With the 5th pick in the NFL draft the Broncos select....

Wolzen

9 minutes ago, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

Thank you!  Long story short, I've been on the forums just about longer than anyone...probably 12-13 years, but a technicality with an old email address prevented me from continuing to use my old screen name, JONNYLONGFELLA :)

Back to the topic, it's amazing how different people see different things, and that's what makes this forum fun.  Having said that, i couldn't possible disagree with you more your #2.  Rosen is, by far and it's not even close, the most balanced and fundamentally sound/mechanical choice.  Short, itermediate and deep.  And in the process, it affects each of those items you mention in #2.  I don't believe Darnold is nearly as strong at throwing guys open as you do, apparently, and even if it were so and I'm underrating that skill of his, it certainly doesn't make him better at it than Rosen.  Rosen has the highest floor, again, assuming good health long term.  

I didn't say Rosen didn't have those skills - I love Rosen AND Darnold for no-brainer picks because they both have the strengths I look for.   Rosen is in fact the most polished and NFL-ready guy out of the bunch.   But Rosen's injury risk and lack of mobility are why his ceiling are lower, and why I'd much rather have Darnold - because I see Darnold as safe as Rosen floor-wise.  Read the post again - nowhere did I say Rosen lacked the NFL-specific throwing skills that are hardest to refine - read the post and you'll see where I said that both of them have it.   I just love Darnold's higher ceiling (size/mobility) and his lowered injury risk.   I'd pay the 3rd to move up to 1.4 from 1.5 for Rosen too, FWIW.  But apparently we have him off our board, which is the only reason why I'm not focusing on it much (it's a mistake to have him off our big board, I've said as much for the last 3 days it's been out there).

P.S.  Gotcha on the name change, all good.  

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I wouldn't be dissapointed its a team sport, theres other qbs in the draft, i think a trade down is great assuming we get a second too.

I think we'll land 2 blue chip prospects. 

I'm afraid you might be using the term "blue chip prospect" a little too loosely.  There are probably only 3 MAYBE 4 of them in this draft.  And if we trade down, it's unlikely we get any of them. Picking in the top 5 is a privilege, well, after having to endure a crappy season, that is.  

Just now, Broncofan said:

I didn't say Rosen didn't have those skills - I love Rosen AND Darnold for no-brainer picks because they both have the strengths I look for.   Rosen is in fact the most polished and NFL-ready guy out of the bunch.   But Rosen's injury risk and lack of mobility are why his ceiling are lower, and why I'd much rather have Darnold - because I see Darnold as safe as Rosen floor-wise.  Read the post again - nowhere did I say Rosen lacked the NFL-specific throwing skills that are hardest to refine.   Both of them have it.   I just love Darnold's higher ceiling (size/mobility) and his lowered injury risk.

So Cleveland at 4 is the key to all of this now.  The question is this.  Did Cleveland do enough scouting on the players from 12 to 22 to risk giving up Chubb/Barkely or even Nelson?  If so, we are not gonna get Darnold/Rosen because they will play ball with Buffalo and use 12 and 22 to fill up their roster.  If not, they only lose one spot, pick up a 3rd rounder and still get their pick of the 3 assuming Denver takes a QB at 4.

2 minutes ago, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

I'm afraid you might be using the term "blue chip prospect" a little too loosely.  There are probably only 3 MAYBE 4 of them in this draft.  And if we trade down, it's unlikely we get any of them. Picking in the top 5 is a privilege, well, after having to endure a crappy season, that is.  

A guy like wynn or Hernandex in at 22 even the lineman from Iowa would improve the line for 8 to 10 years thats blue chop to me a franchise player is the 3 or 4 you talk about. Lets get both.

4 minutes ago, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

I wonder of we can get two Paxton Lynch's to help with the team sport aspect?  Maybe a Jake Locker?

4 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

So Cleveland at 4 is the key to all of this now.  The question is this.  Did Cleveland do enough scouting on the players from 12 to 22 to risk giving up Chubb/Barkely or even Nelson?  If so, we are not gonna get Darnold/Rosen because they will play ball with Buffalo and use 12 and 22 to fill up their roster.  If not, they only lose one spot, pick up a 3rd rounder and still get their pick of the 3 assuming Denver takes a QB at 4.

Yup, that's it in a nutshell.   The Joe Thomas retirement sucks, because they have a big need at T eventually (Hubbard is there as a 2-year stopgap at RT, and they hope Shon Coleman can make the jump to LT, he's got the skills, but was still learning last year at RT).    Dropping to 12 and 22 could get them a CB and T, and the way Dorsey is working, win-now says you go there if you aren't 100 percent sold on Chubb as an elite DE.   I think they are enamored with him - the question is, how much.   I hope there's someone in the CLE FO who's got a Chubb CLE jersey already made lol.

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yup, that's it in a nutshell.   The Joe Thomas retirement sucks, because they have a big need at T eventually (Hubbard is there as a 2-year stopgap at RT, and they hope Shon Coleman can make the jump to LT, he's got the skills, but was still learning last year at RT).    Dropping to 12 and 22 could get them a CB and T, and the way Dorsey is working, win-now says you go there if you aren't 100 percent sold on Chubb as an elite DE.   I think they are enamored with him - the question is, how much.   I hope there's someone in the CLE FO who's got a Chubb CLE jersey already made lol.

So effectively the same exact thinking the Bronco with Bills discussion has been about really, with OG, RB being the bigger need for us.  I am of the thinking.  If it were me as the Cleveland GM.  You have a once in a carreer chance to take the #1 player and #1 QB in a draft.  If you are good at your job, which I would be ;) .  You take the QB 1st.  And the generational player 2nd.

5 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

So effectively the same exact thinking the Bronco with Bills discussion has been about really, with OG, RB being the bigger need for us.  I am of the thinking.  If it were me as the Cleveland GM.  You have a once in a carreer chance to take the #1 player and #1 QB in a draft.  If you are good at your job, which I would be.  You take the QB 1st.  And the generational player 2nd.

If you believe he's generational, yes.  I don't know that Chubb is quite that.  That's the rub.  I think he's very close to Clowney - but while Clowney went 1.1, the NFL Clowney is a really good, sometimes-great DE who is an absolute disruptor in the run game, and a great #2 Robin in the pass rush - but not in the Miller/Mack/Bosa range of all-around freak elite generational talent.   I've put him in the top tier - and he could be elite-level.  I also know he's really safe to be very good to great floor-wise.  That's why it's iffy to know what CLE is thinking with 1.4.   If you're not quite elite - then T/CB at 1.12 and 1.22 looks mighty tempting for a win-now team.  

Don't forget - because we have Rosen off the board, the other issue is if Darnold falls to 1.4, too.  That's no lock.  I hope McGinn is right, though, and Darnold is there at 1.4.  If Darnold is there, that will be a looooong 10 minutes to see how it shakes out.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If you believe he's generational, yes.  I don't know that Chubb is quite that.  That's the rub.  I think he's very close to Clowney - but while Clowney went 1.1, the NFL Clowney is a really good, sometimes-great DE who is an absolute disruptor in the run game, and a great #2 Robin in the pass rush - but not in the Miller/Mack/Bosa range of all-around freak elite generational talent.   I've put him in the top tier - and he could be elite-level.  I also know he's really safe to be very good to great floor-wise.  That's why it's iffy to know what CLE is thinking with 1.4.   If you're not quite elite - then T/CB at 1.12 and 1.22 looks mighty tempting for a win-now team.  

Don't forget - because we have Rosen off the board, the other issue is if Darnold falls to 1.4, too.  That's no lock.  I hope McGinn is right, though, and Darnold is there at 1.4.  If Darnold is there, that will be a looooong 10 minutes to see how it shakes out.

Chubb and Garrett would be an amazing combo

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If you believe he's generational, yes.  I don't know that Chubb is quite that.  That's the rub.  I think he's very close to Clowney - but while Clowney went 1.1, the NFL Clowney is a really good, sometimes-great DE who is an absolute disruptor in the run game, and a great #2 Robin in the pass rush - but not in the Miller/Mack/Bosa range of all-around freak elite generational talent.    That's why it's iffy to know what CLE is thinking with 1.4.   If you're not quite elite - then T/CB at 1.12 and 1.22 looks mighty tempting for a win-now team.  

If Chubb is a beast and Baker is a bust, then Cleveland trading back is the narrative that fits them trading back for two guys not in the league.  It may be Chubb at 5 after all.  Although I am still going Nelson.

Just saw the Allen tweets. Stupid, but stupid is what teens do. Guy was 16. If we are going to witch hunt things that kids say, its going to be hard to draft anyone.

I simply don't understand this world where offensive vocabulary from a 16 year old is deemed more needing of a moral media firestorm than accused sexual assaults, DUI's, assault, etc. There are numerous players with offenses that potentially or in actuality harmed another person. But we value bad words by a child as more important. Maybe I just have cognitive dissonance.

2 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

If there is one NON QB selected in the first 4 picks, the 5th pick becomes very valuable.  If not.  No one will want it.  And now iwith this nosense about Allen being a racist, it is even more likely.  I would bet that there is an 80% chance we pick at 5 now.

GET READY TO HEAR THEM SAY "with the 5th pick in the 2018NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select........Quentin Nelson, G Notre Dame".  Or Chubb ;)

You know I'd love it.

1 hour ago, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

What's up, man!  I'm back!  Now if Elliott could only figure out a way for me to use my old screen name.  To be fair to him, it's been a couple of years since we tried :)

BTW, if Elway takes Ward 1.5, passes on Rosen and then went Chark 2.7 with those CB/C-G's on the board - maybe ask Elliott if he can change my handle to AnAngryCanadian.

Archived