What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

6 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

In no way is giving up 28 for a mediocre QB palatable.

Whats worse, is if it is a fully guaranteed contract. We set precedence with MLB.

Lets wait and see structure and such before determining it isn't palatable. I am right there with you though in thinking that Cousins is mediocre.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

If Cousins signs else where ... we should let Teddy sign elsewhere as a starter ... retain Bradford (2 year deal) .... and trade up in the draft high ... sign no free agent QBs (like McCarron whoh would offset comp picks, and offer no high ceiling, nor high floor).

Get two 3rd round comp picks for Cousins & Teddy

Get one 5th round comp pick for Jet

(we'll need these comp picks after giving up a boat load to move up from #30 in the draft).

Use Cap space on Suh (DT) ... move #30, 2nd, 2019 1st, 2nd

Would be behind this except I'd swap Bradford with Teddy. 

My own loose sense is that the Vikings never made a serious play to keep Keenum , perhaps indicating that coach Mike Zimmer’s chronic ambivalence toward him in 2017 wasn’t aimed merely at coaxing a better performance out of him. The organization simply didn’t believe in Keenum enough to keep him from changing teams.

So where does that leave Minnesota? Let’s look at the options.

1. Kirk Cousins: It’s down to the Vikings and the Jets. If the Jets win, the Vikings could be screwed. The question ultimately will be whether the Vikings are close enough to the Jets financially to allow Cousins to take less to go to a “better” team. The range very well could be $2.4 million, with the Jets at $30 million per year and the Vikings at $27.6 million, $100,000 annually more than Jimmy Garoppolo‘s current high-water-mark deal.

2. AJ McCarron: Unproven with only four career starts, he may not be a guy who would be the difference between making it to the Super Bowl and not. Then there’s the question of what he wants. If it’s close to what Keenum is getting, they should have just kept Keenum.

3. Sam Bradford: Zimmer said two weeks ago that Bradford has a degenerative knee. That’s not good, either as to the fact that he has it or as to the fact that Zimmer specifically said it.

4. Teddy Bridgewater: Speaking of problematic knees, Bridgewater has been out of action for most of the last two years because of a torn ACL. If the Vikings thought he was the answer, he possibly already would have been signed.

5. Nick Foles: Yes, Nick Foles. Former Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo now runs the offense in Minnesota, and if the Vikings don’t get Cousins, why not go after Foles? Here’s one reason: The Eagles already got a first- and fourth-round pick out of the Vikings for Sam Bradford. Here’s another: There’s no reason to think Foles will definitely be the guy in Minnesota that he was for a handful of games in Philly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/with-keenum-and-brees-gone-where-do-the-vikings-go-at-quarterback/

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

5. Nick Foles: Yes, Nick Foles. Former Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo now runs the offense in Minnesota, and if the Vikings don’t get Cousins, why not go after Foles? Here’s one reason: The Eagles already got a first- and fourth-round pick out of the Vikings for Sam Bradford. Here’s another: There’s no reason to think Foles will definitely be the guy in Minnesota that he was for a handful of games in Philly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/with-keenum-and-brees-gone-where-do-the-vikings-go-at-quarterback/

Rather use the picks required to do this, coupled with more picks, to move up in the draft and get a QB.

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Well, Kind of.... if we would have signed Case we wouldn’t be getting that 3rd round pick either..

That is true. Signing Case would have also cost the team a 3rd round pick - still a bargain for a starting QB.

Putting too much into the comp pick formula isn't advisable. Would be a terrible strategy to go into the year without a proven starting QB just to get a comp pick. It is something that is worth factoring in on the periphery of these decisions though.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

That is true. Signing Case would have also cost the team a 3rd round pick - still a bargain for a starting QB.

Putting too much into the comp pick formula isn't advisable. Would be a terrible strategy to go into the year without a proven starting QB just to get a comp pick. It is something that is worth factoring in on the periphery of these decisions though.

Agreed. If you really look at it, unless you have a QB playing on their rookie contract, almost every team gave up a “3rd round comp pick” to sign their starting QB. 

Just don't understand why Bradford is even an option for us at this point. That is ridiculous gamble for a guy who's ceiling is the same if not less than Kirk Cousins. Maybe it's just me but investing in Bradford just isn't logical because then you also have to invest in another QB because it's almost a guarantee that Bradford is going to get hurt at some point. For me right now it's 1) Cousins 2) Teddy 3) Trade and draft a QB in the 1st round 4) Another FA QB 5) Bradford

3 minutes ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Just don't understand why Bradford is even an option for us at this point. That is ridiculous gamble for a guy who's ceiling is the same if not less than Kirk Cousins. Maybe it's just me but investing in Bradford just isn't logical because then you also have to invest in another QB because it's almost a guarantee that Bradford is going to get hurt at some point. For me right now it's 1) Cousins 2) Teddy 3) Trade and draft a QB in the 1st round 4) Another FA QB 5) Bradford

If Bradford could be counted on to be healthy, he's a better QB than Cousins.  In my mind, there's no real debate over that, because, next to Rodgers, he's probably the most pure passer in the NFL.  He is probably the modern day version of Drew Bledsoe.     

45 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

He might not be better than Keenum last year, but I really doubt that he will suck. We've seen enough of him to know what the team is getting. The team is getting an average QB. He won't be great but he isn't going to stink either. He'll make some plays that makes us really scratch our heads from time to time but he will also make some really nice plays.

He better win the dang Super Bowl!!

Archived