What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

No idea who this guy is, but....

NFL insider Adam Caplan was on SiriusXM NFL Radio with Zig Fracassi on Saturday and said that Cousins will sign with the Vikings in a deal that pays him "at least $27 million per season."

https://247sports.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/Bolt/Insider-says-Kirk-Cousins-is-heading-to-Vikings-116080531

After talking to a number of NFL sources at the combine, I thought we’d go through a little exercise, to take an educated guess at how the Vikings might be able to get a deal done with Cousins, retain a number of their own free agents and leave themselves enough money for other deals this year and extensions in the future.

A $177.2 million salary cap for 2018, coupled with the Vikings’ $13.4 million of leftover space from 2017, gives them an adjusted salary cap of $190.6 million for 2018. If the salary cap continues to rise at a rate of around $11 million-$12 million a year, as it has in recent seasons, it would be around $190 million in 2019 and between $200 million and $202 million in 2020 (before team-specific adjustments).

Cousins is reportedly seeking a three-year, fully guaranteed deal in the neighborhood of $90 million, though it remains to be seen what he’ll actually receive and whether the Vikings would be willing to go that high. For now, we’ll assume a three-year guaranteed deal for $84 million, which would help him surpass Jimmy Garoppolo’s average annual salary of $27.5 million (albeit with a shorter deal).

The Vikings would need to give Cousins plenty of cash up front, likely through a modest signing bonus and a roster bonus that puts a large chunk of the cap hit in Year 1 of the deal. It inherently means the Vikings would eclipse the 10 percent cap space threshold in 2018, since Cousins would likely carry a cap figure well north of $30 million in the first year.

We’ll give Cousins a $9 million signing bonus, as well as a $32 million roster bonus and $2 million base salary in Year 1. That puts plenty of cash in his pocket early (though roster bonuses of that magnitude are often paid out in a couple of installments), and takes a $37.25 million bite out of the salary cap in Year 1 (counting an annual $250,000 workout bonus). In Years 2 and 3, though, when the Vikings need cap space for Diggs, Hunter, Kendricks and Barr, they’d have only $46.75 million in cap space left to devote to Cousins.

In 2019 and 2020, we’ll give Cousins fully guaranteed base salaries of $20 million and $20.25 million, respectively, as well as his workout bonus. Counting his signing bonus prorations, he’s got cap numbers of $23.25 million and $23.5 million in Years 2 and 3.

Assuming a $37.25 million cap number in 2018 for Cousins, the Vikings still have $11.64 million in available cap space, and they could recoup a few million by restructuring deals for veterans Brian Robison, Jarius Wright and Latavius Murray. They’d need a backup quarterback, possibly another tackle if they move Mike Remmers to guard, some cash for modest deals on their in-house free agents and money for draft picks.

But with the Cousins deal that was just outlined and moves that recoup, say, another $6 million in cap space, the Vikings would still have $17.64 million to spare for 2018. And by the time they need to pay some of their other young players, Cousins’ cap figure, as a percentage of the Vikings’ overall spending, would be roughly in line with what other teams spend on their passers. They would have nearly $50 million left for 2019, and $91 million for 2020 (with plenty of players to be signed between now and then, of course).

http://www.startribune.com/if-you-trust-the-math-there-is-a-way-for-the-vikings-to-afford-kirk-cousins/476468213/

47 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I think throw number 9 in that video (ducking 1 sack, finding Thielen for a first, and getting smacked against LAR) should be rated a lot higher than it is. That play is the most representative of Keenum's season and one of the major reasons that I think fans really embraced him.

Wow, Keenum is so good! Fun watching that. How many QBs have a top ten throw highlight film that good? I would dare say that not many do. And Keenum is still developing as a QB in the NFL.

I'll be rooting for Case wherever he goes as long as it is not against the Vikings.

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Number 9: "no, no, NO! NO! YES!"

His second TD pass to Kyle Rudolph on Thanksgiving was better than most of those and I'd go as far as to say it was his best non-Minnesota Miracle pass. It should have been on the list.

Video's like this are why I would be fine with us keeping Case (and hopefully using the extra cap space to have Teddy return as well). Then looking at all of his bad tape from this year and years past is still what scares me. Keenum did a lot of good this year, and his ability to avoid pressure made for a lot of highlight reel film, but it also seems like the playmakers around him elevated the whole offense. Keenum was a facilitator for those playmakers, and became a feel good story because of it. I feel like there are a decent amount of average QB's who would garner close to the same results as long as they are able to get the cards to fall well, just like Keenum did this year. With an improved O-line, it stands to reason that an even better QB will be able to have some pretty incredible results. 

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe:

“The Vikings told Teddy Bridgewater at the Combine last weekend that they intend to pursue Cousins, per a league source, but that Bridgewater remains a viable backup plan.

I understand the team going after Cousins, especially if you don't concern yourself with Money. He's an upgrade over all of our QB's from the previous year and where their skill was. What I like is that the team is still considering Teddy as an option. This tells me that they beleive his injury won't prevent him from being a franchise guy, and that was still my biggest concern. Now when you throw money into the equations, I feel like Teddy and Kirk should be considered a lot closer to one another. Hopefully if Kirk outprices himself, or goes somewhere else, Teddy will still be available and we can get him back.

Archived