Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

Good god no

As a Bills fan he isn't all bad. He has his strengths and weaknesses. 

Up and down drafter- Has found talent like Tre White, Ronald Darby, Matt Milano, Ross Cockerall, Preston Brown but with all that he had his Sammy Watkins, John Miller, Zay Jones

Trades- He may have given up a lot of Sammy but he also got us LeSean McCoy so he was up and down in that aspect as well

Amazing at Finding Talent in Free Agency- His biggest strength is he finds talents that other over look. Jordan Poyer, Tyrod Taylor, Lorenzo Alexander, Jerry Hughes, and a guy you guys are all familiar with... Micah Hyde. He is just amazing at finding talent in free agency that are cheap and contribute. Whaley would be agreat in director of pro personnel role.

Bad in the public and speaking- He looks bad to the public eye. Reason for his hate isn't because he struggled. He had his mistakes as most GMs do but overall he was successful for the most part. He is just a bad public speaker and it often made the team look like a circus. He was a better GM than what was indicated into the public. This is probably the worst aspect of him.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Has anyone check to see if ToT is alive?  Living out his fantasy right now.

I never believed Dom & Ted were salvageable, but have been lukewarm about Mike.

Thought MM would finally, finally ditch Dom after yet another horrific defensive showing in 2017 and ride Aaron to another playoff berth in 2018.

I also hoped against hope that a new DC could turn Ted's guys into a Super Bowl worthy D.

Never envisioned Murph having the cajones to send Ted out to pasture.

If MM survives the purge, I expect him to coach with more urgency and focus than he has in years.

I also look forward to the new GM making every effort to get this team back to the Super Bowl ... in 2018.

For those of us who viewed the Packers as being far too complacent the past several seasons, it appears someone who matters agrees. 

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I also look forward to the new GM making every effort to get this team back to the Super Bowl ... in 2018.

So you're telling me with a straight-face that you are willing to risk everything in one year even if that means putting the Packers in salary cap hell for the next few years?

Just now, CWood21 said:

So you're telling me with a straight-face that you are willing to risk everything in one year even if that means putting the Packers in salary cap hell for the next few years?

we got like 3/4 years to make something happen

Just now, jfinley88 said:

we got like 3/4 years to make something happen

That's not really what I was getting at.  TOT implied that he wanted them to do EVERYTHING they could do to put themselves in the best possible position to win in 2018.  By doing so, that might risk that 2019, 2020, etc. season.  Are you willing to make that risk?  All in on one season at the expense of hurting other seasons.

You all are talking about salary cap.....think I read it somewhere around town that the GBPs were moving into 2018 with some 22-32mil in cap space? Something like that - and thats before ARs extension comes to town.

Meanwhile there are teams like SanFran and Cleve that have about a 100billion in 2018 cap space! (Thats a joke btw....)

I need to find me a list somewhere.........

Just now, CWood21 said:

Never said that.

You did.

For the Ted fans, free agency always amounts to cap hell.

Amazing that the Pats signed so many more free agents than Ted during his reign yet still somehow were able to stay out of cap hell while, oh yeah, winning a few games.

Anyway, every effort includes (i) cutting dead weight from the roster (something Ted was loathe to do), (ii) signing bargain free agents to fill obvious holes (something Ted or whomever was calling the shots finally tried, but mostly failed, to do in 2017), (iii) possibly signing a marquee free agent at a position of need (say OLB or CB), or even (iv) entertaining the possibility of a player trade (shudder the thought under Ted). 

Faithfully relying upon your draft picks like Fackrell, McMillian, Ryan, R. Rodgers, etc. to make that mythical leap has ill-served the Packers the past 7 years. No question 

Time for a new philosophy in Green Bay.

Hallelujah.

Just now, Leader said:

You all are talking about salary cap.....think I read it somewhere around town that the GBPs were moving into 2018 with some 22-32mil in cap space? Something like that - and thats before ARs extension comes to town.

Meanwhile there are teams like SanFran and Cleve that have about a 100billion in 2018 cap space! (Thats a joke btw....)

I need to find me a list somewhere.........

Also worth noting how many players are currently under contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Packers have $24.5M in cap space according to that website with 42 players under contract.  Also, look at the average age.  The teams with the most cap space are all younger than the Packers, which means they're still on rookie contracts.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Also worth noting how many players are currently under contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Packers have $24.5M in cap space according to that website with 42 players under contract.  Also, look at the average age.  The teams with the most cap space are all younger than the Packers, which means they're still on rookie contracts.

Thanks for that! 

We look to be in a good spot. Thats one thing I always gave TT (or Ball) credit for - they ran a stable ship - much to the chagrin of some. But damn - there's some mountains of cash to be spent out there! Gonna be interesting to see how the FAs flow....

Archived