2018 draft talk

Danand

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Jaleel Scott nearly 6’5 and 216 lbs

He didn't have the best day from what I saw, couldn't pick up a couple low and poorly thrown balls but he moved well and got open on a crossing route.

Marcus Davenport as expected showed what most people thought he would and is guaranteed top 10, no way he's there for us but we all knew that.

None of the tackles looked great but for some reason the Senior Bowl never ends being the best showcase for OL talent. Crosby flashed a bit though.

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

for some reason the Senior Bowl never ends being the best showcase for OL talent.

I think Eric Fisher would disagree with you ;)

His performances in the Senior Bowl practices seemed to be the beginning of his rise to being the #1 overall pick

41 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah, nothing like being interested in investing a mid-round pick on another guy that will be on the inactive list for every game. 

I have seen very little from him. Could be another Bronson Kaufusi type of pick, where we try to find a pass rusher 3-4 end in the middle rounds.

I’m starting to dial into the receiver position more. Michael Gallup looks like the best receiver in this class. He does everything that Calvin Ridley does, is more productive, but plays stronger, and is 1 1/2 years younger. Gallup kind of reminds me of Derrick Mason. His hands aren’t automatic, but are very reliable. He can do everything on the route tree. Might be listed at 197 lbs, but has the physicality of someone that is 215 lbs. His route running is strong, makes plays vs 1on1 coverage. Really good with keeping himself clean from defenders holding him. Tracks balls well. You get him space and he’s making people miss. He makes you want to use the word saavy to describe him. Another player he sort of reminds me of is DeAndre Hopkins coming out of Clemson.

After Gallup, I have James Washington, Calvin Ridley, and Anthony Miller all ranked similarly... due to production, durability, and development potential I’d give the edge to selecting Washington over Ridley though. I think once he’s in more of a pro style offense and develops he has a higher ceiling than the other two guys. Worst case scenario he’s a great deep threat, but best case he’ll be an all around playmaker. Ridley is probably slightly better right now however just off talent. Though it depends on value. Miller in the second round is infinitely better than Ridley in the first. 

After that I’d have Courtland Sutton and Marcel Ateman ranked similarly, though more players might find themselves in that category.

4 Stars

1. Michael Gallup

2. Calvin Ridley, James Washington, Anthony Miller

3 Stars

3. Courtland Sutton, Marcel Ateman, Jaleel Scott

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m starting to dial into the receiver position more. Michael Gallup looks like the best receiver in this class. He does everything that Calvin Ridley does, is more productive, but plays stronger, and is 1 1/2 years younger. Gallup kind of reminds me of Derrick Mason. His hands aren’t automatic, but are very reliable. He can do everything on the route tree. Might be listed at 197 lbs, but has the physicality of someone that is 215 lbs. His route running is strong, makes plays vs 1on1 coverage. Really good with keeping himself clean from defenders holding him. Tracks balls well. You get him space and he’s making people miss. He makes you want to use the word saavy to describe him. Another player he sort of reminds me of is DeAndre Hopkins coming out of Clemson.

After Gallup, I have James Washington, Calvin Ridley, and Anthony Miller all ranked similarly... due to production, durability, and development potential I’d give the edge to selecting Washington over Ridley though. I think once he’s in more of a pro style offense and develops he has a higher ceiling than the other two guys. Worst case scenario he’s a great deep threat, but best case he’ll be an all around playmaker. Ridley is probably slightly better right now however just off talent. Though it depends on value. Miller in the second round is infinitely better than Ridley in the first. 

After that I’d have Courtland Sutton and Marcel Ateman ranked similarly, though more players might find themselves in that category.

4 Stars

1. Michael Gallup

2. Calvin Ridley, James Washington, Anthony Miller

3 Stars

3. Courtland Sutton, Marcel Ateman, Jaleel Scott

Very disrespectful of you NOT to mention Christian Kirk at all sir. You all will pay when this man enters the league. 

Hands down, the best WR in this class. 

53 minutes ago, Ballimore said:

Very disrespectful of you NOT to mention Christian Kirk at all sir. You all will pay when this man enters the league. 

Comparisons to Steve Smith Sr and Golden Tate are more than a little encouraging. If he plays with even half of their fire and determination, he'll be a really good receiver in the NFL. Those guys, along with Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham Jr, prove that you don't need to be 6'4" to be a top WR in the NFL.

There are so many names in the WR pool though, and it seems like everyone has a different favourite. The one thing that I keep thinking though, is that Calvin Ridley does not seem to be built for the AFC North.

3 hours ago, Ballimore said:

I’ve watched him but haven’t rewatched him. So I didn’t include him. Like I said, It’s not complete. My OL list is pretty extensive, dare I say complete (outside of one name that has to be added). Same with running back.

Wide receiver is a position I’m just getting into. Granted I’ve seen Kirk play. And I’ve seen his tape. I saw too much of him playing exclusively out of the slot. Too much of him being given clean releases via scheme (motioning him) and such to put him above Gallup. It’s like Gallup could do everything Kirk could do, like play in space and be motioned open and make plays... only he can do more. The only thing Kirk has over Gallup is that his hands were slightly better from what I recall and he’s an elite special teams player.

It definitely won’t be difficult for Kirk to launch himself into the Ridley category though, can’t say this WR class excites me too much.

Apparently James Washington is looking like one of the best players at the senior bowl. Still think Gallup is slightly the better player. His ability to make plays in space aren’t something you can display when playing without the pads.

If an elite talent doesn’t fall to #16, I’d be all in on trading down to pick up a third rounder and then going for either player. Gallup’s my favorite and he seems to have the least hype of the top receiving bunch. He’s like a combination of what you get from Ridley and Kirk, but in the same package. If we can drop down to the mid 20s and select him, I’m easily on board.

As of right now my ideal draft scenario would be something like:

Round 1:

Trade down and pickup a third: Bills are stupid. For some reason they don’t like Tyrod Taylor. So they trade a third rounder away to move up and secure a QB prospect that starts to fall. Be it Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen.

1.22 (Bills): Michael Gallup, WR- Best WR in the class.

2.20: Tyrell Crosby, OT- 2nd Best OT in class. Could also flew out to LT when Stanley ultimately gets banged up.. and he might even replace him as our LT when that happens.

3.18: Nick Chubb, RB- Thunder back would upgrade the position. Pro bowl caliber talent.

3.29 (Bills): Hayden Hurst, TE- 2nd Best TE in class. Falls because he’ll be a 25 yo rookie. So was Pitta. He’s probably the most athletic TE in the class.

3.C: Bradley Bozeman, OC- 2nd Best center in the class. Nice anchor. Smart player. Has the size the Ravens are looking for. A leader along the line.

4. Darius Phillips, DB- Great return man. CB/FS versatility. Should shine on special teams.

5. Jack Cichy, ILB- Inside linebacker with athleticism and instincts. Might have gone higher if not for tearing his ACL. He’s also a little older.

6. Austin Proel, WR- Pro roots. Reliable skillset. Nice hands. Should be a special teams player and compete for a receiver position with our cast of young and unproven options.

7. Riley Ferguson, QB- Has arm strength. Quarterback for Memphis. Highly productive. Made plays. Gives the Ravens a quality option to develop with some talent.

Archived