Wild Card Weekend - Bye Week

Deadpulse

Bye week!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What will you be doing this weekend?

• Watching every Wildcard game
    • Watching just the AFC wildcard games
    • Starting the new year in the gym
    • Flying somewhere with a positive temperature
  2. 2. Who would you like to face in the Divisional Round?

• Buffalo Bills
    • Tennessee Titans
    • Kansas City Chiefs
  3. 3. Which NFC Team are you rooting for this weekend?

• Atlanta Falcons (feel bad)
    • Carolina Panthers
    • New Orleans Saints
    • LA Rams (poor St. Louis)

The schedule for wildcard weekend is out!

image.png

Our most likely match up is the winner of the Titans/Chiefs game as I dont expect Jax to go down to the Bills with a hobbled Lesean McCoy. What scenarios do you guys want to see? Who are you rooting for on the NFC side?

What scenarios do you guys want to see?

Jacksonville and Tennessee. Hear me out:

As much as we'd like see Buffalo > Jacksonville, Tennessee > KC and Tennessee > Pittsburgh, the likelihood of that happening to slim to none. Jacksonville has a much better chance of beating Pittsburgh than Tennessee does. As poorly as we match up against them, I'd much rather deal with Bortles in the AFC Championship than Ben.

15 minutes ago, El ramster said:

So i kept reading that Flowers was your DPOY in that team thread.. How great is he was he.

He has absolutely been the most vital player on the Pats' defense this year. His sack numbers don't really reflect his importance or the quality of his play. He was the only one who could could consistently generate pressure out of a 4-man rush and the best run defender from game-to-game. He was asked to drop into coverage more often than I would've liked, but given the thinness at linebacker it was out of necessity.

What are his strengths.. Who would you compare him to where would you rank him?!

Closest comparison I can think of is Michael Bennett of the Seahawks. He's extremely versatile and has at various times played edge, 5-tech, 3-tech and over the center on a lot of obvious passing downs. He's been effective rushing the passer from every position. Not overwhelmingly "talented" but plays with outstanding technique and knows how to force OLs off-balance. He had 2.5 sacks in the Super Bowl, including the big one where he beat a double-team and brought Matt Ryan down at the edge of FG range.

Is he better than Chris Jones? 

which Chris Jones?

2 minutes ago, Starless said:

He has absolutely been the most vital player on the Pats' defense this year. His sack numbers don't really reflect his importance or the quality of his play. He was the only one who could could consistently generate pressure out of a 4-man rush and the best run defender from game-to-game. He was asked to drop into coverage more often than I would've liked, but given the thinness at linebacker it was out of necessity.

Closest comparison I can think of is Michael Bennett of the Seahawks. He's extremely versatile and has at various times played edge, 5-tech, 3-tech and over the center on a lot of obvious passing downs. He's been effective rushing the passer from every position. Not overwhelmingly "talented" but plays with outstanding technique and knows how to force OLs off-balance. He had 2.5 sacks in the Super Bowl, including the big one where he beat a double-team and brought Matt Ryan down at the edge of FG range.

which Chris Jones?

DAL161030_Chiefs_at_Colts_1924.jpg

5 minutes ago, El ramster said:

DAL161030_Chiefs_at_Colts_1924.jpg

Tough to say which one is "better". Jones plays mostly 5-tech and is a lot more physically gifted, whereas Flowers plays all over the line, drops back into coverage occasionally and wins mostly with technique. Flowers also plays a much higher percentage of the team's snaps - 90% or more in every game for which he was healthy, while Jones only plays around 60% for the Chiefs. 

I'll watch maybe 2 games. Not bothered which ones. Probably the tasty matchups like Rams and Falcons, Saints and Panthers. I'll ALSO be in the gym trying to de-disgust myself

I would rather like to play Tennessee. They suck.

I shall cheer on Atlanta and New Orleans. All the other teams are dislikable, to me. 

What I want to happen: Titans over the Chiefs, Buffalo over Jacksonville.

What I think happens: the exact opposite.

I'm predicting a pretty boring Wildcard Weekend. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I think all the home teams win in the AFC. I'm not scared by the Chiefs and I think it'll be a completely different outcome the second time around. We should be able to run it down their throats. 

Rich Hill's take on our potential opponent

Kansas City Chiefs

Offensive rank: 2.21 points per drive (6th)
Defensive rank: 1.85 points allowed per drive (21st)

The Chiefs dominated the Patriots 42-27 in the season opener and roared out to a 5-0 start to the season. They fell apart and went 1-6 over their next seven games, before rebounding and going 4-0 to close out the season. What team are they? They’re a mix of all three stretches.

The offense is built to take advantage of the Patriots style of defense, with quarterback Alex Smith willing and capable of leading 10+ play drives. They have a strong running game with Kareem Hunt and can set up second- and third-and-short opportunities that create home run shots for Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. It’s probably the most difficult offense the Patriots could face in the AFC.

The defense is also troublesome. While they’ve struggled at points this year, they’ve held opponents to 16 or fewer points in five of their six games after the bye week before resting the starters in the finale. They have quality players at every level of the defense, with Justin Houston and Chris Jones sure to give the Patriots offensive line troubles and Marcus Peterssure to capitalize on any errant passes.

Kansas City is the team the Patriots want to avoid in the divisional round, but are their most likely opponent.

Tennessee Titans

Offensive rank: 1.72 PPD (19th)
Defensive rank: 1.81 PAPD (17th)

The Titans are an absolutely average team with a -22 point differential on the year. Quarterback Marcus Mariota threw 15 interceptions against only 13 touchdowns. No player on offense had more than 1,000 yards from scrimmage and their leader in yards, DeMarco Murray with 925, tore his MCL.

In other words, no one should be afraid of the Tennessee offense.

The defense, however, is pretty solid. Old friend Logan Ryan is a starting cornerback across from rookie Adoree Jackson, while free safety Kevin Byard notched an impressive 8 interceptions. It’s a disruptive defense, but it’s coached by **** LeBeau and that means the Patriots already have the answer key since LeBeau coached the Steelers for most of the past two decades.

The Titans would be one of the more ideal opponents for the Patriots to face in the divisional round.

Buffalo Bills

Offensive rank: 1.57 PPD (23rd)
Defensive rank: 1.90 PAPD (23rd)

Congratulations to the Bills on reaching the postseason for the first time since 1999-2000. They have to get through the Jacksonville Jaguars, which is not likely to happen with star running back LeSean McCoy dealing with a sprained ankle he suffered in the regular season finale.

McCoy is essentially the entire Bills offense, with 1,586 yards from scrimmage. Tight end Charles Clay rank second with 558 and quarterback Tyrod Taylor ranks third with 427- and if the quarterback is one of the top three producers in yards from scrimmage, then the cupboard is bare.

The Patriots defeated the Bills in both games this year by a combined score of 60-19. Buffalo failed to score a touchdown on offense. But I really don’t like the idea of facing a team three times in one year, so I can’t consider them the ideal opponent.

In my opinion, the best scenario for the Patriots would be a Jaguars and Titans victory on wild card weekend, setting up the Patriots against the Titans and the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Jaguars. What do you think?

Outside of the Falcons-Rams (very late kickoff here), I'll be watching every game.

As for who I'd be facing the div round, I'm waffling between Buffalo and Tennessee. I feel Buffalo is the better team, but preparing for division opponents seems easier (more "tape" and general experience against them). Tennessee is just so meh; they just don't stand out in any facets of the game.

I'll be rooting for the Falcons, even though I'm not watching their game O.o.

Archived