Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

20 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

McCarthy gets a one yr extension

They couldn't lame duck the guy, but that's a far cry from a 4 year extension.  With all the contract decisions that have happened of late sure look like we are looking at a three horse race for GM .. Ball, Wolf, Gutekunst.  One of these three will be the next GM.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't like half the things McKenzie did with the Raiders.  He repeated Thompson's biggest mistake (panic move reaching on an injured player like Justin Harrell) when he drafted DJ Hayden.  I feel like Mack was an easy decision, and so was Carr.  Then he picks a receiver in the top ten, who REALLY isn't as good as people think he is (look at his numbers).  Then he spends two consecutive first round picks on the secondary, and his secondary sucks.  Pretty sure based on Conley's pre-draft thing that he would have went all the way to the end of the second round, yet the Raiders took him.  He played in 2 games, 0 starts. 

McKenzie basically got a franchise QB and a franchise pass rusher by virtue of other teams passing on them and he turned that miraculous draft class into a single playoff appearance in four years with them. 

So I'm asking anybody here... Why in  the world would we ever want McKenzie?

Because he signed the free agents?  He didn't turn the Raiders around by signing free agents just like no GM in the past 20 years has turned a franchise around through free agency.  He turned the Raiders into a playoff team by literally having the most ideal draft you can possibly have, and he had to thank the Rams, Jaguars and Bills for screwing up that first round (seriously, come on, Bills).  Then he had to thank the Vikings, Texans and Browns for screwing up the end of the first, start of the second round to draft Carr. 

Every time I hear about how good McKenzie is, I have to scratch my damn head.  What did he do? 

I don't know if McKenzie is the answer in Green Bay, or if he's even an option, but he has turned an absolutely disastrous situation in Oakland into a team that has a bright future, so I suppose to oversimplify an answer to your question, that's what he did.  I really don't see how he is any worse than TT (who has been a very important part of this team's success over the past 12 years). 

Both have made bad picks, both have made great ones.  You claiming that Mack and Carr were easy is no different than people taking credit away from Thompson for picking Rodgers.

Both have made significant efforts to upgrade their team's secondary, and both have had middling success at best - Hayden might have been a risky pick, but as you mentioned, TT made the same gamble with the same results when he picked Harrell.  And for a Packer fan to criticize McKenzie for not having a good secondary is completely ridiculous.  The Raiders and the Packers had about the same pass defensive ratings over the past two years (the Packers intercepted more passes, but also allowed more TDs and first downs, but the yards per pass and completion percentage were almost identical).  And Green Bay has spent considerably more of their high round picks on the defensive secondary over the past four years (5 picks in the top 3 rounds) than the Raiders (3 picks in the top 3 rounds).  As for the idea that Conley would fall to the end of the 2nd, I think the same thing was said about Mixon potentially even going undrafted because of his history - but Cincy took a chance on him.  Even if you don't like the risk-taking behaviour of taking a guy accused of rape, you can't blame him for not playing in his rookie year since it was due to an injury.  That has nothing to do with why he would have dropped. 

I just don't understand your double standards.  Like I said, I don't know if McKenzie is any better or worse than the 3 in-house guys, but I certainly wouldn't leave him out of the discussion purely based on the assessment you presented.

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What's the cliff notes on Scot mccoulough dude? Is there a franchise connection there?

He worked for Schneider, knew him from GB, and  basically the architect of those drafts with Wilson, Sherman, Chancellor. He was a scout for GB under Wolf.

Had drinking problems in seattle and SF as GM/personnel executive and resigned as a result.  Appeared to turn the corner on that in DC, but was fired unceremoniously by Bruce Allan who is a punk, alleging alcohol problems again.

McCloughan is a stud drafter, bottom line.  I don't think you want him focused on anything much more than that though. 

Although he did take Josh Doctson in the first round, @HorizontoZenith.

Just now, incognito_man said:

So board members, Murphy and Thompson all indicate it wasn't a directive, but a joint decision.

Interesting, eh @TheOnlyThing?

I'm old enough to remember when the Ted fans insisted we should never believe a word out of TT or MM's mouths at these press conferences. LOL

And Thompson indicated? The same Ted that Murph made clear would not be speaking about "his decision" to step aside? Yeah right.

Anyway, whether Ted in a lucid moment realized the GM job was beyond him or whether as others have reported his slippage became too much for the BOD to countenance any longer, the deed is now done.

As long as Ted has finally been put out too pasture, all is good.

Happy New Year for Green Bay Packer fans.

I've been as critical of Ted as anybody on here as of late. And I believe it was time for him to step down. But I am tickled pink that he is staying in the organization. I hope he is fully utilized. I think it speaks great as what type of man Ted is. He isn't a pump your chest type guy. It's never always been about him. So thank you Ted for your years of service as GM, and look forward to keeping your growing in our organization!

Archived