What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm pretty sure they know exactly who they want.

There's 1,000 of us with different opinions on this forum. There's 3-4 people (Spielman/Zimmer/JDF/maybe Brz) at New Winter Park and I'm pretty sure they've come to a consensus by now.

It's easier for 3-4 people to get on the same page than 1,000! 

It's more than just about who they want. Just because Kirk Cousins may be No. 1 on the priority list doesn't mean they'd be willing to fork over $100 million/year if that's what the player and his agent were demanding.

They have a pecking order. It's not as easy as saying Cousins will be here because they want him the most, though.

1 hour ago, Purplexing said:

More important; different readers plugging in their guess as to the chances of winning a SB for different QBs creates a bias, based on their subjective opinions. 

Of course, this is why I followed up with the data on QBs that have won SBs in teh free agent era. If we arrive at a consensus opinion on how those guys rank it mitigates this problem and we can base our assumptions on empirical data. There will always be biases but going with the wisdom of crowds...

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The way I set it up, all other things were equal. The team spends $90M in three years either way. This was based on the hypothetical posed by Mr @Klomp to which I was responding.

I get what you were going for by doing it that way, but I don't agree with it. You can't really factor $10 million for that third year because you don't really know. How can you put a projection on something that's TBD?

It's a two-year situation and then reassess. Maybe you spend over $10 million the next year, maybe next.

54 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I want Kirk because I think he brings the best chance at finally getting consistency at the position. Kirk would (hopefully) mean 3 or more years of one QB behind center. Something we haven't had since Tommy Kramer.

While I understand consistency is what everyone wants, if he's not the best option are you willing to sacrifice upside for consistency?

I'm not saying I don't want Cousins. I just think the reason we go after him needs to be about how good the team can be with him, not just about hopefully having the same QB under center for multiple years.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

I get what you were going for by doing it that way, but I don't agree with it. You can't really factor $10 million for that third year because you don't really know. How can you put a projection on something that's TBD?

It's a two-year situation and then reassess. Maybe you spend over $10 million the next year, maybe next.

Yeah, that is true but leaving that unknown makes any comparison quite a bit more difficult. Then you need to get into all the things that Mr @Purplexing was talking about. We don't have a super computer here.

7 minutes ago, Klomp said:

It's more than just about who they want. Just because Kirk Cousins may be No. 1 on the priority list doesn't mean they'd be willing to fork over $100 million/year if that's what the player and his agent were demanding.

They have a pecking order. It's not as easy as saying Cousins will be here because they want him the most, though.

Well no duh. I never said it was easy..

I'm just saying they know who they WANT not they know who they're GETTING.

Just like they know who they want in a draft but it doesn't mean they're going to get what they want. They can still want Kirk or Drew or whoever more than anyone else but it doesn't mean they can get who they want if the contract is bad.

I think the Rolling Stones made a song this...."You can't always get what you want."

13 minutes ago, Klomp said:

While I understand consistency is what everyone wants, if he's not the best option are you willing to sacrifice upside for consistency?

I'm not saying I don't want Cousins. I just think the reason we go after him needs to be about how good the team can be with him, not just about hopefully having the same QB under center for multiple years.

And the reason I want him is because, in my opinion, he's the best person for the job AND the closest thing to consistency on the market. 

I just don't want a QB for consistencies sake. You could give the job to Sloter or go sign McCarron and let him start for 3-4 years if you want that. I want a consistently good QB. Kirk is that, IMO.

I also said I'd rather have Brees for 1-2 years than Kirk for 3+ years because he's the better QB so I don't see your argument?

5 minutes ago, Klomp said:

The main thing I was getting at: Higher cap number on a shorter deal OR a smaller cap number on a longer deal?

This can't be answered without knowing the guy, or at least more details. The longer the track record, the more confident I am to sign a guy longterm. More unknowns means more likely you value the benefit in being able to get out sooner even if it cost more per year for a year or two.....this is why I would have just franchised Case and been done with it. That said, if the team lures Brees it would be far better than tagging Case.

I would have rather had Case for one year than Case for 4 years even if it is slightly less per year for each of those 4 years. Pay a premium for the escape hatch on something with that short of a track record.

17 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

This can't be answered without knowing the guy, or at least more details. The longer the track record, the more confident I am to sign a guy longterm. More unknowns means more likely you value the benefit in being able to get out sooner even if it cost more per year for a year or two.....this is why I would have just franchised Case and been done with it. That said, if the team lures Brees it would be far better than tagging Case.

I would have rather had Case for one year than Case for 4 years even if it is slightly less per year for each of those 4 years. Pay a premium for the escape hatch on something with that short of a track record.

This type of scenario (franchising Case) would almost force you into using a relatively high pick on the QB position, though to try an ensure some long term stability at the position. So, now you’re talking a big number for Case, investing draft capital, and the contract that goes with that pick.

18 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I also said I'd rather have Brees for 1-2 years than Kirk for 3+ years because he's the better QB so I don't see your argument?

Sorry, I know I quoted you. But it was more to get a basis for my response because I've seen multiple people bring up wanting consistency at the position, not because I thought you only considered consistency.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

Sorry, I know I quoted you. But it was more to get a basis for my response because I've seen multiple people bring up wanting consistency at the position, not because I thought you only considered consistency.

Oh no worries lol. I know what you're saying.

You'd like consistency but the consistency has to be good. Like yogurt. Who want chunky yogurt?

Archived