2018 draft talk

Danand

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

Why would we do this? Why would we ruin the development of our future #1 CB just to appease an aging, unreliable Jimmy Smith? Trading Jimmy for peanuts isn't what people are suggesting. If we can get a #2 WR in return for him, that's amazing. Heck, if we can get a 3rd round pick for him, that's amazing.

It isn't ruining anyone's development, it's taking advantage of our player's versatility to maximize the talent we put on the field. Getting a 3rd for Jimmy wouldn't be amazing, he's a top 10 CB in the league. Our team has unfortunately proven exceptionally capable of rehabbing players from injuries and there's no reason to think Jimmy won't continue to play at a very high level when he returns from his. Jimmy has the injury issues and now the PED stuff but let's not act like getting a 3rd for him is amazing, I'll agree that certainly isn't peanuts, but amazing? no. 

The market won't be so great for him either, at least until after this year. He has to prove he can go through a season without major injury and suspension, then next year when his dead money won't be as significant options may present themselves. Including him maybe taking a drastic pay cut to stay with the team.

13 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

there's no reason to think Jimmy won't continue to play at a very high level when he returns from his. 

Most injuries and even this injury at a different position and I’d almost agree. But Achilles are a B and it’s the position where speed is the most important. And he’s over 30. And I’m just going to call it like I see it here. He’s been good before. But never as good as this year when he was on PEDs

15 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It isn't ruining anyone's development, it's taking advantage of our player's versatility to maximize the talent we put on the field. Getting a 3rd for Jimmy wouldn't be amazing, he's a top 10 CB in the league. Our team has unfortunately proven exceptionally capable of rehabbing players from injuries and there's no reason to think Jimmy won't continue to play at a very high level when he returns from his. Jimmy has the injury issues and now the PED stuff but let's not act like getting a 3rd for him is amazing, I'll agree that certainly isn't peanuts, but amazing? no. 

The market won't be so great for him either, at least until after this year. He has to prove he can go through a season without major injury and suspension, then next year when his dead money won't be as significant options may present themselves. Including him maybe taking a drastic pay cut to stay with the team.

Doesn't this sound familiar? Think about a recent 2nd round pick who we did this exact same thing with, and it ruined his development. What about a former 1st round OL pick who we did that with and it ruined him, too. Why are we doing this again when there's absolutely no reason to?

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

Doesn't this sound familiar? Think about a recent 2nd round pick who we did this exact same thing with, and it ruined his development. What about a former 1st round OL pick who we did that with and it ruined him, too. Why are we doing this again when there's absolutely no reason to?

That 2nd round pick was garbage, we were forced to look for anything for him to do, one of the worst picks in franchise history. 

We were talking about a hypothetical scenario in which Marlon got a couple looks at FS in order to field more of our talented cover men, chill Darth. I think you have PTSD from some of our recent draft issues. Marlon will be fine, he's proven too much for his development to ever be in question. Let's not fill the draft thread with this general roster discussion.

For all you Anthony Miller fans he won't be playing in the Senior Bowl, nor will some other notables, very disappointing. But I don't think Miller will blow up the combine so this most likely removes him from that long stretch between our first and second round picks where he seemed prime to go.

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

A trade could make some sense. Whenever Jimmy Smith gets to the point where he can pass a physical might be the perfect time. Someone like Larry Fitzgerald who has been losing his fire with the Cardinals.

can't believe you are actually proposing the idea of trading one of the better players on the current squad for some aging stop gap. if the team would actually entertain the idea of trading J. Smith it should absolutely not be for another 2year stop gap at WR but maybe for once should they look for somebody capable of being a multiple year starter at WR.

doesn't mean Fitzgerald wouldn't immediately be the best WR on this squad but thats not the point.

43 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

can't believe you are actually proposing the idea of trading one of the better players on the current squad for some aging stop gap. if the team would actually entertain the idea of trading J. Smith it should absolutely not be for another 2year stop gap at WR but maybe for once should they look for somebody capable of being a multiple year starter at WR.

doesn't mean Fitzgerald wouldn't immediately be the best WR on this squad but thats not the point.

Agreed here. While both Fitz and Smith are on the tail ends of their career, I wouldn't trade Jimmy for a 1-year rental of a player (which Fitz would absolutely be).

8 hours ago, berlin calling said:

I love the value of a shutdown corner. However Jimmy Smith is essentially our defensive version of Rob Gronkowski. Ultra talented when he’s on the field, but in our teams most important moments... like a playoff push, he always seems to get hurt or is out. He’s just not a durable player. What’s more he’s starting to get up there in age and dominant corners usually see their shelf life go after another couple years after this point. Coupled with his most recent mega injury... and you’ve got to be naive not to think gaining a dominant receiver like Larry Fitzgerald would be the smart move. He’s essentially a better version of Steve Smith. Even on his last legs he’s instantly the best wide receiver the Ravens have ever fielded in franchise history. He’s a red zone threat for Flacco and he can be a mentor for the young receivers that we draft and hope can take over the mantle.

Jimmy Smith is essentially Haloti Ngata. An elite player that isn’t elite when it matters. Fitzgerald would be an elite talent that has been durable, even in decline.

8 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Agreed here. While both Fitz and Smith are on the tail ends of their career, I wouldn't trade Jimmy for a 1-year rental of a player (which Fitz would absolutely be).

The wide receiver position is one of the ones that takes the longest to really develop and take off in the NFL. That 1-2 year rental is one that could seriously launch us from playoff outsider to super bowl contender. An aging Anquan Boldin made Flacco look like a playoff god, what do you think a more talented Larry Fitzgerald could do? Not to mention that in the likely even that we draft a first or second round receiver that guy can come in, learn from the best, and play without much pressure to be a dominant rookie and can gradually work his way in... like Marlon Humphrey behind two veterans.

We have the corners to sustain trading Jimmy and trading him should ONLY be done if it’s going to bring back an iconic locker room presence and a receiver that is well respected across the league. Fitz would open so many things up for our offense and it would likely respark his football flare that he’s lost playing for a perennial non-contending team. Anything less than obtaining a league icon for Smith would have to be viewed as pointless. The only reason Arizona might even consider the trade, unlike many other teams in the league is because of Fitz’s age, the gain of a potential great corner, and the want to do right by an all time franchise great.

On another note, I’m really intrigued to see how James Washington performs during the senior bowl. I’ve gone from liking him to fading some to liking him again. The one thing that I didn’t truly understand about him is his deceptive speed. He doesn’t look incredibly blazing fast, but somehow he consistently seems to gain separation deep. It’s really something you only see with a few players. Alshon Jeffery being the biggest example of it IMO.

41 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

On another note, I’m really intrigued to see how James Washington performs during the senior bowl. I’ve gone from liking him to fading some to liking him again. The one thing that I didn’t truly understand about him is his deceptive speed. He doesn’t look incredibly blazing fast, but somehow he consistently seems to gain separation deep. It’s really something you only see with a few players. Alshon Jeffery being the biggest example of it IMO.

He looks fast AF to me. Not Tyreek Hill fast but low 4.4s fast

Im not a fan. Looks like a deep threat who doesn’t offer really much else. 

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

To me, James Washington just has different gears when running routes to separate. Go see a DJ Moore tape, then James Washington, and it is evident, that one receiver most of the time is a one speed guy, while the other can shift gears depending on the situation.

Also, I already have a huge cluster of "I WANT THIS GUY" at the wide receiver position, but all of them are also more options for our 2. round pick than our first. One reason being, that I am not that high on Calvin Ridley, while others also have some questions regarding their value in the middle of the 1. round.

Archived