Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

McGinn with some interesting blurbs regarding how TT's health may have played a big role in the decision

The public images of Thompson and some recent interaction with Packers executives led the 45-member board of directors to instruct Murphy to remove him as general manager, according to one source.

Last month, Thompson was just gazing into space hardly mindful why he was attending a meeting of team executives, the source said.

The incident was one of several in the last six months that called into question Thompson’s fitness for performing such demanding work. It also opened the Packers to embarrassment for having a man with apparent health and focusing issues directing their football operation.

Ten days ago, NBC cameras centered on Thompson at his press-box seat when play was stopped during the Green Bay-Minnesota game at Lambeau Field. For almost 12 seconds Thompson was sitting there with his mouth open.

Thompson’s mouth was ajar not long before that as he and McCarthy watched Aaron Rodgers warm up at practice.

Thompson frequently is seen in the Packers’ offices in similar pose, which alarmed one person.

Another friend of Thompson’s said recently “there’s something foggy about him” during their recent conversations.

An executive in personnel for an NFC team said he encountered Thompson on the scouting trail this fall.

“He looks like he’s walking in a daze,” the personnel man said last week. “It looks like there’s something that’s slowing him down mentally.”

Really hope this isn't dementia.

6 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

Do people really think Wolf/Gutekunst/Highsmith/Sullivan and all of the scouts give their input and Ted gives them the middle finger as he drafts based on his personal board? The Packers will have the same scouts, and the same people working in the FO. It wasn't just Thompson making the decisions, it was the entire FO.

When 2-3 scouts are pushing for a player it’s TT who makes the call. Remember hearing that a packer scout threw his papers down and walked out of the war room when Starr passed on Montana. It can be that way. 

8 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

When 2-3 scouts are pushing for a player it’s TT who makes the call. Remember hearing that a packer scout threw his papers down and walked out of the war room when Starr passed on Montana. It can be that way. 

This isn't the 70s and 80s anymore. Those arguments are in February/March, not on draft day.

If that happens in today's NFL it's more than likely a dysfunctional team like Houston or Cleveland than a successful one.

1 minute ago, ugLymayNe said:

This isn't the 70s and 80s anymore. Those arguments are in February/March, not on draft day. They set their board and they work it on draft day.

If that happens in today's NFL it's more than likely a dysfunctional team like Houston or Cleveland than a successful one.

You don’t know that I neither do I. Could also be a situation where the scouts want Thompson to pick their top player on the board and he moves back and makes a trade. My point is that it can happen

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Lol wtf HHCD...3 of the 4 players he listed were UDFA

And Hyde was a 6th round pick, lol. Those issues are at CB moreso than safety though, and I can see his point about corners missing time and going to players that really haven't shown they should be on the field.

14 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Really hope this isn't dementia.

I don't think he seemed all with it the past few times I've heard him speak .. he's definitely slowed down.  Just last year Murphy was all .. he can stay with us as GM for as long as he likes, to now suddenly relieving him of his GM duties.  Something is up.

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I believe that the answer is Gutekunst. 

Texans fan, coming in peace. 9_9

Tell me about Brian Guntekunst - the Texans have hired a search firm to lead their GM search, and Guntekunst is one of the top names according to sources (with Buffalo's Brian Gaine and New England's Nick Caserio being the other two hot names). 

Seems like Guntekunst is up for a promotion here, but is he a guy you'd all like as a GM? If Guntekunst gets the gig, does Eliot Wolf hit the open market? Or if Wolf gets the gig, does Guntekunst hit the market?

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think he seemed all with it the past few times I've heard him speak .. he's definitely slowed down.  Just last year Murphy was all .. he can stay with us as GM for as long as he likes, to now suddenly relieving him of his GM duties.  Something is up.

The part that scares me is:

"The public images of Thompson and some recent interaction with Packers executives led the 45-member board of directors to instruct Murphy to remove him as general manager, according to one source."

As if we want these ******* idiots calling the shots.

14 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

Do people really think Wolf/Gutekunst/Highsmith/Sullivan and all of the scouts give their input and Ted gives them the middle finger as he drafts based on his personal board? The Packers will have the same scouts, and the same people working in the FO. It wasn't just Thompson making the decisions, it was the entire FO.

I do wonder if TT stepping aside will mean GB's drafts will be less West Coast centric.  TT seemed to have a clear preference for whatever he was hearing from his west coast scouts.  When you look at the top 5 picks in the past 5 drafts, 14 of the 25 picks were from schools west of the Rockies.

Archived