Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 5/15/2018 at 12:01 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

On this whole Allison discussion, he's a perfect example of what I hate about McCarthy and Rodgers. 

Cobb did not play against Cincinnati.  Allison replaced him.  Allison had 6 receptions for 122 yards against the Bengals.  Breakout performance some might say.  Nope.  Allison had 2 receptions over the next 9 games.   In 2016, Allison had 4 receptions for 91 yards and a touchdown in the final game of the season.  We were in the playoffs and only playing that game to determine the division winner.  Why did he get that opportunity?  Because Cobb didn't play.  In fact, Cobb didn't play the previous game, in which Allison had 4 receptions for 66 yards.  Cobb didn't play against Atlanta in 2016, either.  Allison had 2 catches and a TD. 

So in four games of Allison replacing Cobb, Allison had 16 catches for 300 yards and 2 touchdowns.  That's 18.75 yards per catch in games he replaces Cobb.  He has the ability, he has skill and talent, he never sees the effing field. 

Geronimo Allison has a lot of talent, and anyone who says otherwise isn't being fair to Allison.  He can't perform if he's not given the opportunity, just like a ton of receivers throughout Aaron's time here. 

Allison played on over 32% of the offense's snaps.  I don't think its right to blame McCarthy when there have been times where Allison got plenty of opportunity and played awful.   He's a Jarrett Boykin caliber of player that is as bad of athlete as any player in the league at his position.  Can he work for short stints, maybe, but he's not a starting caliber WR who you are going to have any sort of success with.

Have you looked at the games after the games you mentioned?  After the Cincy game Allison got over 30% of the offensive snaps and wasn't able to manage even a single catch.  The next week he got over 20% of the snaps and again rewarded the coaching staff with no catches.  How does one expect him to get more amount of opportunity when he can't capitalize on the opportunities he is getting?  Hard to put a guy on the field when his play isn't justifying it when you've got Adams, Nelson and Cobb.

I guess we'll find out next year because its looking like we're going to need 700-1000 yards from Allison which I believe to be very unlikely given his limitations.  

• Like 1

Just now, SSG said:

Allison played on over 32% of the offense's snaps.  I don't think its right to blame McCarthy when there have been times where Allison got plenty of opportunity and played awful.   He's a Jarrett Boykin caliber of player that is as bad of athlete as any player in the league at his position.  Can he work for short stints, maybe, but he's not a starting caliber WR who you are going to have any sort of success with.

Have you looked at the games after the games you mentioned?  After the Cincy game Allison got over 30% of the offensive snaps and wasn't able to manage even a single catch.  The next week he got over 20% of the snaps and again rewarded the coaching staff with no catches.  How does one expect him to get more amount of opportunity when he can't capitalize on the opportunities he is getting?  Hard to put a guy on the field when his play isn't justifying it when you've got Adams, Nelson and Cobb.

I guess we'll find out next year because its looking like we're going to need 700-1000 yards from Allison which I believe to be very unlikely given his limitations.  

I'd really like to look at the all-22 and see how often players actually get open for us.  Based on a lot of little things I've seen over the years, I have a feeling Rodgers sometimes just doesn't throw to certain receivers.  Can't prove it obviously, but it's what I think. 

20 minutes ago, SSG said:

Why does it have to be one thing or another?  And why are we making the assumption that Geronimo Allison is our starting WR over the course of the entire season?  Is it not entirely possible that Allison starts the year as our #3, and then one of our rookies eventually replaces him?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why does it have to be one thing or another?  And why are we making the assumption that Geronimo Allison is our starting WR over the course of the entire season?  Is it not entirely possible that Allison starts the year as our #3, and then one of our rookies eventually replaces him?

Either scenario scares the living hell out of me...way too much risk to be taking.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Either scenario scares the living hell out of me...way too much risk to be taking.

Why, because they're not name players?  I think some of you need to check your expectations of teams' 3rd WR.  I mean, go look at the top 5 teams in terms of passing yards (LAC, NEP, PIT, TAM, and NO) and how much their #3 WRs made last year.  Chargers had Travis Benjamin ($6.5M), Patriots had Danny Amendola ($1.7M), Steelers had Martavis Bryant ($0.7M), Tampa Bay had Adam Humphries ($0.6M), and New Orleans had Brandon Coleman ($0.6M).  The Chargers are clearly the anomaly in this group, since the Chargers top 2 WRs were Keenan Allen and and Tyrell Williams who had a combined $9.2M cap hit last year.  Adams alone has a cap hit of $10.5M this year.  If you don't think the Packers would feel the difference between signing Dez at $5M or whatever he'd want and what they're spending on Allison and their rookies.

27 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd really like to look at the all-22 and see how often players actually get open for us.  Based on a lot of little things I've seen over the years, I have a feeling Rodgers sometimes just doesn't throw to certain receivers.  Can't prove it obviously, but it's what I think. 

And you could be right but its not a stretch to believe that one of the NFL's worst athletes at his position may have issues getting consistent separation which is why the coaching staff wasn't stealing a bunch of snaps from Nelson, Cobb or Adams.  

Allison got a large chunk of his yards last year on the 72 yard completion against the Bengals.  It was a free play and a terribly blown coverage (or just terrible coverage by the DB).  

Just now, SSG said:

And you could be right but its not a stretch to believe that one of the NFL's worst athletes at his position may have issues getting consistent separation which is why the coaching staff wasn't stealing a bunch of snaps from Nelson, Cobb or Adams.  

Allison got a large chunk of his yards last year on the 72 yard completion against the Bengals.  It was a free play and a terribly blown coverage (or just terrible coverage by the DB).  

Allison is also 6-3 with really long arms and he isn't as slow as people make him out to be.  40 of those 72 yards came after he made the catch and juked the corner literally onto his butt.  He ain't any slower than Randall Cobb at this point, and he's got a larger catch radius, thus needs less separation. 

rodgersgoat.0.gif

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because I think the chances of a WR going from the bottom of his draft class to starting in Green Bay is slim to none.  I think all 3 of the rookies are MASSIVE projects (Like Jeff Janis-esk projects).  They are much better athletes than football players which was the reason they were viewed in the bottom of their draft class which was one of the least talented WR classes in a long long time.  

I hope I'm wrong but I think we're going to need to see an amazing season from Allison if we're going to see the caliber of offense we're accustomed too.  

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why, because they're not name players?  I think some of you need to check your expectations of teams' 3rd WR.  I mean, go look at the top 5 teams in terms of passing yards (LAC, NEP, PIT, TAM, and NO) and how much their #3 WRs made last year.  Chargers had Travis Benjamin ($6.5M), Patriots had Danny Amendola ($1.7M), Steelers had Martavis Bryant ($0.7M), Tampa Bay had Adam Humphries ($0.6M), and New Orleans had Brandon Coleman ($0.6M).  The Chargers are clearly the anomaly in this group, since the Chargers top 2 WRs were Keenan Allen and and Tyrell Williams who had a combined $9.2M cap hit last year.  Adams alone has a cap hit of $10.5M this year.  If you don't think the Packers would feel the difference between signing Dez at $5M or whatever he'd want and what they're spending on Allison and their rookies.

Geronimo Allison is a named player. I've seen him play. You expecting him to magically change and be better this year is unrealistic. The rookies are day 3 picks. Check the stats on how they usually turn out, especially in year 1. Again...risk and a lot of it. Don't see the point in gambling when you have 12. We have extra money, spend it.

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Allison is also 6-3 with really long arms and he isn't as slow as people make him out to be.  40 of those 72 yards came after he made the catch and juked the corner literally onto his butt.  He ain't any slower than Randall Cobb at this point, and he's got a larger catch radius, thus needs less separation. 

rodgersgoat.0.gif

We're going to have to agree to disagree.  I  think he's as bad of an athlete as there is in the NFL at his position.  I don't see anything special in that play.  It was the result of horrid defense more so than a great play from Allison IMO.  

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think its a money thing. Pretty sure we paid our top 3 WRs and starting TE MORE than we're scheduled to pay those same group this year.  

The group is less talented too IMO.  The drop off from Nelson to Allison is substantially steeper than the drop off from Graham to Bennett IMO.

Edited by SSG