and BUF still wants to move up to get their guy, bidding against Arizona and say Miami, Cleveland could still trade back from #5 and accrue even more picks if they so chose

3 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I could see really easily:

CLE: Allen

NYG: Barkley

NYJ: Mayfield

The reports I've seen all mocked Barkley and Mayfield/Rosen in 1.2 & 1.3 because of the expectation that Darnold wouldn't be available. I figure he's the top guy on both of their boards. 

2 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

If Cleveland goes Mayfield #1...then it is no longer any kind of curse...it would be their own doing with no hope in sight.  However, I hope they pull the trigger on him!

Long live Sashi Brown if that happens.   

On one hand, I feel awful for CLE fans.  On the other, Sashi Brown literally had an exceptional 3-year plan, and saved the incompetent owner Jimmy Haslem and incompetent HC Hue Jackson (who never objected to passing on Wentz or Watson, on the record) from spending 2.1 on AJ McCarron - only to get fired for it.  Karma says they should rot and waste the picks / cap $ Sashi created.   

Sashi died so the Browns could live - but can't prevent them from still being the Browns.   Passing on a 20 year-old Darnold when you have a 1-year stopgap is just nuts IMO.   

1 hour ago, elliot878 said:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13124/denzel-ward

Draft day report stating Broncos "in love" with Denzel Ward.  

Hopefully only if we traded down. I like the player, but not at 5.  Don't really see the need for a R1 CB anyway.

Champ Bailey was the No. 7 overall pick in 1999. No way Denzel Ward is worth the No. 5 overall pick. If we trade back to 12, sure, but not at No. 5. 

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Long live Sashi Brown if that happens.   

On one hand, I feel awful for CLE fans.  On the other, Sashi Brown literally had an exceptional 3-year plan, and saved the incompetent owner Jimmy Haslem and incompetent HC Hue Jackson (who never objected to passing on Wentz or Watson, on the record) from spending 2.1 on AJ McCarron - only to get fired for it.  Karma says they should rot and waste the picks / cap $ Sashi created.   

Sashi died so the Browns could live - but can't prevent them from still being the Browns.   Passing on a 20 year-old Darnold when you have a 1-year stopgap is just nuts IMO.   

I kinda like Mayfield in Cleveland. They need that type of attitude to help flip the culture there. 

Archived